Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191349

Offline falsealarms

One definite change probably will be the medical staff, given all the injuries and supposed conditioning issues. Gammons hinted the medical staff might be overhauled during a radio spot a couple weeks ago.

As bad as it is now, there's still every reason Boston will be contending again next year.

As far as Atlanta, their bullpen had nothing left, their lineup was still a quality bat short, and missing Hanson and Jurrjens for the past several weeks were massive blows.

Offline metaldams

One definite change probably will be the medical staff, given all the injuries and supposed conditioning issues. Gammons hinted the medical staff might be overhauled during a radio spot a couple weeks ago.

As bad as it is now, there's still every reason Boston will be contending again next year.

As far as Atlanta, their bullpen had nothing left, their lineup was still a quality bat short, and missing Hanson and Jurrjens for the past several weeks were massive blows.

The medical staff and conditioning definitely need to be overhauled, there's no question.  The Red Sox really need to work on their fundamentals as well, and I've been complaining about this all season.

Atlanta and Boston both had starting pitching issues down the stretch, and it trickled into their bullpen.  Both bullpens were overworked.  That Kimbrel kid closing games for Atlanta, it's INSANE how much he was used, same with Bard, and by the end of the season, it caught up to Papelbon.  I really think those 7 outs on Sunday, plus the 30 piches he threw in game 161, caught up to him. 

Lesson learned: it all starts with good starting pitching.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

First off, my condolences to the Red Sox and Braves' fans.  When I called it a night, the Phillies had just tied the Braves, the Yankees were up 7-0, and the Red Sox were in that rain delay (and the game would have been finished in full no matter how long the rain lasted).  I thought my wife was kidding me when she told me the news this morning. 

The current and prior teams from Boston just may have had the 4th-and-5th-biggest meltdowns in MLB history, in either order, as follows:

3.  2007 Mets, 7 games up with 17 to play.
2.  1987 Blue Jays, 3.5 games up with 7 to play.
1.  1964 Phillies, 6.5 games up with 12 to play.  At least Cholly overtook Gene Schmuck for most wins in team history.

I was not exactly rooting too hard for the Phillies last night, knowing that Brett "Hit-Man" Myers was blowing chunks on purpose, and that St. Louis would be the Phillies' most difficult N.L. opponent.  Well, all the Phillies have to do is win the last game they play this year.

Offline Justin T

Now that the playoffs are finally set, the Yankees get the distinct pleasure of facing Verlander and the Tigers in Game 1 of the ALDS Friday. Many fans were hoping we would get the Rangers in the first round because of how we have dominated them this season, but we don't. I still think we can beat Detroit, but it's not going to be a cakewalk. They are a very good team so we need to play our best. Rays/Rangers is interesting to see if the Rays can stay hot or not.

In the NL, the Braves choked and they are out and St.Louis is in. They get the Phillies and the Brewers get the D-Backs. I dont see the Cards having much of a chance vs Philly but this is the playoffs. Philly looked great last year and the Giants beat them in the NLCS in 6 games.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline JazzBill

Wow!!!!One of the biggest collapses I remember seeing. Not as big as the 1969 Cubs in my opinion.   :o
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
Baseball is the only game I really understand; The Tigers being my personal favorite team, Verlander is a good man on the mound, and he's only a year older then I. I think they will make a good fight, Yankees' are also a very good team. In fact IIRC Yankees are also the only team in history to score three grandslams in a game
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline JazzBill

Looks like Francona is outta there -

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/manager-terry-francona-expected-to-part-ways-with-red-sox-092911

The White Sox are looking for a new manager and the Cubs probably will be too.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Just because the guy slumped doesn't mean you get rid of him after 8 seasons and 2 World Series titles.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

Just because the guy slumped doesn't mean you get rid of him after 8 seasons and 2 World Series titles.

I don't have much time to post this weekend, but I'll very quickly say with some of the stuff coming out, Tito needs to go not because he's a bad manager, but because his personality is not fit for the current environment (and there's a lot coming out).  Boston needs a more in your face manager at this point, and frankly, I think Tito wants to go.  It's time for a change.

I'll always be a Francona fan, and I wish him the best of luck.  If the White Sox get him, they'll have a breath of fresh air from Ozzie Guillen.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I got good and perpetually stoned after the Sox blew the game against the O's and the Yankees blew theirs against Tampa. Quite frankly, I can give a shit less about the playoffs. I know it's sour grapes, sue me! My team isn't in it when for all intents and purposes they should have gotten in easily so I'm not watching any of the games. The media will most likely focus on a possible Skanks/Phils matchup (I don't blame them, that's the marquee matchup) and I don't have it in me to actively watch and root against the Bronx Fudgepackers winning championship #6329. They aren't nearly as compelling as they used to be. I also don't care for any of the bit players in this menagerie: Rays are a big yawn as are the Rangers, D-Backs, Brewers and Cardinals. The Tigers could be interesting, but there's football to be watched.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

The Red Sox must have some head cases (paging Mr. Drew et al.) for Terry Francona to have to be gone as manager.  When he managed the Phillies for 4 years, he was Mr. Nice Guy, as Curt Schilling and Scott Rolen loved playing for him.  Too bad ownership was so cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!  And when Tito Jr. and I were at the lab at the same time one day for blood tests, he waited for his turn just like all the other people.  Good old Ozzie wouldn't have done that. 

Offline Lefty

Now to the important stuff:  For the Phillies, one down, ten to go.  Football?  What's that?  Hockey season starts Thursday.  Bowling season continues until May.  Basketball?  Is that still around?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Now to the important stuff:  For the Phillies, one down, ten to go.  Football?  What's that?  Hockey season starts Thursday.  Bowling season continues until May.  Basketball?  Is that still around?

To answer forthwit: Football? The most popular sport in the US with television ratings that beat everything else, that's what! Hockey will feature the BOSTON BRUINS as the defending Stanley Cup winners, I believe they got some sweet revenge on the Flyers on their way to the cup. Bowling: fun to play boring to watch. As for basketball, their problems are apparently bigger than football's were and the season is in doubt (which would be completely stupid).

On a related basketball note: the new NBA game will feature MJ, Bird and Johnson on separate covers. This is mainly due to the strike, something about not being allowed to use current NBA players in marketing. Also, none of the drafted rookies will be in the game but can be added later in an update if the lockout/strike is ended.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'll always be a Francona fan, and I wish him the best of luck. 

Was in Boston on Friday, and went on the Fenway tour with a friend who's a huge fan.  So, we were there as the news was breaking.  Got to see Francona not able to pull into his gate as he arrived for his meeting... the remote code had been changed already.  TV/radio news crews and reporters stalking all the entrances, waiting for the story.

Afterward, we went across the street to to one of the brewery pubs, listening to all the fans, mostly co-miserating, but some in support of the decision.

I'm not a baseball fan, but it was interesting to see it happening firsthand.

Offline metaldams

The Red Sox must have some head cases (paging Mr. Drew et al.)

Seriously, get over it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I got good and perpetually stoned after the Sox blew the game against the O's and the Yankees blew theirs against Tampa. Quite frankly, I can give a shit less about the playoffs.

There's two parts of being a Red Sox fan, 1.) loving the Red Sox, 2.) hating the Yankees.

We may not be able to enjoy number 1, but we can still take a number 2.  The Yankees lost game 2 today, somebody pass the toilet paper.

Jim, no matter how bad things look for Boston, never let this collapse take away your birthright to root against the Yankees.  As long as pinstripes are breathing, I care, and even after that, as a baseball fan, I care anyway.

I also have to say, as much as I hate to see Boston go through this, I am morbidly fascinated by this whole collapse and am curious to see, good or bad, what the future holds.

Brent, I hope you enjoyed Fenway.  One of the two traditional ballparks left in the country, and a place I always enjoy being.  You certainly chose and interesting time to be there.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There's two parts of being a Red Sox fan, 1.) loving the Red Sox, 2.) hating the Yankees.

We may not be able to enjoy number 1, but we can still take a number 2.  The Yankees lost game 2 today, somebody pass the toilet paper.

Jim, no matter how bad things look for Boston, never let this collapse take away your birthright to root against the Yankees.  As long as pinstripes are breathing, I care, and even after that, as a baseball fan, I care anyway.

I also have to say, as much as I hate to see Boston go through this, I am morbidly fascinated by this whole collapse and am curious to see, good or bad, what the future holds.

Brent, I hope you enjoyed Fenway.  One of the two traditional ballparks left in the country, and a place I always enjoy being.  You certainly chose and interesting time to be there.

Oh I'll be rooting against the Yankees, and did tune in to see them lose in the rain, but it won't be any sweat off of my balls if they win. Plus, it's football season and the Pats won today.

Offline falsealarms

Disappointed that TB fell to Texas in game 3 of that series, but that was offset by the joy of seeing DET win their game 3 vs NY. DET better hope they can close the series tomorrow... I wouldn't want to go back to NY for game 5. Given what they've done lately, it's hard to rule out TB, but that loss really felt like a series-changer.

Arizona is pretty much done. I don't see them staging a comeback down 2-0. Milwaukee is a WS caliber team with a good offense, a 4-deep rotation, and a good bullpen (Saito, Loe, KRod, Axford especially). They just might be my pick to win the whole thing. With Fielder all but on his way out, their window may not be as good for awhile, so there's a good story to it as well.

I was stunned that STL came back and beat Lee and Philly when they were losing 4-0 early. I'd still pick Philly to win the series, but it's more interesting than I expected it to be. I was thinking Philly might sweep their way past STL. I'd rather see STL advance, though.

Offline metaldams

I was stunned that STL came back and beat Lee and Philly when they were losing 4-0 early. I'd still pick Philly to win the series, but it's more interesting than I expected it to be. I was thinking Philly might sweep their way past STL. I'd rather see STL advance, though.

When I went to bed, it was 4 - 0 Phillies, Cliff Lee on the mound, and I just figured the Phils would be up 2 - 0 in the series.  I was shocked to see St. Louis come back.

I'm pulling for Milwaukee at this point, though I wouldn't mind seeing Texas win either.  Neither franchise has ever won a World Series, and especially with Milwaukee, like you mentioned, this is probably their only shot with Prince Fielder.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Today's desires:

1.  Phillies win, preferably by 9:00 p.m. EDT.
2.  Yankees lose, at any hour.
3.  Arizona wins, so tomorrow's Phillies' game is on at a reasonable time.

Offline Justin T

Last night's loss was pretty fustrating, we got 4 runs of Verlander but Sabathia didn't pitch well and Soriano made one mistake that gave the Tigers the lead back after we had tied it again.

Now we have to hope that not only we hit well tonight, but that AJ Burnett pitches well enough for
us to win. Which is asking a hell of alot at this point.

Congrats to the Rangers, they are a good team. I was also shocked the Cards were able to come back and beat Cliff Lee too. That makes that series a bit more interesting. Brewers have the Diamondbacks number, that series is pretty much over with.

If we lose to the Tigers, I'll be upset but I will gladly root for them to win it all. I have no grudge or ill feelings toward Detroit and I really respect Jim Leyland and Verlander.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Last night's loss was pretty fustrating, we got 4 runs of Verlander but Sabathia didn't pitch well and Soriano made one mistake that gave the Tigers the lead back after we had tied it again.

Now we have to hope that not only we hit well tonight, but that AJ Burnett pitches well enough for
us to win. Which is asking a hell of alot at this point.

I can't say depending on A.J. Burnett to save your season is a good prospect, but I think the Yankee bats will respond tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

What a lousy day.

* Rays eliminated.

* Cardinals lose to Phillies in STL.

* Detroit blows a golden opportunity to clinch the series at home against a pitcher the Yankees hoped they wouldn't need to start. That Granderson catch in the first probably saved 3 runs and changed the course of the game as far I'm concerned. Detroit jumping out 3-0 in the first would have meant a completely different game. This was Detroit's night to win the series. You can't lose to Burnett in your own park with a chance to go onto the ALCS. I'm not expecting DET to win game 5 in NY. To have a chance to win a series at home and get blown out (10-1 now) is an embarrassment.

Offline Justin T

Yankees couldn't have asked for a better outcome here, AJ pitches great and the bats come alive for 10 runs. Its 10-1 in the 8th and barring a miracle comeback from the Tigers, were going back home for Game 5.

Granderson's catch in the 1st was huge. Awesome play.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"