Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191304

Offline metaldams

They're not getting any breaks tonight. It seems like every time they get something going they ground into a DP and the Rays just scored thanks to two passed balls.

I was dreading this series, we haven't been able to win in Tampa since 2007. 

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Pay attention to Andrew Miller, Boston fans...

Former top 10 pick (2006, DET) is joining the rotation next week and has been lights out in AAA the past few turns. The six-foot-seven lefthander fanned 10 in 5.1 tonight while sitting 93-95 MPH. He has been a totally different pitcher since changing his pre-game routine to include pitching a simulated inning in the pen before the game. He was rushed and mishandled by DET and FLA and could be turning a corner.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/03/red_sox_miller_warms_up_to_buchholzs_idea/

Offline metaldams

Pay attention to Andrew Miller, Boston fans...

Former top 10 pick (2006, DET) is joining the rotation next week and has been lights out in AAA the past few turns. The six-foot-seven lefthander fanned 10 in 5.1 tonight while sitting 93-95 MPH. He has been a totally different pitcher since changing his pre-game routine to include pitching a simulated inning in the pen before the game. He was rushed and mishandled by DET and FLA and could be turning a corner.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/03/red_sox_miller_warms_up_to_buchholzs_idea/

His issue before was walks but supposedly he has that taken care of that.  He has nasty stuff and I'm curious to see what he can do.  Not all young guys pan out, but if he reaches his potential, having another strong starter lined up with Lester, Buchholz and Beckett for a number of years can be downright scary.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Jim, I'm sure you were understandably paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals, but did you watch Beckett tonight?  An infield hit was the only thing that prevented a no-hitter.  He was dominant, and the game was a great pitcher's duel, decided with a Kevin Youkilis three run bomb in the 7th.  Beckett might win a Cy Young if he keeps this up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I watched the first hour before Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and saw the hit. I'll watch the rest in archive on MLB.tv in a little bit since I love pitcher's duels and the pitching has been great on both sides in this series.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

False, my condolences for tonight.  I watched that Mets game.  Not only does K-Rod give up a 2 run bomb to send it into extras, but you lose on a.........balk?  Balkoff, anyone?  Ouch.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Thankfully, while the Red Sox have continued to perform well the Yankees have done a great job
recovering from the sweep last week by taking 3 of 4 from the Indians and a sweep of the Rangers.
Alot of the games were just big blowouts, I was impressed. The back to back 12 to 4 wins over
the Rangers were fun to watch. Today's game was a good nail bitter, glad we won in extras for
the sweep.

So that leaves us still a game and a half behind the Sox. I'll take it.

I will admit that was a hell of a pitching performance by Beckett the other night. He and
Verlander were throwing filthy stuff this week.

and congrats to Bruins fans, nice job in winning the Stanley Cup for the first time in 39 years,
and doing it on the road in a Game 7. Nice work. Too bad some people in Vancouver were sore losers.
The rioting was disgraceful.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Thankfully, while the Red Sox have continued to perform well the Yankees have done a great job
recovering from the sweep last week by taking 3 of 4 from the Indians and a sweep of the Rangers.
Alot of the games were just big blowouts, I was impressed. The back to back 12 to 4 wins over
the Rangers were fun to watch. Today's game was a good nail bitter, glad we won in extras for
the sweep.

My gut's telling me this will be one of those old school years where we're battling for the division and the second place team gets the wild card.  Tampa's 5 1/2 back and while they have good pitching, that line up doesn't scare me.

You guys just got this Gordon kid off the Phils, might turn out to be a steal?  We'll see.  Buchholz may be hurt, so Andrew Miller may be valuable for a little while.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The more research I did on this Gordon "kid," I realized he's 32.  Old guy, I think Metaldams is that age.

Oh well, he'll go 10 - 0 and retire like Aaron Small.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
A couple of surprises in the standings thus far:

Pittsburgh Pirates: 35-33 3GB NL Central. I know it is still early but am I the only one who thought the Pirates would be either fifth or last in the division and out of contention by now? They are a very young team that has key components that have played together for awhile. They have pretty good pitching and lead their division in runs allowed but they are also last in the division in runs scored. I don't see them winning the division this year or having a winning record at the end the season but I think they could win 75-80 which would be great season for this team and as long as ownership and the GM doesn't mess up and get cheap they could be a legit contender (last year 57-105).

Arizona Diamondbacks: 38-32 1.5 GB NL West. Where the Pirates have been riding their pitching to a surprising record the D-Backs have been riding their hitting. Arizona leads their division in runs scored while also giving up the most runs. If you had a team with the Pirates pitching and the D-Backs lineup they would be pennant contenders (last year 65-97).

Seattle Mariners 35-34 0.5 GB AL West. Yet another team that was last place with a bullet a year ago that seems to have turned things around so far this year. Of the three teams I think Seattle has the best chance to actually win their division; they currently trail the Cliff Lee-less Rangers in what is overall a weak division (last year 61-101).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nice win for the Cubs today, but I gotta say the "Go Cubs Go" song they play is ultra lame.

Offline metaldams

Nice win for the Cubs today, but I gotta say the "Go Cubs Go" song they play is ultra lame.

You need to use more positive language when you speak.  It's a LOSS FOR THE YANKEES.  Tha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a Yankeseeeeeeeesssssss Looooooosssssssss-ah!  They should hire me to be their new radio announcer.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Pittsburgh Pirates: 35-33 3GB NL Central. I know it is still early but am I the only one who thought the Pirates would be either fifth or last in the division and out of contention by now? They are a very young team that has key components that have played together for awhile. They have pretty good pitching and lead their division in runs allowed but they are also last in the division in runs scored. I don't see them winning the division this year or having a winning record at the end the season but I think they could win 75-80 which would be great season for this team and as long as ownership and the GM doesn't mess up and get cheap they could be a legit contender (last year 57-105).

Arizona Diamondbacks: 38-32 1.5 GB NL West. Where the Pirates have been riding their pitching to a surprising record the D-Backs have been riding their hitting. Arizona leads their division in runs scored while also giving up the most runs. If you had a team with the Pirates pitching and the D-Backs lineup they would be pennant contenders (last year 65-97).

Seattle Mariners 35-34 0.5 GB AL West. Yet another team that was last place with a bullet a year ago that seems to have turned things around so far this year. Of the three teams I think Seattle has the best chance to actually win their division; they currently trail the Cliff Lee-less Rangers in what is overall a weak division (last year 61-101).

Supposedly the Mariners have brought up some young hot shot second baseman, so that should be interesting to keep an eye on.

My roomate is kind of/sort of a Pirates fan (he is a major Steelers fan and he'll actually be at the game in Fenway on Saturday), so I was teasing him last night saying he should be happy the pirates are only 3 back this late in the season.  In all seriousness, I hope they win the division.  It probably won't happen, but it will be a cool story.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
A dark cloud hangs over tonight's easy win against the Brewers...I hope Crawford is not headed for the DL.

Offline FineBari3

You ought to be here in Pittsburgh!  People are wearing Pirates gear, going to the games, and talking about the Pirates! I have actually watched every game, which is something I haven't done since the 1980's.  It is SO nice to watch baseball that doesn't stink here in Pittsburgh! 

It's been 18 years since we have finished above .500.  I have been saying the slogan "Pittsburgh Pirates: the New Cubs!" for about 5 years now.  I actually know the players names and what position they play.  I just hope they don't get traded.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You ought to be here in Pittsburgh!  People are wearing Pirates gear, going to the games, and talking about the Pirates! I have actually watched every game, which is something I haven't done since the 1980's.  It is SO nice to watch baseball that doesn't stink here in Pittsburgh! 

It's been 18 years since we have finished above .500.  I have been saying the slogan "Pittsburgh Pirates: the New Cubs!" for about 5 years now.  I actually know the players names and what position they play.  I just hope they don't get traded.

I literally had to do a double when I noticed they where they were in the standings because much you and other Pirate fans I have been conditioned to expect them at the bottom and not pay attention to them. They have the building blocks in place and if they were to add some pop (perhaps a couple of cheaper vets who can still go yard 20-30 times a season?) they could be a legit contender. I would like to see them turn the page as Pittsburgh is a great sports town and the Pirates are a classic organization.

Offline Lefty

Will wonders never cease?  The Phillies actually won an interleague game -- on the road, even!  They even beat Felix Hernandez facing him for the first time.  For one night, "The King Has Lost His Crown."

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Injury bug keeps biting the Red Sox as Bucholz joins Crawford and Lowrie on the DL. Miller has been called up and will start tomorrow against the Padres.

It was really cool to see all of the Bruins throwing the first pitch and the Stanley Cup out on the pitcher's mound.

Offline metaldams

Injury bug keeps biting the Red Sox as Bucholz joins Crawford and Lowrie on the DL. Miller has been called up and will start tomorrow against the Padres.

It was really cool to see all of the Bruins throwing the first pitch and the Stanley Cup out on the pitcher's mound.

My gut tells me Buchholz will be OK and Miller will be able to hold the fort down in the meantime, but we'll wait and see.

Lowrie is great when he's healthy, the problem is he just isn't healthy enough.  I really wouldn't mind us making a push for Jose Reyes, but the way people talk he'll just be a rental as we seem to have a lot invested in Iglesias.

Losing Crawford sucks, no different way to slice it.  May be a good opportunity for Reddick to show what he can do, as I have a feeling he'll be battling Ryan Kalish for right field next year.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I think it's GREAT that the Marlins might make Jack McKeon their interim manager. McKeon is 80 years old. Only one man, Hall of Famer Connie Mack, managed an MLB team at an older age. Amazingly, Mack was a major league manager when he was 87 years old (in 1950).

McKeon was born the same year SOUP TO NUTS came out.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He has indeed become the manager of the Marlins, and why not? He is still sharp as a knife and always had a great baseball mind.

Offline metaldams

He has indeed become the manager of the Marlins, and why not? He is still sharp as a knife and always had a great baseball mind.

....an d he's making his mark already.  Hanley Ramirez shows up late to the 1st team meeting, he gets benched.  That's old school, and The Marlins need that now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I know how it is, we just lost Albert Pujols. Hes out for 6 weeks at least.

Offline metaldams

I know how it is, we just lost Albert Pujols. Hes out for 6 weeks at least.

Yeah, I heard that, what a tough break for you guys. 
- Doug Sarnecky