Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Favorite Abbott and Costello Feature

Offline metaldams

You all can read subject lines, so I leave it to the rest of you to discuss.  I'll join when I'm good and ready...let the thread begin. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

My favorites are the monster Abbott & Costello features. My fav one is Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein. I laugh my ass off everytime i see it. Love the part where Dracula keeps coming out of the coffin and Lou is the only one who sees this.

xraffle

Hard to choose, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be "Buck Privates."

Offline falsealarms

I'm not too big on A&C, but I'd say BUCK PRIVATES. Especially the first 10 or so minutes.

Offline metaldams

Call me crazy, but up until THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES, I've always pegged most A&C films to be interchangeable.  Just a bunch of funny routines thrown in with romantic sub plots and musical numbers.  Fun movies, but none I'd consider a classic.  I will say the plumbing stuff of IN SOCIETY stands out as does 7 X 13 = 28 with Shemp in IN THE NAVY, but overall, I like the mid - later stuff better.  THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES is a classic and I even like LITTLE GIANT, Costello's attempt at Chaplin like pathos.  Most people knock that one, but I enjoy it.

Of course, the monster rally films rock the casbah.  As I'm and A & C and Universal Horror fan, it's impossible for me not to like them.  AFRICA SCREAMS with Shemp and Besser is also great and the TV show is mandatory Bud and Lou.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I would have to give Hold That Ghost a slight edge over Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I would have to give Hold That Ghost a slight edge over Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

You know, I say all the pre TIME OF THEIR LIVES A & C films are interchangeable, but thinking back, HOLD THAT GHOST actually does stand out as a great scare comedy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My favorite is A&C Meet Frankenstein, although I haven't seen nearly as many of the A&C films as I'd like. I haven't seen one I'd consider "bad" per se; I loved Africa Screams and Buck Pirates and In The Navy I thought were good. I did think the Universal Monster films had a consistent decline in quality from each film however.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
It's hard to choose, since I never met an A&C feature that I didn't like, but if I have to pick one I'd go with Hold That Ghost as my favorite.  I also tend to like the ones where Bud and Lou don't start out the film as a team, such as Time of Their Lives and Little Giant (probably because Lou gets the upper hand on Bud in those.)

Offline ILMM

My two favorite A&C movies are; Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff and Meet the Keystone Kops. I especially like the scene
where Bud and Lou pretend to be a burglar and cop and get mixed up with a real burglar and cop.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline JazzBill

I like "Africa Screams" because of the Shemp & Besser connection. They get some good quality time in this one. But I think "Who Done It?" and "Hold That Ghost" are better.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Boid Brain

Not even close. "Meet Frankenstein". No film has ever mixed comedy and horror so well. It was a stroke of genius to have Lugosi and Cheney play it strait, while Lou did his thing.

Honerable mention: The crap shooting scene from Buck Privates. "Little Joe!" SLAP!

And the Andrews sisters were fab in my 10 year old mind.

Offline metaldams

Not even close. "Meet Frankenstein". No film has ever mixed comedy and horror so well.

I love ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, one of my favorite movies of all-time, period, so I agree with your statement.

That said, it may be nowhere near as famous, but Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard in THE GHOST BREAKERS is almost as good, and should be watched by all classic comedy and horror fans. You'll all thank me later.

Never saw THE CAT AND THE CANARY though, at least the talkie version, and I really need to.  I do own the silent on DVD.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I wasn't all that impressed with The Ghost Breakers and IMO it is nowhere near A&C Meet Frankenstein. Don't get me wrong, I love Bob Hope, but that movie just fell flat.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown