Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Pro Wrestling Thread

metaldams · 256 · 65100

Offline HomokHarcos

A couple of reasons I like this: 1) I think this was one of Bret's final days as a "face" in the WWF, before he essentially kicked off the Attitude Era by snapping on an episode of Monday Night Raw. Pity I can't remember the exact date, but I'm sure it happened in March, before that epic match with Steve Austin at WM13...

And 2) I always loved that "Winged Eagle" championship belt. The WCW Big Gold will always be #1 for me, but the Winged Eagle is a close 2nd...

Originally that battle royal was a number one contender match to decide the WrestleMania main event but then Shawn “lost his smile” and the match became for championship. It was the Raw right before WrestleMania when Bret did that angry promo. It was Bret vs Sid with the stipulation that whomever came out as champion would face their opponent for the title. Undertaker wanted Sid to remain champion and cost Bret the match.

Offline HomokHarcos

Since you two are old enough to remember 1999 did any of you watch the event where Owen Hart died? If not how did you find out about the news and what was your reaction? To me that event more than any other makes me disgusted with WWE.

Offline metaldams

Since you two are old enough to remember 1999 did any of you watch the event where Owen Hart died? If not how did you find out about the news and what was your reaction? To me that event more than any other makes me disgusted with WWE.

I didn’t watch it live but heard about it the next morning.  It was in the newspaper and I found out from my Mom.  When my Mom, of all people, asked me if I knew who Owen Hart was, I knew something was wrong.  It was definitely a big deal and both tragic and avoidable.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I didn't order the ppv, so I didn't know anything about what happened 'til the next night on Raw. I also remember the heated debate surrounding Owen's death as far as, should Vince McMahon have cancelled the show after Owen's accident, instead of continuing the event. There were some eye opening conversations about that & reading some of the details about Owen's death in Bret Hart's book really made me feel sad & maybe a few other emotions I'm not sure I can describe....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and for years I’ve had a hunch, but now after doing research, it’s confirmed my first live wrestling event, 11/13/1991, New Haven CT was the first time Ric Flair ever faced Bret Hart.  Easily the best match of the night.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2z7xs9
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

That decision to continue the show after Owen died was pretty bad, but to be fair they were in a state of shock and probably couldn't process what was going on. It was the way McMahon acted in court that was upsetting.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and for years I’ve had a hunch, but now after doing research, it’s confirmed my first live wrestling event, 11/13/1991, New Haven CT was the first time Ric Flair ever faced Bret Hart.  Easily the best match of the night.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2z7xs9
That match was fun. Mr. Perfect was a good match for Ric Flair's manager. I noticed they kept hyping up a Ric Flair-Hulk Hogan confrontation, that would not end up in a WrestleMania match like they were suggesting.

Offline metaldams

That decision to continue the show after Owen died was pretty bad, but to be fair they were in a state of shock and probably couldn't process what was going on. It was the way McMahon acted in court that was upsetting.
That match was fun. Mr. Perfect was a good match for Ric Flair's manager. I noticed they kept hyping up a Ric Flair-Hulk Hogan confrontation, that would not end up in a WrestleMania match like they were suggesting.

The saddest bit was just minutes after Owen died and Debra McMichael crying her eyes out during an interview.  There was no way she could play it straight and who can blame her?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline HomokHarcos

Since I'm working nights I am up from around 5 PM to 9 AM, I've started watching Japanese wrestling since they air in a good timeslot for me. I like that they are faction heavy, my favorite stables currently are:

Los Ingobernables de Japon

Offline HomokHarcos

Had a lot of fun watching the AEW PPV last night. I never would have thought the match with a 60+ year old Sting would be my favorite, but my brother and I enjoyed it a lot. After years of mainly just watching clips and shows from the 1980s-early 2000s I'm starting to get into watching current wrestling, and pleased with it. Although WWE itself is not too great right now, I'm enjoying the smaller promotions from America and Japan.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I haven't watched a live ppv in years, but I've heard nothing but good reviews so far for AEW's latest. I think my only major wish for AEW right now is to see Bryan Danielson become the World Champ somewhere in the near future..

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I just watched a replay online of Revolution and you were right Homok, that was a hell of a show--honestly, not a bad match on the entire card. I'm really glad AEW has rekindled my love for pro wrestling, since WWE is all but dead....

Offline HomokHarcos

I just watched a replay online of Revolution and you were right Homok, that was a hell of a show--honestly, not a bad match on the entire card. I'm really glad AEW has rekindled my love for pro wrestling, since WWE is all but dead....
Almost any match could be an acceptable pick for best of the night. I also liked when William Regal debuted, he got a huge pop. WWE is currently teasing a Stone Cold Steve Austin return to get fans back.

Offline metaldams

The guy doing this shoot interview is married to my Dad’s cousin.  He’s a good dude.  He feuded with The Sandman and did the whole kendo stick thing early on - a big part of how hardcore wrestling caught on in the 90’s.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

The guy doing this shoot interview is married to my Dad’s cousin.  He’s a good dude.  He feuded with The Sandman and did the whole kendo stick thing early on - a big part of how hardcore wrestling caught on in the 90’s.
Oh, so you have a personal collection to a wrestler! I admit I’m not too familiar with ECW, so I didn’t know who he was.

Offline metaldams

Oh, so you have a personal collection to a wrestler! I admit I’m not too familiar with ECW, so I didn’t know who he was.

Notice who his female opponent is in the mixed tag match.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

One more plug for my cousin, he’s now doing an online podcast going over historical wrestling stuff.  This is the first podcast that aired tonight, going over the history of wrestling all the way back to the beginning of the 20th century.  There will be new episodes every Sunday night.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Thanks for sharing that! I’ll be sure to listen to it as the big wrestling fan I am. I’ve watched 1950s wrestling on YouTube, but am not too versed in the history before that.

It’s hard not to feel sad watching Nancy Benoit knowing what ended up happening to her. She was part of the Army of Darkness in Championship Wrestling from Florida led by Kevin Sullivan, one of the coolest factions.

Offline metaldams

Thanks for sharing that! I’ll be sure to listen to it as the big wrestling fan I am. I’ve watched 1950s wrestling on YouTube, but am not too versed in the history before that.

It’s hard not to feel sad watching Nancy Benoit knowing what ended up happening to her. She was part of the Army of Darkness in Championship Wrestling from Florida led by Kevin Sullivan, one of the coolest factions.

Yeah, the video actually goes back to the carny days to the present and Tom gives his commentary throughout.  Pretty good video.

The Florida stuff I need to watch more but I know she worked with, like you said, her then real life husband, Kevin Sullivan.  The first time I saw Nancy was when she played Rick Steiner’s girlfriend.  Rick was portrayed as this dorky guy and she was dressed as a nerdy girl.  Then one night he went over her house for a date and she was her va-va voom character we all know her for.  She then betrayed Rick and managed Doom.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline HomokHarcos

The territories brought some awesome wrestling. Here is a classic WCCW match, the Freebirds turning heel and costing Kerry von Erich the match.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It seems like when most people reflect on the best period in wrestling, the 90s and the Monday Night Wars are the first to get mentioned, but I would say the NWA in the 80s was just as great, if not greater. I guess having a guy like Flair carrying the promotion didn't hurt much, either....   ;)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think if anyone was ever comparable to Flair in his prime, it was definitely the Hitman. He probably could have carried Doink the Clown or the Brooklyn Brawler to a 5-star match & made them look like legit contenders for the WWF title...