Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What have you been watching, reading, and listening to?

Offline metaldams

It's been forever since I've done one of these, so let's all share what we've been enjoying as of late.

WATCHING:

AMERICAN IDOL:  Just goes to show you what a good son I am.  My Mom is a fan of this show, and when I visit her on Wednesday's I watch it with her.  The phony hand holding and hugging is nauseating, but I'll admit a few of the girls are attractive and Jacob Lusk actually has some talent. 

TOSH.0:  This is one of my brother's shows, and if you ever wanted to see hyeina's eat the anus of a dead elephant, by all means, this is right up your alley.  For those of you not turned on to such scenario's, you may want to avoid.

BIG 4 DVD:  That's Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax all sharing a bill in Bulgaria this past June.  I gew up with all four bands.  Dare I say Anthrax had the best performance of the night?  Well, I just said it.

FIDDLESTICKS:  Classic Harry Langdon short.  Harry's a terrible upright bass player who finds a way to make money despite his lack of talent.  See for yourselves to find out how.  Vernon Dent's got two roles in this one!

LISTENING:

ANTHROLOGY - BEST OF ANTHRAX 1985 - 1991:  I'll be seeing singer Joey Belladonna in a small club five minutes from where I live on March 26.  225 capacity, and the stage is floor level, so I'm hoping to meet him.  Been listening to this one non-stop, and it really is one of the few greatest hits that just about gets it right.

BOB DYLAN - BOB DYLAN: First Bob Dylan album, when he was a folkie doing other people's songs.  The version of "House of the Rising Sun" is awesome.

READING:

THE ART OF HAPPINESS by Howard C. Cutler and some dude named The Dalai Lama:  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  I've had a much calmer and compassionate view on life since reading this book.  Things don't change overnight, of course, but there's a lot of great advice in this book.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Forgot to add:

THE DARK CRYSTAL (1982):  Have not seen this in over 25 years.  Freaked me and my brother out as a kid, and man, the only reason why my parents let me see this one is because it had Jim Henson's name on it.  Kind of like a freak puppet show version of LORD OF THE RINGS.  My brother was still able to point out the characvter that gave him nightmares as a kid, turned out she was one of the good guys!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Right now I'm a watching a Red Sox/Yankees spring training game on MLB Network. Unfortunately the Sox lineup is full of scrubs (and Varitek).Bucholz is looking pretty good though. I'm excited for the release of MLB 11 The Show on PS3 Tuesday. Since I pre-ordered it I get a month free of MLB.TV. Other than that I have been watching Three Stooges and That 70's Show on DVD, but mostly using the tv to play video games. I did get to see a couple of the Oscar nominees for Best Picture, including The King's Speech which won. While it was a good movie I don't think it deserved to win and would have given it to Inception.

I listen to the usual: Howard Stern and BTLS. I only conciously play music when the mood hits me, and the last time that happened I was listening to Ennio Morricone music.

The last book I read was Decision Points by George W. Bush, which I am positive he had a ghost writer for. If it wasn't obvious to you before that the man was full of himself just read this masturbatory tome. In what can only be described a "coincidence", the last time I opened up my reader to read Decision Points it also opened up Mein Kamph for some reason.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
READING:  Shakespeare's MacBeth[/u].  Quite violent!  But also a pretty well-written tragedy.  Othello[/u] is still my favorite of Shakespearean tragedies, but MacBeth[/u] is still very well done.  Also finished reading Holes[/u]...again, lol.  Had to for my Intro to Lit class.  We're doing our middle school/adolescent literature unit (major prep class for me, even though most people who take that class are not English majors).  In fact, I've read it so many times I've memorized the plot and did not feel the need to read it again, therefore I chose not to.

WATCHING:  Trying to catch up on season 6 of The Bad Girls Club.  Other than that, I only watch TV when I go to the gym or when no one's in the lounge.  Jersey Shore, Teen Mom 2, Skins, and I'm excited for the season premiere of The Real World:  Las Vegas next Wednesday.

LISTENING TO:  Just my usual:  Beach Boys (my favorite!), Beatles, random 60s/70s/80s music, French music, discovered the Pet Shop Boys and El Debarge on Youtube today.  I had randomly remembered seeing their music videos on Vh1 Classic back in the day, and I couldn't remember who sang the songs, so I was able to find them on Youtube. 

Also getting really into Green Day.  Don't ask.  I'm a tomboy.  They have some pretty okay stuff, both old and new.  Other than that, I'm not into modern music, except for modern French music and Celine Dion, and early Taylor Swift.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline pipboytaylor

WATCHING- I bought a couple of seasons of the old "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE" tv show, so I've watching those. I started watching the newest season of "SURVIVOR" once again. I saw "ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST" for the first time last week.

LISTENING- A new rockabilly album by the legendary WANDA JACKSON. "The Party Ain't Over", produced by JACK WHITE. I've also listened through my WHITE STRIPES collection, since the announced their disbanding. Great, great music. I also occasionally listen to the GREENHORNES collection as well. Check'em out!

I don't read. Don't have the eyesight for it.

COMMENTS: Bob Dylan's first album. Awesome!! I have the cd. My favorite tune on it is "Song To Woody".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
WATCHING:  Just finished watching Animal Crackers and just started The Big Store.  It's not at the top of my Marx Brothers list but it's still fun (especially if you fast forward through that sappy "Urban Serenade" or whatever the hell it's called.)

READING:  Currently reading A Simplified Harmony of the Gospels and C.S. Lewis's The Pilgrim's Regress.

For Christmas in 2009, my brother and his kids gave me the first few books of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  I got hooked and ended up collecting every single book (currently 14 large volumes totaling over 11,000 pages, including the prequel.)  I finished reading them all around Thanksgiving, 2010.  Since then I've been kind of jumping around in my reading.  I re-read the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which got me through the holidays, but it's been just random choices since then.

Offline Rhinosaurus

ANTHROLOGY - BEST OF ANTHRAX 1985 - 1991:  I'll be seeing singer Joey Belladonna in a small club five minutes from where I live on March 26.  225 capacity, and the stage is floor level, so I'm hoping to meet him.  Been listening to this one non-stop, and it really is one of the few greatest hits that just about gets it right.

That band grew leaps and bounds whent hey replaced Belladonna with John Bush, but now they are just a mess for lead singers.  It would be cool to meet Joey however.

Offline vomit

That band grew leaps and bounds whent hey replaced Belladonna with John Bush, but now they are just a mess for lead singers. 

You took the words out of my mouth!!  John Bush rules!

Reading: The Tunnels of Cu Chi
Watching: Paranormal Activity 2, last night
Listening: The Doors, 2007 remastered series....GREAT STUFF!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Curly4444

WATCHING:

AMERICAN IDOL: Weird, my mom loves it also. I too get together with her and watch it. Its hard too overlook some of the phoniness, but i enjoy watching SOME new talent compete.  

Japanese Anime: Im a big fan of Japanese anime, and ive been watching Neon Genesis Evangelion.

MOVIES: Saw Kalifornia, Waterworld, Frankenstein Created Woman, etc...

LISTENING/WATCHING:

Watched/LISTENING to Guns N' Roses "Welcome To The Videos", Use Your Illusion I, and Use Your Illusion II. The Use Your Illusion I and II was a concert from there world tour in Tokyo. I think it was in 92? They gave a good performance, but man Axl rose voice was sure going in a couple of numbers. What i was impressed wiht the most was Slash's solo guitar performances. Man that guy is a guitar god, so dam good. He could give Hendrix a run for his money.

Offline metaldams

That band grew leaps and bounds whent hey replaced Belladonna with John Bush, but now they are just a mess for lead singers.  It would be cool to meet Joey however.

Gotta respectfully disagree.  John Bush is a great singer, but they only released one good album with him (SOUND OF WHITE NOISE).  The other three are either mediocre or in STOMP 442's case, bad.  Bush was better served in Armored Saint.  The quality of the songwriting went down after SOUND OF WHITE NOISE, and I don't blame that much on Bush.  I actually think Dan Spitz leaving the band hurt Anthrax more.  I did see Anthrax with Bush open for Judas Priest (with Tim "Ripper" Owens), and it was a good time.

The Belladonna era albums are all excellent (I even like STATE OF EUPHORIA, which gets maligned), and Joey's voice was refreshing for a thrash band, it helped make them stand out from the others.  It's not a guarantee I'll meet Joey, but since I'm seeing him at such a small club, I think I'll have a good chance.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, here's the link to the place I'll be seeing Belladonna.  80's pop star Tiffany will be there in April, and she's on the home page.  Check out what she's looking like these days!  By the way, I'll also be seeing Adler's Appetite in June.

http://www.cuberestaurant.com
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Gotta respectfully disagree.  John Bush is a great singer, but they only released one good album with him (SOUND OF WHITE NOISE).  The other three are either mediocre or in STOMP 442's case, bad.

S442 may be somewhat weak....still better than SoE, however. 

Bush was better served in Armored Saint. 

That may be true.  And let's face it, the guys in Saint were like brothers, not like little Gene & Paul (Charlie & Scott) who are only interested in $$$$.

The quality of the songwriting went down after SOUND OF WHITE NOISE, and I don't blame that much on Bush. 

Humbly disagree.  Especially lyricwise.  Plus the production on the latter albums are far superior to the earlier efforts.  PoT is well-produced, but the vox seem wrong for the heaviness of that album.

The Belladonna era albums are all excellent (I even like STATE OF EUPHORIA, which gets maligned), and Joey's voice was refreshing for a thrash band, it helped make them stand out from the others. 

Agreed, as far as Joey being different......still not a big fan of the production on their early stuff.  Of the Big 4, I always preferred Joey's voice.  Let's face it Mustaine can't sing, Araya screams, and Hetfield is just OK.  Whether you prefer John or Joey, I would not want Scott & Charlie as my boss.  Always chasing a trend, and chasing a buck.
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

S442 may be somewhat weak....still better than SoE, however. 

There's nothing on STOMP 442 that's even close to "Be All, End All" and "Who Cares Wins."  No contest.

That may be true.  And let's face it, the guys in Saint were like brothers, not like little Gene & Paul (Charlie & Scott) who are only interested in $$$$.

Ain't that the truth.

Humbly disagree.  Especially lyricwise.  Plus the production on the latter albums are far superior to the earlier efforts.  PoT is well-produced, but the vox seem wrong for the heaviness of that album.

I'll admit to not having studied the post SOWN lyrics as well as I should, but Belladonna era Anthrax had some of the most thoughtful and intelligent lyrics around for the era.  "Indians," "Keep it in the Family," "Who Cares Wins," "The Enemy,"..some pretty heady stuff there.

Whether you prefer John or Joey, I would not want Scott & Charlie as my boss.  Always chasing a trend, and chasing a buck.

.....and that's the problem with Bush era Anthrax, and it's got nothing to do with John's voice, which is great.  When Anthrax had Joey and Dan, they had stability and created their own sound.  They were leaders in an overcrowded thrash scene, able to be both serious and have a sense of humor.  With Bush, they were either trying to be alternative, or grunge, or Pantera inspired groove metal, basically anything but Anthrax.  Don't get me wrong, there are some Bush era songs I like, and SOUND OF WHITE NOISE is a great album, but Anthrax lost their identity starting in the mid-90's, and that coincided with the Bush era, which basically became the Scott and Charlie show.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Wow, talk about digging up on oldie...  :D

Watching: I've been on my usual kick of the sports networks--ESPN, MLB & NFL Network--plus my usual revivals of the old Universal Horror movies.

Reading: The Immortal Count: The Life and Films of Bela Lugosi. Reading such an in-depth bio of Bela makes me hopeful that one day an authoritative book on Chaney Jr. will be published.

Listening:

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Wow, talk about digging up on oldie...  :D

Watching: I've been on my usual kick of the sports networks--ESPN, MLB & NFL Network--plus my usual revivals of the old Universal Horror movies.

Reading: The Immortal Count: The Life and Films of Bela Lugosi. Reading such an in-depth bio of Bela makes me hopeful that one day an authoritative book on Chaney Jr. will be published.

Listening:

I read that Arthur Lennig Lugosi book about ten years ago and still have my copy.  Love the way he goes over each film and the way he recounts his meeting Lugosi as a child.  The ending chapters concerning Lugosi's son aren't the most cheery, however.

As far as Rush, I'm a casual fan, but a friend of mine is a bigger fan and we watched the REPLAY X 3 DVD's about a month back.  Love watching that old 80's footage.  It's fun watching how Neil Peart's drums grow and watching Geddy act like a musical freak of nature switching between crazy bass lines, synths, and banshee vocals.  I could never get as good as him in a million years.

As for me, pure Iron Maiden lately.  The live sets BEAST OVER HAMMERSMITH ('82), LIVE AFTER DEATH ('84/'85), and MAIDEN ENGLAND ('88).  Pure nectar from the rock gods.  Also busted out TOKYO TAPES from Scorpions last night, easily my favorite album from them.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I read that Arthur Lennig Lugosi book about ten years ago and still have my copy.  Love the way he goes over each film and the way he recounts his meeting Lugosi as a child. 

I agree, his summation of the film International House really peaked my interest. I'm hoping one day before I slip off this mortal coil I'll be able to see that movie. I wonder if anyone has released it on DVD yet?   ???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Seamus

I agree, his summation of the film International House really peaked my interest. I'm hoping one day before I slip off this mortal coil I'll be able to see that movie. I wonder if anyone has released it on DVD yet?   ???

INTERNATIONAL HOUSE is included in Volume 1 of the W.C. Fields Comedy Collection DVD set, and looks like it's available on Netflix if you have their DVD service (not available on streaming unfortunately). 

Offline metaldams

INTERNATIONAL HOUSE is included in Volume 1 of the W.C. Fields Comedy Collection DVD set, and looks like it's available on Netflix if you have their DVD service (not available on streaming unfortunately).

Shemp_Diesel, for this price, buy the below set for Lugosi and a little bit of Shemp, and keep it for W.C. Fields.  10 films, $13.49, you'll get INTERNATIONAL HOUSE and other Fields classics. I have the Bob Hope set like this.  The Volume 1 Fields set Seamus mentions I have, and was worth it back in the day, but now that this bargain set with still good quality is out....go for it!

http://www.amazon.com/W-C-Fields-Comedy-Favorites-Collection/dp/B00BY0EBDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423836658&sr=8-1&keywords=W.c.+Fields
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

I liked "International House."  A TV station showed it last year, which was the only time I saw it.  When you watch it, bear in mind that movie-makers were still smoothing out the workings of sound in pictures.  Baby Rose Marie may seem an oddity now, but a girl with a rich or mature singing voice was not unusual at the time.  Even Judy Garland's mother set her up with an act where she (Judy) was heard singing before she was revealed to be a small child. 

Franklin Pangborne hits his stride in this movie.  George and Gracie do their usual schtick albeit as doctor and nurse here.  Stu Erwin is "meh - - " just not very funny.  But the show is stolen by Bill Fields, especially his entrance which I consider the best entrance I've ever seen.  Cab Calloway fans ought to enjoy his rendition of "Reefer Man," though it seems to end abruptly.  Anyway, I like this movie and would watch it again.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I have no TV :( so all my exposure to anything comes via Youtube.

That said, I have enjoyed listening to some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXimFK0bU8[/youtube]"]Chopinblock lately.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Listening to a little "Led"....

Offline metaldams

Shemp_Diesel, as a Zeppelin fan, I gotta ask, have you bothered with this latest round of remasters?  Other than maybe the live show attached to the first album, this bonus stuff seems bottom of the barrel.  Alternative mixes and not much more.  I still have box sets 1 and 2 from back in the day, I feel no need to replace them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Shemp_Diesel, as a Zeppelin fan, I gotta ask, have you bothered with this latest round of remasters?  Other than maybe the live show attached to the first album, this bonus stuff seems bottom of the barrel.  Alternative mixes and not much more.  I still have box sets 1 and 2 from back in the day, I feel no need to replace them.

Metal, I haven't spent one dime on the latest round of remasters--my reasons being that I already had all the previously remastered CDs from the 90s, so I didn't feel the need to drop more money for what might only be to my ears minor improvements in the audio department.

I'll also add that I'm not much of an audiophile--so if there are any improvements with these latest remasters I probably wouldn't detect them anyway. But as I said, having all the 8 studio albums already plus a lot of boots on disc, I saw no need to splurge on the latest Zep offerings....

Offline metaldams

Metal, I haven't spent one dime on the latest round of remasters--my reasons being that I already had all the previously remastered CDs from the 90s, so I didn't feel the need to drop more money for what might only be to my ears minor improvements in the audio department.

I'll also add that I'm not much of an audiophile--so if there are any improvements with these latest remasters I probably wouldn't detect them anyway. But as I said, having all the 8 studio albums already plus a lot of boots on disc, I saw no need to splurge on the latest Zep offerings....

My main interest is the bonus stuff, I too could care less about the remastering, as the 90's remasters sound fine to me.  I eventually shuffled the studio albums in correct order in iTunes when I burned my CD's in, but as far as physical product, I still have just those box sets with the rearranged song orders, but every song is there.

I also love that DVD set released in 2003.  Royal Albert Hall in 1970 is especially awesome!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Hmmm, I noticed in my last message I said 8 studio albums--now I realize I left out the much overlooked Coda album (How could I forget Coda).  :o

Btw Metal, being a bass player yourself, do you have any appreciation for the song Ozone Baby? For me, the bass makes that entire song....