Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191192

Offline metaldams

Doug, please tell me you watched this awesome game.

No, actually I just started dating this real ugly girl for the past few weeks and I watched season one of GLEE with her and her parents instead.  What happened, anything special?

Kidding, kidding, yes, of course I watched the game!  I was watching it over my parents house, which is why I wasn't posting during it.

I will say that was the greatest baseball game I have ever seen in my life.  Before that I would've told you game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, and while I'm more emotionally attached to that game for obvious reasons, for great pure baseball, game 6 of the 2011 is now the greatest I've seen.

If Texas loses tomorrow, this may be a bigger heartbreak than 1986 for Boston.  Texas will have made the World Series two years in a row after never being in one, and will lose twice.  Bad enough, but in their game six meltdown, they blew 2 two runs leads with one strike away, Boston only did that once.

What really boggles my mind is the 10th inning.  You have Darren Oliver, who is murder on lefties, facing two lefties and then a pitcher because there are no more bench players.  If he could've gotten two lefties out like he is paid to do, the only thing standing in the way of a Texas championship would've been a pitcher at the plate!

If St. Louis wins tomorrow, and I think they will, they, unlike the 2006 team who got lucky to be in the playoffs and had Detroit hand them the championship, will have absolutely earned it.  They just cameback twice in what may arguably be the greatest baseball game ever played and also had a miraculous regular season comeback to even make the playoffs.  If Texas wins tomorrow night, they will have earned it to because they will have shown they can comeback from a historic heartbreak.

Anybody who can not appreciate tonight's game is not a baseball fan, it doesn't matter who you root for.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

A month ago, I never thought that TB-NYY game (where TB was down like 7-0) could have been topped so soon.

Offline metaldams

A month ago, I never thought that TB-NYY game (where TB was down like 7-0) could have been topped so soon.

That game would've been much more impressive if it was Dave Robertson and Mariano Rivera they came back against and the Yankees didn't throw out triple A Scranton as their line up in extras.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, the Skanks didn't care about that game and they really had no reason to. I'd hardly put Tampa coming back against a bunch of scrubs anywhere near the same league as Game 6.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Offline falsealarms

That might be a first for me, but in that situation, why the hell not.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Wasn't it crazy how they ripped off his jersey?

That was as close to on camera sodomy in baseball as we'll hopefully ever get.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Well, maybe it would be a good thing if Bibi Jones is involved in the Diamondbacks opening day ceremony next year.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Good one.  [stooges]

Offline metaldams

Maybe Freeze had the same deal with god? lol  ::)

Well, you do have to consider God's role in baseball.  Tampa Bay became a much better team when they dropped the "Devil" from their name and just became the Rays.  Some people will sell you the bill of goods years of high draft picks and lots of young pitchers developing well is why they got better, but of course there's the more logical argument of divine intervention.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Offline metaldams

Further proof God has a role in baseball is that His son plays for the Yankees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jes%C3%BAs_Montero 

and His grandson the Athletics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_DeJesus

OK, I'll stop now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I am all for free speech, but sometimes you want to tell to these self-absorbed athletes to shut the fuck up and play.

Offline metaldams

I am all for free speech, but sometimes you want to tell to these self-absorbed athletes to shut the fuck up and play.

I have mixed feelings about it.  Ultimately, I'd rather have him hitting homeruns than lying in the gutter with a crack pipe, and if extreme prostelyzing and religion is what it takes to get him more productive and still living, whatever works, I guess.  As I'm sure you know, a LOT of drug addicts turn to Jesus in order to escape drugs, and they take it to an extreme level.  Gotta move from one extreme behavior to another.

I just take it with a mixture of laughter and an attitude of whatever works.  Bear in mind I'm a guy who considers good comedic television a faith healer at 3 AM on public access television.  "You foul rotten stinkin' devil I'm gonna beat you up you Devil I'm a gonna cut you up into little pieces in the name of Jesus."  You know, there's comic gold quotes like that in them thar hills.

My favorite drug addict turned to Jesus is Brian "Head" Welch of Korn, who went so far as to tattoo "Jesus" on his hand so it will stop him every time he has the urge to masturbate.  True story.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

That God business has no place being uttered in baseball. It's just ridiculous. I can respect people's beliefs, but it has no business in baseball. Keep those kind of feelings to yourself.

Offline metaldams

That God business has no place being uttered in baseball. It's just ridiculous. I can respect people's beliefs, but it has no business in baseball. Keep those kind of feelings to yourself.

"Are you trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

One of the best movie lines ever.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

I don't respect people's beliefs, concepts, ideals or opinions offhand and blanket-ly and I don't expect them to "respect" mine. As an atheist I find the whole "God concept" to be ridiculous on a personal level and I'm sure someone like Hamilton would have the same viewpoint of my non-belief. What I DO respect however is everyone's RIGHT to their beliefs, concepts etc. We are not a totalitarian state and no one can control the minds of others no matter how much they try.

What bugs me about Hamilton is not his religion but the self-righteous proselytizing he engages in and the whole self-absorbed idea that he of all people can have a personal conversation with deity of choice and said deity would really give a shit if this multimillionaire baseball player hits a home run in a baseball game when we have wars and famine and other important issues that such a deity should be paying attention to. That is what I find repugnant, offensive and asinine and that is why I have rooted for St. Louis in the Series despite Texas never having won and St. Louis trailing only the Yankees in WS wins.

The world would have been better off if Josh Hamilton had overdosed on heroin or died in a meth lab explosion.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Is there any chance that McCarver will retire after this? He looks like he's ready for the grave.

Offline falsealarms

I noticed that last night. He looks a older than he did even earlier in the season.

But retire, probably not now. He's signed through 2013, at which point I could see him give it up. He'd be 72 then.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I noticed that last night. He looks a older than he did even earlier in the season.

But retire, probably not now. He's signed through 2013, at which point I could see him give it up. He'd be 72 then.

He might pull a Vin Scully, except without the talent of the greatest baseball announcer of all time.

Nice job by Kinsler there, lol.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yikes, this is not looking good at all so far.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here we go again...Freese for MVP if Cards win.