Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THOSE CRAZY EIGHTS! MST IV ROUND 5 RESULTS & ROUND 6 MATCHES

Pilsner Panther

Yeah, I'm not really high on Grips either, it's just Punch Drunks with wrestling.

"Bustoff the Wrestler" is pretty funny, though. It's the beard and the high voice together... I always laugh at that guy, no matter how many times I see the short.

:D

Offline metaldams

OK you freaks and geeks with the soft obliques, listen up.  Mah hook-up's telling me we only gotz 16 votez, and I sayz we be needin' mo'.  Y'all got 'til 12 midnight B.I.G. East Coast time to vote for da pairings in dis round.  You bitchez and playaz know what y'all have to do.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stoop

20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940)
16. THREE LITTLE BEERS (1935)
94. THE SITTER-DOWNERS (1937)
4. A PLUMBING WE WILL GO (1940)
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Pilsner Panther

OK you freaks and geeks with the soft obliques, listen up.  Mah hook-up's telling me we only gotz 16 votez, and I sayz we be needin' mo'.  Y'all got 'til 12 midnight B.I.G. East Coast time to vote for da pairings in dis round.  You bitchez and playaz know what y'all have to do.

I'm not voting because it's impossible for me, Doug— I love almost everything the Stooges did in the Curly and Shemp eras, and even some of the early shorts with Ted ("Beer And Pretzels" in particular).

Why Jim doesn't like "An Ache In Every Stake" is beyond me... Okay, it does recycle some routines (the endless-stairs gag from Laurel & Hardy's "The Music Box" and the turkey-stuffing bit from "A Peach of a Pair" with Shemp and Daphne Pollard), but it's still one of the greatest of all the Curly shorts.

Curly's "shaving the ice" segment is enough to put "Ache" into anyone's top ten, and any Stooges short where the boys get to torment both Bud Jamison and Vernon Dent is a guarantee of comic immortality.

Even the horse was great!

[stooges]

Offline metaldams

Hey, fair enough, Pils.  I don't love all of the Curly or Shemp shorts, but I do love probably over 90% of them, and love some more than others.

As for AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, it's always been a favorite of mine, but I admit my opinion of it has gone down slightly since seeing THE MUSIC BOX.  I don't mind The Three Stooges using gags of others because in comedy, it's not who originates, it's who does it best.  With THE MUSIC BOX, Laurel and Hardy do their stairs routine so masterfully that it's never the same watching The Three Stooges do it.  THE MUSIC BOX is arguably Laurel and Hardy's greatest short and sets such a high standard for anybody to follow.  It would be like asking Lou Costello or Stan Laurel to do the maze of pipes routine.  After seeing Curly's reactions, it just wouldn't feel the same.  Don't get me wrong, though, I still enjoy AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE.

Incidentally, Jim, have you ever seen THE MUSIC BOX?

- Doug Sarnecky