Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Journal # 137

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Three Stooges Journal # 137 (Spring 2011) is now available.  For non-subscribers, here's a summary of what you're missing...

- Guests and itinerary details for the upcoming 2011 Fan Club Meeting
 - Interview with Adrian Booth, aka Lorna Gray
 - Revisiting the music of the shorts, 1939 - 1943
 - Outdoor location from LOCO BOY MAKES GOOD (1942) id'ed
 - Detailed analysis of Yiddish in the Stooges' films
 - Unfilmed/edited, scripted scene for FIDDLERS THREE (1948)
 - Costar obituaries, and biographical profiles
Articles accompanied by rare (and even unseen before) stills and photographs

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Sweet!  That means my copy will be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.  (I'm crashing at my brother's tonight, since we're going to see The Pink Floyd Experience in Flint tonight.)

Offline falsealarms

Offline curlysdame

It's always a good day when it's Journal day.

I hear that!  Looking forward to getting mine in the next day or two.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline FineBari3

I received mine yesterday! Ol' Greta looked a little strange, as my Journal has to be loosely rolled to fit into the mailbox!

One of the best Journals yet!!! I am very happy Adrian Booth Brian will be back! She is fantastic! I want to get my Magic 8-Ball signed by her at the fan club meeting, but I don't think I can bring it on the airplane because of the liquid in it!

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

No Stoogeum for Friday night?

Yes, I noticed that.  I guess we're gonna hang at the hotel then?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Dog Hambone

Terrific Journal issue as usual!

However, I have a question about Rich Finegan's Stooge music article.

Finegan refers to a song used repeatedly in the Stooge shorts as "Fredric March". Is it actually spelled that way? The reason I ask is because Fredric March was a famous actor from that era. Is the song spelled the same way as the actor's first name, or is it actually spelled Frederick? I recall having seen the song referred to as the Frederick March in this forum. Which is correct? 

Offline Rich Finegan

Terrific Journal issue as usual!

However, I have a question about Rich Finegan's Stooge music article.

Finegan refers to a song used repeatedly in the Stooge shorts as "Fredric March". Is it actually spelled that way? The reason I ask is because Fredric March was a famous actor from that era. Is the song spelled the same way as the actor's first name, or is it actually spelled Frederick? I recall having seen the song referred to as the Frederick March in this forum. Which is correct? 
Hello!
Glad someone is reading my stuff closely.
The proper spelling of the title of this march is confusing. In fact, it looks like I got confused myself while writing the Journal 137 article and spelled it "Fredric".
The spelling on the official Columbia Music Cue Sheets that were logged to legally document composers' credits and royalties, etc. was Frederic (although occasionally there were what I assume are misspelling as "Frederick".)
I assume (and it would certainly would be nice to think) that the composers were inspired to name their march after actor Fredric March but when the title was submitted for official publication they or some secretary must have misspelled Fredric as Frederic or Frederick.
As I mentioned in earlier articles, I have logged 29 different Columbia films (so far) in which "Frederic March" is used, and only in Columbia films (that is to say, never in any other studios' films, on records, old radio shows or anywhere else). Fans of actor Fredric March know that he made three movies for Columbia Pictures in his career, so (if you're like me) you may wonder if the actor and the music named after him ever appeared in the same film. Well, no, the march was not used in any of actor March's three Columbia movies.

Offline Shemp Shady

For me, as a linguist, the best thing about issue #137 of the Journal is the “Oy Vey” article, by editor Gary Lassin, about the use of Yiddish in Stooge shorts. Very enlightening, truly a klasseek—and should be published in an even more scholarly journal. (Kudos [and vigh sigh], Gary!)
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline garystooge

Shalom aleichem, Shady....glad you liked it.
Gary