Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

First great Stooge short?

Offline falsealarms

I'm wondering what people think... what was the first great Stooge short, the one where everything clicked just right? In other words, which short was their first bonafide classic?

I'm making my way through Vol 1 yet again.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
In my humble opinion that would be their second short, Punch Drunks.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Dog Hambone

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking with that question, but I'll assume you mean when they really came into their own & left much of the established Ted Healy and vaudeville routines behind. If that's the case, I'm casting my vote for HORSES COLLARS!

[3stooges]

Offline Curly4444

In my humble opinion that would be their second short, Punch Drunks.

Ill second that. It was my first great stooge short. Woman haters wasn't that funny, and a little boring.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Men in Black
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Gotta go for PUNCH DRUNKS.  The character roles were pretty much established in that short and the story is pretty iconic in Stoogedom. 

WOMAN HATERS is an enjoyable one-off.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm torn between PUNCH DRUNKS and POP GOES THE EASEL. I've just watched the early ones again and I could go either way.

xraffle

Offline Curly4444

Hey, what about the first great shemp short??

For me it would be "Sing a Song of Six Pants".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm torn between PUNCH DRUNKS and POP GOES THE EASEL. I've just watched the early ones again and I could go either way.

Well are you asking which short on the first volume is the best or which was their first great short?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Hey, what about the first great shemp short??

For me it would be "Sing a Song of Six Pants".

Nah, it's gotta be "Hold That Lion!"

Offline Curly4444

Nah, it's gotta be "Hold That Lion!"
Isn't that the one with the last appearance of curly?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Isn't that the one with the last appearance of curly?

Yep, the snoring passenger on the train.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Punch Drunks is still my all-time favorite short so I'd vote for that. Everything clicked just fine.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Well are you asking which short on the first volume is the best or which was their first great short?

First great short, period. PUNCH DRUNKS or POP GOES THE EASEL would be my thoughts after going through the early ones.

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Punch Drunks easily.  Everything just clicked in that short, and showed us how hilarious the trio would set out to become.  They set the bar early on, and they set it high.  Yes, the short had been topped in subsequent years, but Punch Drunks is the earliest work of brilliance by the boys.

Though I will say, I enjoy Woman Haters on it's own two reeler level.  But when you go into it expecting a Three Stooges short, it's bound to disappoint you.  I hated it when I was a kid.  It was just out of place and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.  Putting it into perspective though, makes it a decent short on its own.  But not a great Three Stooges short.

Offline stooge1029

Im thinking Men In Black just because Punch Drunks had the stooges playing separate roles, not a unit of three from start to finish. Men In Black is a great all around short.

Offline pipboytaylor

Yeah, I think I'd go with MEN IN BLACK as well. I love PUNCH DRUNKS but it still seemed just a bit on the quirky side, like they were still feeling it out or finding heir way. MEN IN BLACK keeps things buzzing all the way through. WOMAN HATERS wasn't a favorite of mine either growing up. Of course when you are a kid, you know little about filmmaking nor can you begin to appreciate that short for what it is. You just don't get it. Why are they singing through the whole short? Give it about 20 or 30 years and you can understand it!

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hello:

Columbia Studios:  "Three Little Pirates":
                          "Malice In The Palace":

MGM Studios:  "Beer And Pretzels"; {With Ted and Bonnie Bonnell}:
                     "Nertsery Rhymes"; {With Ted and Bonnie}:

Hoekstra
Moron4392

Offline JazzBill

Punch Drunks for me. Like Final Shemp said, they set the bar high.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Mike Lipincranz

When I say go, we all point to the right.  Go!

See, it's a matter of opinion...

All the above are classic, but I like HORSES' COLLARS....Moe, Larry the cheese, Moe Larry the chesse!!!!!  No---Lindburger!.............Here's the IOU Nell............Phew...... :o

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think some people are missing the point of the question. If Punch Drunks is a "classic" then obviously you would consider it a great short right? Since Punch Drunks comes before Horses' Collars then Punch Drunks would be the answer to "which is the first great Stooges short?".

xraffle

I have to agree with Jim on this. I don't think people are understanding the question. Yes, one can debate that shorts like Horses Collars, Pop Goes The Easel, Men In Black, etc. are better than Punch Drunks. The thing is, they're all great shorts in their own way. But which one was the FIRST one? That would be Punch Drunks. I understand if someone can't decide between Woman Haters or Punch Drunks because maybe, for some reason, one or two people here may consider Woman Haters to be one of their favorites. But most stooge fans consider Woman Haters to be an unusual shorts since it's a musical and all in rhyme. Most won't consider it a great short and it's not the short "where everything clicked right away." In that case, all 190 shorts would be musicals and all in rhyme. Punch Drunks was the first short that a lot of people consider great (not the best, mind you).

Unless you consider Punch Drunks to be an awful, vomitous short, I don't see why it would be hard to consider it the first great short. It is not even close to being my favorite short as I can name a lot more shorts that I like better, but IMHO, it's a great short that started it all.

Offline stooge1029

Punch Drunks wasnt awful but it was Men In Black where there act came together as a unit. I just dont like when the stooges play different roles (like in cookoo on a choo choo or he cooked his goose) and I think Punch Drunks was the only time they did that with Curly. First GREAT (not good or descent or not awful) short...Men in Black.

xraffle

Punch Drunks wasnt awful but it was Men In Black where there act came together as a unit. I just dont like when the stooges play different roles (like in cookoo on a choo choo or he cooked his goose) and I think Punch Drunks was the only time they did that with Curly. First GREAT (not good or descent or not awful) short...Men in Black.

Gotcha! I see your point now.