Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

My high school's drum line

Liz · 14 · 4799

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I was in the band in high school and I played on the front ensemble (aka pit), which is part of the drum line.  I graduated last June, and it looks like my one year in band taught these guys and gals well.  They are AMAZING.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Rancho Bernardo High School drum line's rendition of "Stairway to Heaven."

[youtube=425,350]lW4F1bY83lA&NR=1[/youtube]
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline falsealarms

That's pretty good. If I didn't know it, I wouldn't have expected it to be from a HS band.

Offline FineBari3

I can't believe we have another drummer on threestooges.net....but this one is another CHICK! I have been playing the drums since I was 9, and marched in the Pitt Drumline when I was in college, and then about 20 years in drum corps both marching and teaching. I have the scars from wrist surgery to prove it; damn Kevlar heads.

I have taught a handfull of high school drumlines and judged as well. This is a very good high school line, but I have seen better! I would have liked to seen a part in the piece that featured each section, because I thought that they didn't play anything difficult at all. I also am surprised to see that there appeared to be no females in the battery, but I couldn't see the rest of the tenor line. And this is in California! Shame....

I was the first female snare drummer at my high school, and the first female drum captain and principal percussionist. That started in 1985.

Here is a picture of my license plate on my car. Only a drummer will understand it!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Here is a picture of my license plate on my car. Only a drummer will understand it!

I'm going to guess a snare drum exercise involving a right and left hand combination.

As a bass player, there are certain numbers combinations that make me think of frets on certain songs.  If somebody has a phone number with "0321," I automatically think "For Whom the Bell Tolls."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

You're right, knowing you as a Stooges fan I would of guessed it's the combination of a safe from "Rip, Sew And Stitch". (Almost)
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline FineBari3

I'm going to guess a snare drum exercise involving a right and left hand combination.

As a bass player, there are certain numbers combinations that make me think of frets on certain songs.  If somebody has a phone number with "0321," I automatically think "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

Yes, you are correct, but it is how they are arranged that makes it special. There are basic elements of drumming called 'rudiments' that you learn first. There used to be just 25, but there are over 30 now. Anyhow, that particular combination is called a 'double paradiddle'.

I like how you associate the fret positions with the numbers. When I learned how to play baritone, I learned by writing either a 1, 2, or 3 on my music under the notes (for the valve # to press down). I still can't read music over 20 years later without the fingerings written in!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

You're right, knowing you as a Stooges fan I would of guessed it's the combination of a safe from "Rip, Sew And Stitch". (Almost)

That wouldn't be the first time that has been said about my license plate!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline RICO987

I also am surprised to see that there appeared to be no females in the battery, but I couldn't see the rest of the tenor line. And this is in California! Shame....

The last three on the right appear to be female.  They are very effeminate looking if not...

Offline metaldams

By the way, the reason why I haven't commented on the video is because my home computer may have crashed and I can only post at work, so I can't actually watch youtube.  Yeah, not too happy about this.

Mar-Jean,  I can read both bass and treble clef, and I had to read the former to do jazz band in high school and college.  I'd be lying if I said I used my reading ability much in the last, oh 10 years, minus rhythms, but if I had to do it again, it's like riding a bike.  I have a complete scores book for The Beatles, so drums are naturally included and that's an entirely different form of reading music as opposed to a melodic instrument.

Guitar and bass players have been spoiled by tablature.  I won't go into it too much since most of you are probably non-guitar/bass players and would have no clue what I'm talking about, but it's definitely hindered an entire generation's sight reading abilities.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
The last three on the right appear to be female.  They are very effeminate looking if not...

Yes, there are females in the pit.  Don't forget, the term "percussion" implies the drum line and the pit as well.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline FineBari3

Yes, there are females in the pit.  Don't forget, the term "percussion" implies the drum line and the pit as well.

Yes, but I said "in the battery", which refers to only the marching percussion. Of course, there are girls in the pit, that's a given, but girls that actually carry the drums is rare. Or used to be rare. Or male instructors that don't want them in their drumline. Etc....
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Used to be.  There are lots of girls in batteries now.  That isn't the world we live in anymore.   
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline FineBari3

Used to be.  There are lots of girls in batteries now.  That isn't the world we live in anymore.  

Wow! That's great!

I used to work with autistic kids after school at their homes, and one of my client's grandmothers lit up when she found out I played the drums. She said her and her best friend went to the band director at their high school and said that they wanted to play the drums. (This was in the 1930's). He sent them TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE, because girls didn't play the drums. Can you imagine?!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline metaldams

Wow! That's great!

I used to work with autistic kids after school at their homes, and one of my client's grandmothers lit up when she found out I played the drums. She said her and her best friend went to the band director at their high school and said that they wanted to play the drums. (This was in the 1930's). He sent them TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE, because girls didn't play the drums. Can you imagine?!

In the 1930's my grandmother took piano lessons from a cousin.  When she made a mistake, the cousin would slam my grandmother's fingers on the piano and say her choice in life was the piano or the kitchen.  My grandmother's response was to put on an apron.

The world definitely has changed. 
- Doug Sarnecky