The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Pro Wrestling Thread

metaldams · 256 · 63806

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Dr. D was a great wrestler but an absolute idiot, which is why he never became a huge star. Had he played ball he would have made a lot more money.

Is this the clip you are talking about?

[youtube=425,350]rlHO3OUnz2A[/youtube]

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Woh-man!

Oh yeah, that is the clip!  Whatever the reason, it's a shame he didn't last longer.  Love the rope belt on his wife.

[youtube=425,350]zrX9Ca7LSyQ[/youtube]

;D

He claims McMahon put him up to this, who knows.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It was the Stossel incident combined with him being a complete and utter dick backstage that got him shit canned. I hardly believe Vince told him to physically harm Stossel, a man about 1/4 the size of Shultz for asking if wrestling was fake and do so on camera. Vince might be many things but "total fucking idiot" is not one of them.

Dr. D was my mom's favorite wrestler during that era and he could have written a page in the record books with an early main event program against Hogan. Sad fact is he has no one to blame but himself for ruining it.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

It wasn't always easy to catch on TV, but ECW was indeed "extreme" back in the 90s -

[youtube=425,350]2fkCtuAncm0[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I used to watch it on MSG back in the mid-late 90's. It was something different and refreshing and gave the WWF the "attitude".

Offline Lefty

TNA now has this "Wrestling Matters" scheme for the TV show.  If that's the case, then why was there just 22:29 of wrestling time in a 2-hour show this past week?  That's 5 matches, lasting about 4:30 apiece on average, including the main event.  That feather-brained imbecile Hogan gets more TV time than the wrestlers.  Of course, back in the 1970s, when WWWF TV matches were mostly squashes, there was more wrestling time than that in a one-hour show.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Obviously it's their answer to WWE treating "wrestling" like it's a swear word. They are not wrestlers they are "superstars and divas", they do not put on wrestling shows they put on "entertainment programs" etc.  You can't put all of the blame on Hogan for TNA's problems: he's by far the biggest name on the program and they want to branch out their audience so it makes since to give him a prominent on air role. At least he isn't wrestling at this point in time. I'm hearing rumors that 52 year old Sting will be defending the TNA Title against 62 year old Ric Flair in the future. That's not the only problem of course: their biggest issue is that they tape every Impact and almost every PPV in front of the same internet smarks that show up at Universal Studios in Orlando. If they would tape at different locations in front of different people they'd get more active crowds even if the crowds were smaller.

The writing is also terrible. There's a stupid zombie angle going on with a couple of the women that causes me to no longer pay attention on the rare occasions that I watch Impact (like this past Thursday). If you think the WWE creative trust is bad (and they are) Russo and Company are much worse.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
it's simply a form of entertainment that appeals to some and not others.

Not a wrestling fan, and know absolutely nothing about it. But it's in the family... my cousin is a pro wrestler.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Best of luck to your cousin, it's a tough business to break into and actually succeed: especially these days.

Offline metaldams

Not a wrestling fan, and know absolutely nothing about it. But it's in the family... my cousin is a pro wrestler.

Good luck to your cousin, but quite frankly, if he were to step in the ring with my cousin, he'd be looking at the ceiling lights.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Cairo

...and to put the rumors to rest, he does pay his biils.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

A pretty sad sight... especially when you consider what he was in the 90s. I had no idea he had gotten in such bad shape.

http://espn.go.com/video/category?id=3060647

THE SCOTT HALL STORY (18 min)

In his prime, Scott Hall was a mountain of a man - 6-foot-7, 290 pounds of solidly sculptured muscle, appearing as close as invincible as they come. As Razor Ramon, he was one of professional wrestling's biggest names and most villainous villains, busting chairs with the likes of Randy Savage, Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan in front of tens of thousands of screaming fans in sold-out arenas. And he loved the life that came with it: the parties, the women, the celebrity. But the high life soon started to slip away, and Hall has been desperately doing whatever he can since to hold on ever since. Hall's slide seems to know no bottom - from his deteriorating physical and mental condition, to his ongoing battle with alcohol and substance abuse that has crippled his family life and resulted in pathetic public appearances in school gyms. But he's hanging on, somehow. Now his only son, Cody, wants to follow in his father's tortured bootsteps. E:60 chronicles the heartbreaking story of a man who is a shadow of his former self and desperate for one last taste of the glory days.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That was really tough to watch.

Offline metaldams

Wanna know what's sad?  When I checked my e-mail and saw there was an update in this thread, I knew there wasn't a post for a while, so my first thought was, "Who died?"

Nobody died I guess, But Scott Hall, along with Jake Roberts, falls into the class of person that I can't believe is still living.  I'll have to watch the video much later tonight, I can't at work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I don't know if you can call what Scott is "alive", it's more like a dilapidated husk that kind of resembles Scott Hall. If you're anything like me you're going to want to take the jabrone indy promoter and smash his head in even though he is only on screen for less than a minute. What a piece of shit that guy is.

Offline metaldams

I don't know if you can call what Scott is "alive", it's more like a dilapidated husk that kind of resembles Scott Hall. If you're anything like me you're going to want to take the jabrone indy promoter and smash his head in even though he is only on screen for less than a minute. What a piece of shit that guy is.

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing for myself....I guess.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Reading some stories online about this documentary, sounds like it's real good.  Perhaps even non-wrestling fans will be interested, sounds more like a human interest story that just happens to involve a wrestler.  Looking forward to seeing this, but preparing myself to be a little sad.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Jim, you're right, that was tough to watch.  I would say he's like Randy "The Ram" Robinson, except I think Hall has it tougher.  It doesn't look good, I don't think his heart can last, but I hope he gets his life in order before he goes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Part Michael Jackson, part Southern Rock, part hair metal, all 80's, all cheese, and all entertaining, here's The Freebird's video for Badstreet U.S.A., which pre-dates WWF and the Rock ' n Wrestling Connection.  Enjoy.

*  If anybody has problems with this, let me know and I'll find a better copy tonight.  Sort of limited at work with you tube.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Forgive my indulgence, but I'm in an old school wrestling mood lately.  I think Mad Dog Vachon might be a new favorite of mine.  Check out this interview, they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I remember Maurice Vachon, he was pretty winding it down and a jobber to the stars when I got into wrestling almost 30 years ago (UGH!). The Vachons were HUGE in the AWA (brother Paul, sister Vivian and neice Luna who would achieve greater fame in the WWF) and if you can find it I highly recommend watching the movie Wrestling Queen which features the three older Vachons, Andre the Giant, Killer Kowalski, Renee Goulet and more. The movie is by no means good but is an interesting curio of a wrestling era long gone.

Offline Lefty

I remember Maurice Vachon, he was pretty winding it down and a jobber to the stars when I got into wrestling almost 30 years ago (UGH!). The Vachons were HUGE in the AWA (brother Paul, sister Vivian and neice Luna who would achieve greater fame in the WWF) and if you can find it I highly recommend watching the movie Wrestling Queen which features the three older Vachons, Andre the Giant, Killer Kowalski, Renee Goulet and more. The movie is by no means good but is an interesting curio of a wrestling era long gone.

"UGH" for almost 30 years ago?  I've been watching wrestling regularly over 40 years now, after viewing it on-and-off in the 1960s.  Speaking of Rene Goulet, this Wednesday will be exactly 40 years since he and Karl Gotch lost the WWWF tag team titles to King Curtis Iaukea and Baron Mikel Scicluna at the TV tapings at the old Philadelphia Arena.  That was the start of having tag team championships change hands on television.

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the film suggestion, Jim.  That actually does sound like something I'd enjoy.

I have no clue what's going on in wrestling these days as far as TV, I simply can't relate to it anymore.  That said, I can watch old stuff all day, hear shoot interviews and read books on the subject as well.  It started in '85 for me, so I guess it's "only" been 27 years.

I do have to say within the past year I did attend an independent wrestling card at a local firehouse and enjoyed the hell out of it.  It was also the only time in my life where I walked into a room and felt like the most eligible bachelor.  What a strange crowd, but fun nonetheless.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline jesster64

I was a lifelong wrestling fan, 47 years, untill recently. The straw that finally broke my back was the boogyman character. Once he started eating lives worms, thats when I knew I had enough. Add to that the constant belt changes, the tough enough reality show, and the death of many of my favorite wrestlers, well, time to move on, although I do tune in from time to time. One of my early memories was spiros arion turning on the chief and feeding him his war bonnet. That scarred me forever. Greatest match I ever saw was steamboat/savage. I will say the hell in the cell match with taker and foley was the greatest , to paraphrase joey styles, "Oh My GOD!!" match I ever saw.
Wrestling back in the day was totally different. When they had territories, a wrestler would come, get a push, then a championship match, then disappear to another territory. It kept things fresh. I am so sick of seeing the same moves week after week. 619 being a prime example. George the animal steele was fantastic. He would only work during summer break, so he was always a draw when he came around your area. Same with Andre. Seeing the giant once a year was a treat. What I liked about bob backlund was he was liable to lose the belt any week. Hogan I hated. Same stupid finish week after week, hulk up, punch to the face, punch to the face, boot to the face, leg drop. You tell me a leg drop is going to keep king kong bundy down or one man gang. 5 freaking years, same match, same moves.
I was around for the whole wcw/wwf wars. It was fantastic, although wcw really blew it. Everybody was in the nwo, it made no sense. Plus they had guys like brett hart they had no idea what to do with. Goldberg was a good idea, untill nash was booker and decided he got the "honor" of beating him to end the streak.
Don't get me wrong, wrestling today is much faster and the athletes are bigger. If you go back and watch matches during the lou thesz era, too many headlocks while they caught there breath. But the wrestlers back then knew ring psychology much better. Mr. Fuji could whip the crowd into a frenzy with a handfull of salt behind his back. Today, you get a guy saying "woo woo woo".  ECW was the best wrestling promotion I ever saw. The fans, the characters, the matches, lightning in a bottle. There will never be anything like it. I have met most of the wrestlers I grew up watching at autograph shows. Seeing them really brings back great memories. I've read almost everyones biography and the stories are fantastic.

Offline jesster64

best books, in my opinion
mick foleys first and second book
bobby heenans first book
bret harts book
chris jericos book
rick flairs book
gary michael cappettas book
terry funks book
harley races book
pipers book

Offline jesster64

favorite wrestlers
mil mascaras
roddy piper
ricky steamboat
cactus jack
jimmy snuka

best tag teams
The road warriors
afa and sika
nikita and ivan kolloff
mad dog and butcher vachon
minnisota wrecking crew
the executioners
the sheepherders

special shout out to the 4 horsemen. Best interviews and they ruled NWA for years.