The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191373

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Detroit failing to cash in early on, already 5 LOB through 2 innings. Down 2-0.

Not so fast there, Spanky. Detroit just took the lead with one Rayburn swing.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I'm so busy at work I can't even follow this game.  I'm now on my 15 minute break and checked up on the score for the 1st time in the 4th inning.  At least I'll watch most of the NLCS tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm so busy at work I can't even follow this game.  I'm now on my 15 minute break and checked up on the score for the 1st time in the 4th inning.  At least I'll watch most of the NLCS tonight.

Not me, I'll be watching Monday Night Football. It will be my first good look at the 4-0 Detroit Lions.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

Neil Best, long time sports media columnist for Newsday, chimes in on Francona:

"Being an analyst on a nationally televised playoff game with no experience is NOT as easy as Terry Francona is making it look."

https://twitter.com/#!/sportswatch/status/123532234438356992

Offline Justin T

What a game, Nelson Cruz tied the game 3-3 in the 7th with a solo homer. Then in the 11th he blasts
a walk off Grand Slam to give the Rangers a 7-3 win and they head to Detroit up 2-0 on the
Tigers. Tigers are in trouble I think.

I enjoyed hearing Francona in the booth, I think he did a good job for it being his first time.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Though they have a chance to get back in the series at home, Detroit really seems like a dead team walking. Game 2 was a great game to watch. One of the better ones of the playoffs so far.

Tough break for Milwaukee to have Marcum line up at home tonight. He had a 2.21 road ERA this year, but a 4.81 mark pitching at home. He was lifted after allowing 5 runs on 7 hits in 4 innings. STL leads 5-2 as the 5th begins.

Offline falsealarms

Unless you're a Cards fan, not a heck of a lot worth watching tonight. Cards steamroll Milwaukee 12-3 and wrestle home field advantage away. Not a game I expected STL to win. Tied 1-1 going back to STL.

Offline Curly4444

Unless you're a Cards fan, not a heck of a lot worth watching tonight.

A lot worth watching tonight for me.  [cool]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Unless you're a Cards fan, not a heck of a lot worth watching tonight. Cards steamroll Milwaukee 12-3 and wrestle home field advantage away. Not a game I expected STL to win. Tied 1-1 going back to STL.

Not to sound like a dick or anything false (which means I probably am going to sound like a dick) but do we need the "updates" when pretty much everyone who contributes to this thread is either watching or following the playoffs?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Did anybody watch the game? I got stoned and forgot it was on.

Offline metaldams

Did anybody watch the game? I got stoned and forgot it was on.

I watched it, glad to see Detroit win and make it a series.  Doug Fister pitched a great game and it was nice to finally see a good starting performance.  He went 7 1/3 while a lot of other starters are going about 4 or 5 innings lately.

Though I wasn't stoned, my brother and I might as well have been the way we were giggling when the Brewers mascot went down the slide last night after a home run.  That looked so funny for some reason.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Reports are coming out today that Theo Epstein is going to the Cubs, a deal is in place and the
Red Sox and Cubs are just working out the compensation for Theo since he's got a year left on
his Boston contract.

Also, Buster Olney in his daily ESPN.com column passed along a pretty damning article
from the Boston Globe about what was going on behind the scenes with the Red Sox
that helped contribute to the colapse. Buster says the stories coming out make it sound
like the final days of the Roman Empire. Those are some harsh words.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/12/red_sox_unity_dedication_dissolved_during_epic_late_season_collapse/?camp=misc:on:twit:rtbutto

I'll leave it to our Boston fans to comment on how they feel about all this.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline Justin T

As for Tigers/Rangers last night, good game. Tigers had to win to make this a series or the
Rangers would be on the verge of a sweep. Good pitching and big time hitting won the Tigers
the game. But the injuries seem to be mounting for Detroit, that's not good.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/12/red_sox_unity_dedication_dissolved_during_epic_late_season_collapse/?camp=misc:on:twit:rtbutto

I'll leave it to our Boston fans to comment on how they feel about all this.

Not too much of this surprises me except for perhaps Jon Lester.  Him having a bad attitude would break my heart, but I have a feeling over the years a lot more will be written about this season, and it will be interesting to see what comes out.

Being a fan of a sports team is generally a roller coaster ride, and right now it's one of those low points being a Red Sox fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just listened to a clip of a radio show out of WEEI in Boston and it was rather disheartening in regards to the ratings for Sunday's NLCS game. I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes but I thought this was interesting enough to share and will probably either make you wanna cry or punch the wall. Anyway, Game 1 of the NLCS was 8th in the cable ratings for Sunday, losing out to (among other things) Spongebob Squarepants and...(wait for it)....Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

Offline metaldams

Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

So in other words, not only does the NBA beat out out MLB in the ratings, but so does the family half the NBA players fucked.

I don't know what else to say other than this is sad.  The playoffs as a whole have been really good so far, the best they've been in years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
So in other words, not only does the NBA beat out out MLB in the ratings, but so does the family half the NBA players fucked.

I don't know what else to say other than this is sad.  The playoffs as a whole have been really good so far, the best they've been in years.

The NBA isn't going to beat anything in ratings with the lockout: they actually think people will care about it as much as the potential NFL one. So far they've lost the first two weeks of the season and still no one gives a shit.

If you think that was sad, on Monday it gets worse. Monday Night Football crushed everything, which is expected. But the Sportscenter after MNF, Kardashians, Monday Night Raw, pregame for MNF, a 1:15 am showing of NFL Primetime, something called "Chelsea Lately", and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills had higher ratings than Game 2. A 12:15 am showing of Robot Chicken tied Game 2.

Offline metaldams

The NBA isn't going to beat anything in ratings with the lockout: they actually think people will care about it as much as the potential NFL one. So far they've lost the first two weeks of the season and still no one gives a shit.

If you think that was sad, on Monday it gets worse. Monday Night Football crushed everything, which is expected. But the Sportscenter after MNF, Kardashians, Monday Night Raw, pregame for MNF, a 1:15 am showing of NFL Primetime, something called "Chelsea Lately", and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills had higher ratings than Game 2. A 12:15 am showing of Robot Chicken tied Game 2.

Monday Night Raw, in 2011, beat the playoffs?  Now THAT'S awful.  I can tell you in the Philadelphia sports area, sports don't exist if a Philly team is not involved.  The only people I can talk about the playoffs with outside my brother are online.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh boy, the rain is starting to fall in Detroit. Just what this series needs is another game delay.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, the rain has stopped & Porcello is dealing strikes. Good game so far...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Curly4444

Another nail biter. Cards win, and lead series 2-1. Can't believe they held on.

Offline metaldams

Another nail biter. Cards win, and lead series 2-1. Can't believe they held on.

I think your bullpen was perfect last night, not even allowing a baserunner.  The announcers said you guys lost 16 games leading after 8 innings, so last night was a bit surprising.  That Motte guy looks old school with his beard, reminds me of Jeff Reardon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I think your bullpen was perfect last night, not even allowing a baserunner.  The announcers said you guys lost 16 games leading after 8 innings, so last night was a bit surprising.  That Motte guy looks old school with his beard, reminds me of Jeff Reardon.
Yeah, i thought for sure the brewers would get 1 run. Motte kinda reminds me of this guy from the 82 team. His name is Bruce Sutter.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=suttebr01

Offline metaldams

Yeah, i thought for sure the brewers would get 1 run. Motte kinda reminds me of this guy from the 82 team. His name is Bruce Sutter.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=suttebr01

Yes!  Bruce Sutter!  I thought that as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It looks like the Rangers will emphatically stamp their tickets for a return to the World Series. It's a shame that what had been a good ALCS has to end in a romp.