Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection Poll

shemps#1 · 65 · 15198

Poll

Which volumes of the Three Stooges Collection Do You Own?

I own all eight volumes.
36 (92.3%)
I own all except volume eight and will not buy the last volume.
1 (2.6%)
I own the first 4 or 5 volumes and do not plan on buying the rest.
0 (0%)
I own random volumes (state below).
1 (2.6%)
I don't own any of the volumes and will not buy them.
0 (0%)
I don't own any volumes right now, but plan on buying some (or all) later.
1 (2.6%)
I own volume eight only, go Joe!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

xraffle

I wouldn't use the word "scam," but the Free Shipping on $25 orders causes us to look and look for other items until we are eligible for the Free Shipping. Shipping costs $2.99 plus tax here in NY. So, it's $3+ extra. And sometimes when we're only $1 or $2 short of being eligible for free shipping, it can get rather frustrating. One item that comes to mind is The Marx Brother Silver Screen Collection for $24.99 that I bought quite some time ago. What a frustration that was. Only one darn penny!!  >:(
And sometimes, I can find the item for $3 more at a B&M store close-by, so ordering from Amazon and paying for shipping is futile for me. I only order from them when they have a real good sale and enough items are on sale to get me to that $25 mark. But it is annoying when an item has a real good deal and all you need is one more item to get you to that $25 mark, but all the other items you can think of have not-so-good deals.

I will say this, though. Amazon has the best return policy ever. You can return or exchange defective/damaged merchandise without a problem whatsoever! Beats going back to the store, waiting in a long line, and having to explain the problem to the employee at the store.

Offline pipboytaylor

Don't get me wrong here. I love Amazon and buy a lot of stuff from them. They have great prices. The only thing is, it does seem mighty suspicious that you always get that close and have to look for another item to put you over the top. They sell more goods that way.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
@Curly4444, Xraffle and pipboytaylor:  In those cases you should use the Amazon Filler Item Finder.  Just enter the difference and it will show you all the items that will make up the difference.

You might be amazed at the weird variety of stuff they have.  I bought a packet of plastic screws once for something like 25 cents, in order to make the $25 limit.  Ironically, the screws shipped separately.   :D

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
You weren't scammed... you were screwed.

But at least it wasn't by a politician telling me it's for my own good.   ;D

Offline JazzBill

[clap]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Curly4444

How the hell are they "scamming" you guys?  The deal is plain and clear, and no one is making you buy anything that you don't want.  You could just pay for the shipping yourself (I usually did on the collection, since I'd pre-order them by themselves as they became available on Amazon.)

I know their not actually scamming me, i was just being sarcastic. Just seems like i fall a little short, and need to buy something else i didn't plan on. I'm glad they have the free shipping though. I'd rather spend the $3 towards another item, than on shipping. Thanks for the Amazon Filler Item Finder trick, ill try that next time.

xraffle

There were a few instances where they had an item I wanted for a excellent deal and it was less than $15. In those cases, I actually paid for the shipping. Since those prices were really cheap and there was nothing else I wanted, I didn't mind paying the shipping charge. But if my order is somewhere between $20-24.99, then I'll keeping looking until I find something.

I never used to mind paying for shipping back in the day when Amazon never charged NY Sales Tax. Since I had to pay tax in stores, while at Amazon, I didn't have to, then it sort of balances out. But now that the law changed and Amazon is required to charge tax in NY, we get charged tax for BOTH the item and the shipping.

Offline FineBari3

[2funny]

That was fun-nee!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

I got all of mine at my local (Athens, Alabama) Wal-mart on the release date.  I was very impressed that they carried every set from the beginning and offered them at reasonable prices.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these episodes and especially the clarity.  It's like watching them for the first time!  Well, actually, there were 2 episodes that I had not seen before.  Can you believe it?  I had seen only 188 of them, until I got these sets.  It's funny how that works out.  The two I had not seen were "The Three Troubledoers" and "Outer Space Jitters."  They were really funny!

One thing about seeing the entire series, is that the whole "Joe Besser is the worst" legend is not necessarily true.  The absolute worst episode is "Flat-Foot Stooges," which, surprisingly, has Curly as the third stooge.  That was weird.

Anyway, I can't get over how much I've enjoyed these sets.  But I'm still wishing for a box set of the 1959-1965 feature films.  Is it all about the rights?  Should I buy the old versions of the films on DVD?  I'm wondering what my next move should be.  Perhaps it's best to wait.  I mean, hey, I waited this long for the shorts, perhaps another year or so for the feature films set will be worth it...

Offline pipboytaylor

Yeah, how about it? Does anyone have any hot news tips on any possible future dvd releases? I already have them all except "Have Rocket". It would be nice if they would include some other rarities including "Rockin' In The Rockies".

Offline ProfessorStooge

All 6 of the 1959-1965 features can not be put into one box set. Snow White and the Three Stooges is not owned by Sony (it was released by Fox). Have Rocket, Will Travel will likely be released as a standalone DVD. The rare stuff, like Rockin' in the Rockies, should see DVD release as well.

Offline Lefty

Well, actually, there were 2 episodes that I had not seen before.  Can you believe it?  I had seen only 188 of them, until I got these sets.  It's funny how that works out.  The two I had not seen were "The Three Troubledoers" and "Outer Space Jitters."  They were really funny!

Interesting, because for at least 2 decades I had never seen "You Nazty Spy," "A Gem of a Jam," and "Goofs and Saddles," not knowing that those shorts even existed, until our local Stooges' TV channel just started showing them one time (and many times afterwards).

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
One thing about seeing the entire series, is that the whole "Joe Besser is the worst" legend is not necessarily true.  The absolute worst episode is "Flat-Foot Stooges," which, surprisingly, has Curly as the third stooge.  That was weird.

That is actually the most interesting choice of worst short I have ever heard. I have seen Flat-Foot Stooges before but nothing about it is very memorable (perhaps I'll watch it again soon) but I don't remember it being the worst Curly, nevermind the worst short of all. I would personally go with Beer Barrel Polecats, The Yoke's On Me or Half-Wits Holiday for worst Curlys and either Sweet and Hot or one of the talking horse shorts for worst short overall. Still, I'd like to hear your reasoning as to why Flat-Foot Stooges is the worst Stooges short. It is nice to see a few people around here who realize everything Curly wasn't gold, which you wouldn't expect reading most of the short reviews.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

I have to go with Monkey Businessmen as the worst Curly short. Curly is in such bad shape you actually see Moe nudging Curly to say his lines. Beer Barrel Polecats is a close 2nd with the terrible way the old footage doesn't match with new footage.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

That is actually the most interesting choice of worst short I have ever heard. I have seen Flat-Foot Stooges before but nothing about it is very memorable (perhaps I'll watch it again soon) but I don't remember it being the worst Curly, nevermind the worst short of all. I would personally go with Beer Barrel Polecats, The Yoke's On Me or Half-Wits Holiday for worst Curlys and either Sweet and Hot or one of the talking horse shorts for worst short overall. Still, I'd like to hear your reasoning as to why Flat-Foot Stooges is the worst Stooges short. It is nice to see a few people around here who realize everything Curly wasn't gold, which you wouldn't expect reading most of the short reviews.
That "Everything Curly is gold" argument always gets me. I'm a much bigger fan of the Shemp era myself, but even some of the "best" Curlys are some of my least favorite shorts. I don't like any of the war propaganda shorts with the exception of They Stooge to Conga but I know You Nazty Spy! is revered as one of the greatest. I used to attend a Three Stooges Film Festival in the town I grew up in and even as a kid it annoyed me when the crowd booed a classic Shemp like Who Done It? and cheered and howled when I'll Never Heil Again came on.

I mean let's be honest, Curly is the general public's favorite Stooge. Casual fans know who he is.. even non-Stooge fans know Curly. But it's been like that as long as I can remember. I grew up in the late 80s and 90s with my dad who was a Shemp fan too so that's how I tend to gravitate towards the late 40s/early 50s shorts as my favorite. Flat-Foot Stooges just isn't that hilarious.. although I wouldn't rate it as the worst Curly, I definitely wouldn't put it in my Top 10 or even Top 30. Monkey Businessman is pretty painful which is sad since it's Kenneth MacDonald's first short but Beer Barrell Polecats is just a miserable mess of 16 minutes.

I find it funny that the sick-era Curly is deemed the worst of the worst but Micro-Phonies is one of my all-time favorite Stooge shorts.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Curly4444

That "Everything Curly is gold" argument always gets me. I'm a much bigger fan of the Shemp era myself, but even some of the "best" Curlys are some of my least favorite shorts. I don't like any of the war propaganda shorts with the exception of They Stooge to Conga but I know You Nazty Spy! is revered as one of the greatest. I used to attend a Three Stooges Film Festival in the town I grew up in and even as a kid it annoyed me when the crowd booed a classic Shemp like Who Done It? and cheered and howled when I'll Never Heil Again came on.

I mean let's be honest, Curly is the general public's favorite Stooge. Casual fans know who he is.. even non-Stooge fans know Curly. But it's been like that as long as I can remember. I grew up in the late 80s and 90s with my dad who was a Shemp fan too so that's how I tend to gravitate towards the late 40s/early 50s shorts as my favorite. Flat-Foot Stooges just isn't that hilarious.. although I wouldn't rate it as the worst Curly, I definitely wouldn't put it in my Top 10 or even Top 30. Monkey Businessman is pretty painful which is sad since it's Kenneth MacDonald's first short but Beer Barrell Polecats is just a miserable mess of 16 minutes.

I find it funny that the sick-era Curly is deemed the worst of the worst but Micro-Phonies is one of my all-time favorite Stooge shorts.

Man where do you live bizzaro world? Say hi to bizzaro superman for me.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Man where do you live bizzaro world? Say hi to bizzaro superman for me.
Because I prefer Shemp to Curly I live in Bizarro World? Seriously? Says the guy who fits the typical "Everything Curly is gold" stereotype. :D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline pipboytaylor

Curly? , Shemp?, the Joes?...We all have different opinions tastes and preferences. My view on the Stooges is as a whole, their complete body of work. So much of what makes any Stooge film classic or great also depends on the era, the writers and directors involved and what supporting players might be involved, not just whether it had Curly, Shemp or Joe as the third Stooge. I try to find something to like in all of their projects. Some of the simplest scenes in the world can make some of us laugh. Just a look even. Larry's look sitting ringside in "Punch Drunks" or Shemp's "glub glub" upon reading the comic book in "Sing A Song Of Six Pants". Appreciate their entire body of work and like what you like but try not to be a hater. ;D Shemp and Curly were both very talented comic performers.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I try to look at all the shorts for what they are. Just because Shemp is my favorite short does not I like every short with his face on the opening card, and I do not like every short or movie they ever made. However there does seem to be quite a few people who do not look at the shorts for what they are but will rate the shorts higher than what they should be just because Curly is in them. For instance, Half-Wits Holiday, which is extremely painful to look at due to Curly's condition, has been given 4 pokes by 9 people and a bomb only by one person (me). Nobody can sit there with a straight face and tell me Half-Wits Holiday is one of the greatest Stooge shorts. Curly's bad health effects the short severely. If it were Shemp or Joe as the third Stooge and they were in a comatose state Half-Wits Holidays would have a lot more bombs and lot less 4's.

A bad short is a bad short whether it has Curly, Shemp or Joe as the third Stooge, and likewise on the good ones.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I wonder who refuses to buy Volume 8, would have been nice if they came forward.

xraffle

As a big Curly fan, my favorite shorts are the Curly ones. But no, not all Curly shorts are the best. And for some reason, I actually like "Up In Daisy's Penthouse" a lot better than "3 Dumb Clucks." I just thought Shemp did a much better job than Curly in playing Old Man Howard. But no way would I choose a weak Curly shorts over a strong Shemp short just because Curly is in it. I would much rather watch "Crime On Their Hands" instead of "Monkey Businessmen."

And I may get shot for saying this, but "Three Little Pirates" is a weak short in my book. Many people like it, but I don't. I could still see the sick Curly even though many people think he looked good in that short.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
The as I call them top 190's all are not good, even though I am a died in the wool Shemp Fan.  To me the Shemp Solo Shorts and The Ted Healy and His Stooges Shorts are far and away the best.

Favourite Shemp Solo's:  "On The Wagon"; {With Roscoe Ates}:   and "His First Flame":  {With Daphne Pollard}:

Favourite Ted Healy and His Stooges; {With Bonnie Bonell}:  "Nertsery Rhymes" and "Beer and Pretzels":

Moron4392

LOL! I wonder if anyone will pick the last option. :laugh:
I haven't bought any of the volumes yet, but my interest in the Besser era (even though Shemp is actually the favorite in my house) is such that I've considered buying only volume 8. If I knew that it included material edited out of the "shown on TV" versions I'd probably get it.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.