Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191548

Offline metaldams

Yankees lineup while older, still has the power.

I don't know what you guys are going to do with 40 something A-Rod's and Jeters.  Those contracts are beyond insanity.  The Red sox generally don't like to go beyond age 36, but with the way Ortiz is this season, I'm very interested to see how his off-season will be.

A Yankee fan friend of mine actually believes Jeter deserved the contract he got this off-season.  Complete insanity.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Yankees had all of the pull in those negotiations and were in the right. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY was going to give Jeter anything more than maybe $5 million a year if he was lucky. However they were so afraid of public perception they caved and gave him a contract he does not deserve.

The Yankees, like the Celtics in basketball, are indeed getting old. On top of that they won't need the top free agent this year because they already have an All-Star player tied down to a big time contract at 1B. It'll be interesting to see where the Pujols negotiations go without NYY and BOS in the mix.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
8-1 against the Skanks and 6-0 at the Outhouse That Steinbrenner Built: it's beautiful.

They wanted to intentionally hit Papi and celebrate after? They got it shoved right up their asses by Papi and the rest of the Red Sox. Well done.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

8-1 against the Skanks and 6-0 at the Outhouse That Steinbrenner Built: it's beautiful.

They wanted to intentionally hit Papi and celebrate after? They got it shoved right up their asses by Papi and the rest of the Red Sox. Well done.

Papi has been intentionally hitting the Yankees for years, like '04 ALCS game 4, '04 ALCS game 5, etc.  ;D  He intentionally hit them again last night.  You're right, it's all beautiful.

First time Boston has won six straight in New York since 1912.  Time to break out my Tris Speaker jersey!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Things looked good for awhile, then CC had a total meltdown and the game was over.

*shrugs* Not much you can do about that, just have to play better next time.

Ugh, I cant wait for Martin to catch again, Cervelli made another awful throw to second
last night. It wasn't even close! I think its time we brought Montero up from AAA and
give him a shot. If this is our best backup behind Martin I'm not thrilled.

Between the sweep and Joba needing Tommy John Surgery for a torn ligament in
his arm, not a good week for the Yanks.

On the plus side, Jeter is now just 10 hits from reaching 3,000. Looking foward to
seeing him join the 3,000 hit club.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Things looked good for awhile, then CC had a total meltdown and the game was over.

*shrugs* Not much you can do about that, just have to play better next time.

Ugh, I cant wait for Martin to catch again, Cervelli made another awful throw to second
last night. It wasn't even close! I think its time we brought Montero up from AAA and
give him a shot. If this is our best backup behind Martin I'm not thrilled.

Between the sweep and Joba needing Tommy John Surgery for a torn ligament in
his arm, not a good week for the Yanks.

On the plus side, Jeter is now just 10 hits from reaching 3,000. Looking foward to
seeing him join the 3,000 hit club.

You know things are going good for Boston when one of your guys has to get Tommy John surgery and New York weeps.  One of Boston's guys has to get Tommy John surgery (Dice-K), and Boston cheers.

Actually, we also lost Rich Hill to Tommy John surgery, and while he's under the radar, he was proving to be a valuable lefty out of the pen.

Yeah, I thought C.C. had us last night, then came the 7th inning.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think I'll have to change the name of the new Yankee Stadium to "The House That Big Papi Built". As of right now the Red Sox and Ortiz in particular are in the Yanks' heads like the Yanks were in Pedro's head a few years back. It looks bleak for them on the head to head the rest of the season, moreso than in previous years when the Red Sox jumped out to an early lead because the majority of games left will be at Fenway.

Offline metaldams

It looks bleak for them on the head to head the rest of the season, moreso than in previous years when the Red Sox jumped out to an early lead because the majority of games left will be at Fenway.

I know the Yanks are still scoring lots of runs, but their line-up does not scare me like in years past.  Oh, don't get me wrong, if in year's past they scared me 10 on a scale of 10, it's still a healthy 8.5 - 9, but I'm noticing a decline.  Jeter and A-Rod getting older are a big part of it, but I'll tell you the one guy who does scare me - Robinson Cano. 

Speaking of Cano, I gained some respect for him the past few days, even though he said something I completely disagree with.  He stated Tim Wakefield should be in the hall of fame someday.  Like I said, I completely disagree with that sentiment as much as I like and respect Wake, but I thought that was a nice gesture on Cano's part to publically say that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I know the Yanks are still scoring lots of runs, but their line-up does not scare me like in years past.  Oh, don't get me wrong, if in year's past they scared me 10 on a scale of 10, it's still a healthy 8.5 - 9, but I'm noticing a decline.  Jeter and A-Rod getting older are a big part of it, but I'll tell you the one guy who does scare me - Robinson Cano. 

Speaking of Cano, I gained some respect for him the past few days, even though he said something I completely disagree with.  He stated Tim Wakefield should be in the hall of fame someday.  Like I said, I completely disagree with that sentiment as much as I like and respect Wake, but I thought that was a nice gesture on Cano's part to publically say that.

Yeah, that was nice thing to say. That's why I love Cano. He's a nice guy.

Looks like were taking out our fustrations on the Indians tonight, 6-0 Yankees in the 5th. Granderson and A-Rod have both homered. Grandy
now has 19 Home Runs. Him and Teixeira have been home run machines so far this season. They are now second and third in the AL for HR's
behind Jose Bautista.

Carmona is lucky he didnt get tossed, after Granderson hit that homer he plunks Teixeira hard in the back. Both benches cleared but
thankfully nothing happened. Nova is pitching good tonight, so far.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I dunno Doug, I think there very well might be place for Wake in the HOF. He has done practically everything a can do throughout his career and done it better than most guys like him. He's a "jack of all trades, master of none" and to still be consistantly this good at his age is remarkable.

I'm not saying he's a definite first ballot type of guy but he definitely should be considered.

Offline metaldams

I dunno Doug, I think there very well might be place for Wake in the HOF. He has done practically everything a can do throughout his career and done it better than most guys like him. He's a "jack of all trades, master of none" and to still be consistantly this good at his age is remarkable.

I'm not saying he's a definite first ballot type of guy but he definitely should be considered.

I mean no disrespect to Tim Wakefield in what I'm about to say, but the Hall of Fame is reserved for the best.  Tim Wakefield has a place on the Red Sox Hall of Fame.  Tim Wakefield deserves to have his number retired.  Tim Wakefield deserves to retire with his head held high having a very, very good career that would be the envy of many.  Tim Wakefield wins Roberto Clemente awards and seems like a hell of a role model.  Tim Wakefield is not one of the all-time best.  I think Tim Wakefield would agree with me.

He had a few great playoff starts for Pittsburgh, had one Cy Young worthy season in 1995, and has been a reliable pitcher the majority of his career posting an ERA in the mid 4's.  He's mostly been a 3 - 4 starter, a number five starter in his mid 40's, and a closer for a brief period.

I have nothing but respect for Tim Wakefield, but when I think hall of famer, I think Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Pedro Martinez, heck even Phil Neikro, if you catch my drift.  Tim Wakefield falls short of that list.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I catch your drift, but Wake has been to fill more roles than Niekro ever did. Besides, there are guys already in the Cooperstown that are less deserving coughphilrizzutocough.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Man, the Sox destroyed the Jays today 16-4. Those types of games are painful to watch but it's always better when your team is doling out the beatdown.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's an interesting piece on a possible realignment that would send the Astros to the AL. I'm not sure I'd like the idea.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Jim, I have to go with Doug here.  There's a fine line between a player who is so good that everyone knows, loves and respects (i.e. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, etc.) and a player that fans of his team knows, loves and respects.  Tim deserves to have his jersey retired and a place in Red Sox history, no doubt, but is he HOF material?  If he does get a spot, more power to him and I'm all for it, but I really don't think we'll see that.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I don't think we'll see him get in either, but if a scrub like Phil Rizzuto is in Cooperstown then Wakefield definitely deserves to go.

Offline Lefty

Here's an interesting piece on a possible realignment that would send the Astros to the AL. I'm not sure I'd like the idea.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

If MLB does decide to have 15 teams in each league, I would prefer Arizona going to the A.L. West to balance out the number of "late night" teams in each league, and to move Houston to the N.L. West. 

Having 15 teams in one league/division would bring up the unfair scheduling practices again, as in should the Phillies play the Nationals the same number of times as the Dodgers, or having the Red Sox face the Yankees and A's the same number of times, or however many interleague games every team gets to play.

Also, those two-game series that are used to get the season in without starting too early or ending too late (in theory) would have to be scrapped and have the leagues just play three games at a time starting on Thursdays after the All-Star break for 2.5 weeks (this year would have been from July 14th to 31st), followed by a Monday off for every team.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Another day, another ass-kicking of the Blue Jays as the Sox are on their way to win #9 in a row.

The "no divisions" thing is what gets to me too. As a Red Sox fan I like the fact that we play the Yankees more than we play the A's even though the Yankees are a much better team. There's just something about Red Sox/Yankees that cannot be duplicated anywhere in sports. I wouldn't mind an even 15/15 split so much as a more even schedule. Arizona would be a good candidate but I think they would target one of the Central teams because there are six of them. If Houston refuses (and if I were the Astros I would to keep both AL and NL baseball in Texas) I think Milwaukee would be the best choice to go back to the AL. I didn't think they should have switched anyway and having the Red Sox and Yankees come to town every year would do wonders for MLB's smallest market franchise.

I say switch Milwaukee back, move the Royals to the AL West and have the Brewers bring back their 80's uniforms. Arizona or Colorado would be my other two choices for league relocation.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Having done some research Milwaukee actually has decent attendance numbers (avg 33,632 80.3%). The team with the worst attendance in baseball is the Florida Marlins (16,959 44.0%) but the AL already has a Florida team that pulls in shitty attendance numbers in Tampa Bay at #29 (17,954 52.7%). That's for a contending team! MLB would be wise to get those teams to relocate as Florida is a shitty sports state.

Houston, the team they want to move to the AL, is a middle of the pack team (#16 25,367 61.9%). The NL teams between Houston and Florida are San Diego (#17 24,306 56.9%), Cincinnati (#18 24,008 56.7%), Arizona (#19 22,910 47.1%), Washington (#21 21,402 51.6%) and Pittsburgh (#23 20,747   54.1%). You can't move the Reds or Pirates because of they are ancient teams with a long standing NL tradition. San Diego is intriguing and they'd still have two California teams to play in the AL. Angelos in Baltimore would probably shit bricks if the Nats were moved to the AL so avoid that mess. Arizona is looking like a good choice.

So I say either Milwaukee, San Diego or Arizona.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That is an awful idea. You don't want to mess with tradition too much, especially in baseball, and he has just about every team going every which way.

He mentioned Florida as the possible "other team" to move to the AL...please no! It's bad enough we play to near empty crowds in Tampa we don't need to be doing the same in Miami.

Offline Lefty

It's definitely an Error on Eckel, I agree.  On that basis, the NFL should make divisions geographical.  Then again, most of his columns are on football.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I know the guys need a day off here and there but I love when the Sox are playing.

Offline JazzBill

I know the guys need a day off here and there but I love when the Sox are playing.

I guess you would, they're playing some damn good ball.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
They're not getting any breaks tonight. It seems like every time they get something going they ground into a DP and the Rays just scored thanks to two passed balls.