Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191672

Offline falsealarms

I feel nothing but contempt for this current Red Sox team.  Losing a tough game 7 like in '03 and '08 is tough but you just tip your hat to the team for a good effort and move on.  This September downfall is just downright deplorable.  I just hope they don't go to a tiebreaker in Tampa Bay, but at this rate, I don't think they'll make it that far.

Hypothetically, if Boston slumps their way out of the playoffs, do you fire Francona? Odds are someone's head will roll.

Offline metaldams

Hypothetically, if Boston slumps their way out of the playoffs, do you fire Francona? Odds are someone's head will roll.

They have an option on Francona's contract they haven't picked up yet.  Barring a big post season run and turnaround, I think Tito's days as Sox manager are over.  It's very obvious some chnage needs to be made, and it would not surprise me if he's one of them.

I'm a believer in intangibles and chemistry, and I know that makes all the number nerds uncomfortable.  When Tito first started managing the Red Sox, we had several strong personalities known as the "idiots," and I feel Francona, a reserved guy, was a perfect compliment to a rowdy bunch like that.  He handles the media well and limits the P.R. damage, which especially came in handy when dealing with Manny Ramirez.

As great as Francona is with the media, I don't think he's a great in game manager, and Jim may disagree with me on that.  He pulls out pitchers way too late and overworks bullpens, and we have lost more extra innings games with him than won because he doesn't know how to manage for small ball nor does he preach fundamentals, or at least it appears that way to me.

This current batch of Red Sox, minus Pedroia, Papelbon, and maybe a few others, are mostly low key J.D. Drew types and I really feel they would benefit from a manager with more fire in his belly and will outwardly chew somebody out for making mistakes.  This team right now is out of shape, and I mean that in the literal physical sense, and I would love to see somebody chew them out and get them into shape.  I don't think Tito's that guy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'd like to add I am grateful to Francona for the championships, as I think he was a great fit for those teams.  I will always be a fan of the guy, but I also think it's time to move on.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Well, we've taken the lead in the 7th!  Man I hope they hold this, we need this one badly!  Credit to Lackey for settling down after the 1st, he gave us a chance.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

You following this one Jim?

Need a clutch hit, but paps has to get through the 10th 1st.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, this Romine kid for the Yanks, I got his Dad's autograph at a game when I was a kid.  Kevin Romine used to play for the Red Sox.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Is it just me or is the ump just plain awful tonight?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

They're throwing Papelbon out there for a 3rd inning!  Major desparation, and again a complete lack of clutch hitting to this point.  So glad Francona pitch ran Anderson for Gonzalez.  >:(
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There's no way we shouldn't win with big bad Aaron Laffey coming in...they might still find a way to lose though.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Give it up for Paps, if we go down it won't be because of him.

Offline metaldams

Give it up for Paps, if we go down it won't be because of him.

Amazing job tonight.

We need to pull a clutch hit, something this team has been lacking, well, the past few seasons.  I know Laffey sucks, but he's still a major league pitcher.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Jim, let's say we do get this lead.  Who closes?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Theo Epstein.

Offline metaldams

Theo Epstein.

Nah, I say we bring back Nick Green.

Morales in, not quite the white flag named Bowden, but this is not looking good.  The lack of clutch hitting again killing this team.  They have nothing to fight for, we have everything to fight for, and we're still struggling to score when it counts.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Perhaps they'll bring back Jeff Reardon. By the way, this is about to become the third biggest thread in site history, trailing only the Newbie thread and the asinine Classic Line thread.

Offline metaldams

A guy named Jesus gets a cheap bloop. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Perhaps they'll bring back Jeff Reardon. By the way, this is about to become the third biggest thread in site history, trailing only the Newbie thread and the asinine Classic Line thread.

I saw Reardon save a game or two when he was a Sox when i was at the ball park.  Heard he got into some trouble with the law a few years back.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I saw Reardon save a game or two when he was a Sox when i was at the ball park.  Heard he got into some trouble with the law a few years back.

Yeah, poor Jeff has had a rough time since his son committed suicide. He was arrested for armed robbery and found not guilty for reasons of drug-induced insanity because of the suicide and the myriad of prescriptions they had him on.

Offline metaldams

Yeah, poor Jeff has had a rough time since his son committed suicide. He was arrested for armed robbery and found not guilty for reasons of drug-induced insanity because of the suicide and the myriad of prescriptions they had him on.

That's terrible man.  Kind of puts the pressure on this game in perspective, it's not that important in the scheme of things.

Fuck what I just said, GO RED SOX!!  Get this out and get some runs when they count.  Get one of those 10 run innings when we're not already up by 5.   [pie]

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
From the Twitter of Globe Sox writer Peter Abraham:

"Foul ball into the Legends seats. Luckily no one was sitting there. As usual"

Nice burn!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At this point I feel if we pull this off we make the playoffs, if not then it's ratings killer Tampa Bay.

Offline metaldams

At this point I feel if we pull this off we make the playoffs, if not then it's ratings killer Tampa Bay.

Have no fear, Lars Anderson is up.  I'd rather have Lars Ulrich at this point.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Have no fear, Lars Anderson is up.  I'd rather have Lars Ulrich at this point.

I'm surprised we didn't trade Lars at this point. With A-Gone signed to a long term deal he'll never make it past Pawtucket.

Offline metaldams

I'm surprised we didn't trade Lars at this point. With A-Gone signed to a long term deal he'll never make it past Pawtucket.

He was all but gone in the Harden deal but that was scratched at the last minute.  He'll be gone soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

He fucking walked Gregg Golson.  Gregg Golson!
- Doug Sarnecky