Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Pro Wrestling Thread

metaldams · 256 · 73117

Offline metaldams

Hulk Hogan's such a liar.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172499

He claims to have tried out for Metallica in the early days.  As somebody who is a Metallica and wrestling nerd, I can tell you the story just does not match up (Metallica started in LA in 1981 while Hogan was in the AWA), but hey, it makes for fun reading, including Lars Ulrich's denial.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Buff Bagwell seriously injured in crash - http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/pro-wrestler-buff-bagwell-1425460.html?cxtype=rss_news_81963

That's really a shame, I hope he gets better.  There are too many wrestlers dying young already, we don't need another.  I remember one time on live TV he got legitmately hurt by a Rick Steiner top rope bulldog.  When they came back from commercial break, they had to cancel the next match because the paramedics were still in the ring trying to remove him. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

In case any of you need legal advice.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Here's one from the family archives. Previously in this thread, I mentioned I have a cousin who used to be a wrestler.  I saw him recently, and he showed me a picture from when he visited me years ago.  Ah, bullshit, I'll spill the beans.  Back when I was 14, an awkwardly pubescent looking lad, I was NWA North American Champion.  Here's me posing with my belt.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I see that I'm not the only Stooge fan that also likes pro wrestling. I suppose that mayhem is the connection. The video features my favorite wrestler (may he R.I.P) from the WWF era on Arsenio who can't resist messing around with Morgan Fairchild, who handles him pretty good. Looks like it was recorded directly from a TV screen so the quality is poor, but it's a hoot regardless.

BTW, I read the instructions for posting a video but I don't see the You Tube icon mentioned.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm surprised I have not posted in this thread before. I guess it's because I'm not into wrestling as much as I used to be--certainly the pro wrestling scene of today is a shell of what it used to be compared to the excitement of the Monday Night Wars.

I still keep up with what's going on today; and Kane is my favorite & I'm interested to see if Brock Lesnar can stop the reign of SuperCena. I'm also hoping it won't be too long before the WWE finally releases a DVD about Sting's career....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

I'm completely through with it now. Can't stand it. It became over saturated when Ted Turner jumped in. Just too much of a "good" thing.

Offline Lefty

This 400th post of mine is a Happy Birthday shout-out to Paul Michael Levesque and his shovel (age 45), Shannon Moore and his Book of Dilligaf (age 35), and Nicholas Theodore Nemeth and his pink Show-Off shirt (age 34).

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Not that I pay much attention to the "sport" anymore--but while perusing through the latest WWE youtube clips, I see Kane has been unmasked for the 10 millionth time in his career. Stuff like this just makes me wonder why I even bother with wrestling at all?

::)

:-\
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Not that I pay much attention to the "sport" anymore--but while perusing through the latest WWE youtube clips, I see Kane has been unmasked for the 10 millionth time in his career. Stuff like this just makes me wonder why I even bother with wrestling at all?

::)

:-\

I have no clue what the heck Kane is up to professionally these days, but as Glenn Jacobs, his real name, I have watched speeches and read articles about economics the guy has done.  He's a smart guy.

If you would've told the 25 year old version of me that the 35 year old version of me would be interested more in Kane's economic thought than his wrestling matches, I'd say you are crazy.  Funny how life works out, but I absolutely cannot get into modern wrestling.  I can watch the old stuff on YouTube all day.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, while I wasn't paying attention, I see that last week WWE finally released a DVD set for Sting. Myself and no doubt countless other Sting fans have waited years for WWE to release a volume about the Stinger--so hopefully this will deliver the goods--although I get the feeling that after I buy the DVD, I will have some reservations about the matches WWE chose to include or rather the stuff they chose not to include.

I can see from reading some Amazon reviews that quite a few of my favorite Sting matches were not included on this set--but as I eluded to earlier, the fact that WWE finally put together a Sting collection is reason enough for me to drop my money down later in the week....

Offline Lefty

While the WWE did the right thing in calling off last night's Raw in Hartford and tonight's Smackdown in Boston, to be live in Hartford this Thursday, they really dropped the ball making Roman Reigns the Royal Rumble winner in Philly Sunday night.  Last year it was Batista in Pittsburgh, whose win was not well-received, now this.  I guess we won't be having WWE's #2 PPV in Pennsylvania for a long time to come.  And while Michael Cole said that the RR was to be shown in its entirety last night, not included was Titus O'Neill's 4-second stay as the #25 entrant.

Offline metaldams

While the WWE did the right thing in calling off last night's Raw in Hartford and tonight's Smackdown in Boston, to be live in Hartford this Thursday, they really dropped the ball making Roman Reigns the Royal Rumble winner in Philly Sunday night.  Last year it was Batista in Pittsburgh, whose win was not well-received, now this.  I guess we won't be having WWE's #2 PPV in Pennsylvania for a long time to come.  And while Michael Cole said that the RR was to be shown in its entirety last night, not included was Titus O'Neill's 4-second stay as the #25 entrant.

Bear in mind this is coming from somebody who lived and breathe wrestling for a twenty year period in his life...who the Hell is Roman Reigns?  He's winning the Royal Rumble, obviously, so I've REALLY lost touch.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Losing touch with today's wrestling is nothing to feel bad about. If it weren't for the internet I would probably be out of touch as well--seeing as how I can't be bothered to watch WWE programming at all. I still enjoy the hell out of the "old stuff" from the 1980s and 90s though--I could match someone like Ric Flair make in-ring magic with almost anyone he squared off against.

Aaah, the good old days--where did they go...   [cool]

Offline metaldams

Only viewable on PC and not mobile devices, but speaking of the good old days here is Ric Flair vs. Bret Hart, 11/13/91, New Haven, CT.  A not quite 13 year old Metaldams was in the 7th row along with his brother, Dad, and Godfather (R.I.P.).  As far as I know, this was the first time they ever faced off, I have researched and cannot find an earlier match.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HRPxFJqpuo
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Sting vs. Triple H--I'm thinking that would have been a really good match 10 or 15 years ago; don't know how it will play out in 2015. I just hope WWE treats Sting with a little more respect than some of the other former WCW stars who went to work for Vincent Kennedy McMahon--poor Diamond Dallas Page....

Offline metaldams

Whenever I see this thread resurrected, I think, "Oh shit, who died?"

But you know, I'm kind of disappointed Sting is in WWE, though this is my first time hearing of this.  I always liked the fact he was the only big star of his era who never worked for McMahon.  Not anymore, I guess.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

But you know, I'm kind of disappointed Sting is in WWE, though this is my first time hearing of this.  I always liked the fact he was the only big star of his era who never worked for McMahon.  Not anymore, I guess.

I guess Sting had no choice but to go to work for VKM, seeing as how there was nothing left for him in the sinkhole that is TNA Wrestling. Again, I just hope he gets treated right by WWE & maybe another DVD collection for the man would be nice too. There's so much stuff the Best of Sting didn't cover....

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline metaldams

A trial that my cousin is dealing with...

Cancer Alters Stroudsburg Pro Wrestler's Dream

That's terrible Brent.  Great he's trying to help children when he has every right to think only of himself, speaks well of his character.  I wish him well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

WrestleMania 31 is tomorrow in Santa Clara.  The weather forecast is for a high of 82 degrees, a low of 52 degrees, and totally sunny.  I guess we'll have to wait for a future WM card with rain.

The Fatal 4-Way tag team title tussle and the 20-man Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal have been put on the 2-hour pre-show, and just 7 matches are slated for the 4-hour regular show.  Raw is bad enough having maybe a half hour of wrestling in 3 hours, but it looks as though musical dreck and "grand entrances" of certain wrestlers is going to take up more time than the matches themselves.  I do not envy anyone who pays full PPV price for this event.

Offline Lefty

A pro wrestler (someone I have never heard of) pulling his son's tooth with a car -- something the Stooges would have been proud of, or done had they been more modern:

(I was hoping that the tooth would have stayed in the kid's mouth and the bumper would have come off the car.)