The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191581

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At least I was high last night, or else I would have thrown something through the tv.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

At least I was high last night, or else I would have thrown something through the tv.

The Red sox are a great team, but if they have one weakness, it's lack of fundamental baseball skills.  That missing the sign on the squueze was unforgiveable, and I can hardly ever remember an extra inning game where they were able to get that runner in from third with less than two outs.

How did the Royals score their runs?  A bunt and a sac fly.  We had several opportunities to do the same and failed, and that's why we usually lose these marathon games. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

If Aceves arm doesn't fall off, he is going to go down, IMO, as an incredibly valuable piece to this team when they talk about this season.  I can't stress enough how awesome he's been, the way he's been eating innings and saving our bullpen.  It's been a long time since we've had a long reliever of his caliber.

But when you really boil it down, as Sunday and today have proven, the Red Sox will make it as far in the playoffs as Clay Buchholz allows them.  It's really important he comes back healthy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I would not wanted to pitch for Seattle.

Doug Fister (3 - 12 3.33 ERA)

Rumors at the trade deadline that he will be trading the R in his last name for a D.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Epic game going on between PIT-ATL. Going to the 19th inning. Tied at 3.

Offline metaldams

Epic game going on between PIT-ATL. Going to the 19th inning. Tied at 3.

Only the lunatic fringe is following that game right now.  Where's my medication?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.........and what a bullshit ending, Lugo was out.  Very disappointing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

That was brutal. Worst call I've seen this year... there was no doubt Lugo was out. Somebody wanted the game to be over with, I guess.

I was watching the Pirates feed via MLB.tv and they showed Neil Walker signing autographs... for a guy to be doing that after losing a 19 inning is pretty nice to see.

Offline Bum

Only the lunatic fringe is following that game right now.  Where's my medication?

And only the lunatic fringe would call off work because of a Pirates game........ but I couldn't help it! I've fallen asleep to extra inning games dozens of times before [and ALMOST did with this one at one point], but the longer this one went on, the more awake and nervous I became. By the time it ended, and due to the WAY it ended, I was so charged up that there was no way I could decompress, go to sleep, and wake up for work three hours later. So I stayed up and watched the postgame show on Root Sports [I live in Pittsburgh]. I don't think I've ever been so upset by a baseball call in years.........

.........HOWEVER......... watching some other angles of the play that weren't shown on my local coverage [and replays on ESPN], I'm not so sure he actually tagged him. I saw lots of angles where it APPEARED the tag was made, but none that gave conclusive proof. There was at least one angle, however, where you consistently saw "space" between the glove and the leg. In either case, there was NO WAY the game should have ended on a call like that. If you're gonna have those B.S. "neighborhood" calls on double-plays, then there's no way in hell that you call this one anything but "out".

Offline metaldams

So I stayed up and watched the postgame show on Root Sports [I live in Pittsburgh]. I don't think I've ever been so upset by a baseball call in years.........

...and you have every right to feel the way you do.  You're in your first pennant race in 19 years, and if you lose, it should not be because of bad officiating.  I have a feeling that ump just wanted to go home, but that call was inexcusable.  I saw the replays too, and Lugo was touched.

I'm upset about it, and I'm a Red Sox fan.  Heck, Pittsburgh is my second favorite team for this one season because of how long it's been since they've competed, and I don't normally have a second favorite team. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bum

Here's some Zapruder-like frames. Everyone can judge for themselves, but at the very least, I will say that this call was MUCH closer than originally thought......

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=197224137002202&set=a.197222230335726.56505.100001438512984&type=1&l=9d62c6f541&theater

Offline falsealarms

PIT and ATL, who played 19 innings last night, are in extras again tonight.

Offline metaldams

PIT and ATL, who played 19 innings last night, are in extras again tonight.

No way I'm staying up again.  I have a fun filled day tomorrow with work as the headliner and going to the DMV as an opening act.  Need my sleep.

Now for the anti-Fister, Boston's own John Lackey.

9 - 8 6.20 ERA

Ironically, Fister beat Lackey in a 2 - 0 game earlier in the year where the Red Sox went 0 for 1,500 with RISP.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

The Red sox are a great team, but if they have one weakness, it's lack of fundamental baseball skills. 

Change "Red Sox" to "Phillies" and it's the same thing.

Offline JazzBill

Great game. Chicago can beat the good teams, it's bad teams that give us trouble. Thats 7 in a row over Boston. I believe we're at 500 now.  ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Great game. Chicago can beat the good teams, it's bad teams that give us trouble. Thats 7 in a row over Boston. I believe we're at 500 now.  ;D

I hate playing you guys.  Enjoy teeing off on Miller, and heck, you even hit Lester well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

While I was watching the Phillies pound the Pirates last night (and watching WWE Smackdown taped Tuesday night across the way from where the Phillies won their only game over the Giants), CSN showed Hunter Pence being pulled from the Astros' game in Milwaukee.  Much later we were told that the Phillies had acquired Pence for 3 A-ball players and a player to be named later.  I knew that neither Domonic Brown (sent down to AAA) nor Vance Worley wore in the trade, as Brown finished the game and Worley was shown in the dugout with the other starting pitchers many times.  Hopefully Pence will do a fine job for the Phillies, so they may win the last game they play in October (or November).

Offline metaldams

While I was watching the Phillies pound the Pirates last night (and watching WWE Smackdown taped Tuesday night across the way from where the Phillies won their only game over the Giants), CSN showed Hunter Pence being pulled from the Astros' game in Milwaukee.  Much later we were told that the Phillies had acquired Pence for 3 A-ball players and a player to be named later.  I knew that neither Domonic Brown (sent down to AAA) nor Vance Worley wore in the trade, as Brown finished the game and Worley was shown in the dugout with the other starting pitchers many times.  Hopefully Pence will do a fine job for the Phillies, so they may win the last game they play in October (or November).

A great team got greater last night.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Ouch!!!!!! 10-2  [censored]

Offline metaldams

Offline metaldams

By the way, Boston gets Rich Harden from Oakland!  If he stays healthy, this could be a great move.  I have my fingers crossed, but hey, he did beat the Yankees last weekend, and he's back with his old pitching coach.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

By the way, Boston gets Rich Harden from Oakland!  If he stays healthy, this could be a great move.  I have my fingers crossed, but hey, he did beat the Yankees last weekend, and he's back with his old pitching coach.

I think that deal broke down. Probably a break for Boston, he spends a lot of time on the DL.

Offline Justin T

Yankees did good this weekend, taking 3 of 4 from the Orioles. Winning both games of the
double header yesterday was huge. They won both games by a combined score of 25-6. Yikes.
But the thing that surprised me was they set a new team record with the most runs scored in the
first inning of a game with 12.

It's important to win these games, gotta keep pace with Boston. Although if the White Sox beat them
this afternoon we'll only be 1 game behind.

The division race is going to go down to the wire this year.

Doesn't look like were going to make a serious move before the trading deadline.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I think that deal broke down. Probably a break for Boston, he spends a lot of time on the DL.

You're right, it did.  Boston ends up getting Erik Bedard instead.  Fingers crossed on him, but when he's haelthy, he's usually very good.  I remember the season he had for Baltimore in '07.

As for the Yanks, I haven't been online much today so I'm a little out of the loop, but I'm shocked if they land nobody.  I heard Wandy Rodriguez was a possibility?

- Doug Sarnecky