Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191106

Offline Boid Brain

Good grief S#1! That's quite some research you did there. But you missed an important stat. We are only 12 games over .500 because of Tony LaRussa's awful pen management! Franklin with his 9.00 ERA blew 6 saves in April! No other manager would keep trotting a stiff out there like that. Without looking it up, I'm sure we lead all of baseball in blown saves.

Well, that shit is over with as we have a couple of good closer kids now (like 15 and 2)

In review: You and Metal are thinking of the OLD American League. In 2011 the NL is the ASG winner, and the WS Champs. The NL Central has 3 of the top 6 hitting/scoring teams in baseball, and we're on top of that list. [cool]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No, we are talking about today's AL East which is from top to bottom the toughest division in all of baseball.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

No, we are talking about today's AL East which is from top to bottom the toughest division in all of baseball.
A BOLD statement!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The proof is in the standings;it's not a bold statement at all and most would concur with me. You have the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays and both the Blue Jays and Orioles have gotten better. There are no Astros or Pirates or Cubs to beat up on. Like I said the O's are the only team in the division below .500 and at 28-31 they have the best record of any last place team. The separation between first and last is 5.5 games, which is the shortest in MLB. The Cardinals would not have the best record in baseball if they were in the AL East.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I don't claim to be an expert on the NL Central, but I have a basic understanding of the division.  I know the stars and know who the good and bad teams are.  Boid, until recently, you did not know who Jon Lester was.  I think you have no clue how tough the AL East is, which is almost considered by all, not just Yankee and Red Sox fans, the toughest division in baseball.  I'd love to play the Cubs, Pirates, and Astros more than a dozen times a year.  No such luck.

Really Boid, follow the AL East for a while, and then come back to me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

I don't claim to be an expert on the NL Central, but I have a basic understanding of the division.  I know the stars and know who the good and bad teams are.  Boid, until recently, you did not know who Jon Lester was.  I think you have no clue how tough the AL East is, which is almost considered by all, not just Yankee and Red Sox fans, the toughest division in baseball.  I'd love to play the Cubs, Pirates, and Astros more than a dozen times a year.  No such luck.

Really Boid, follow the AL East for a while, and then come back to me.
Well Metal, I see that I would have to pull out volumes of stats to make a good point on this issue. So for the time being I will bow to you.

To be continued....

Offline metaldams

Well Metal, I see that I would have to pull out volumes of stats to make a good point on this issue. So for the time being I will bow to you.

To be continued....

I will eagerly await your stats.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I too would like to see these mystical "stats" that prove the NL Central is somehow tougher than the AL East.

Offline metaldams

Varitek likely catching Wakefield tonight.  Quick, let's get a jet plane for Mirabelli!

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6641921
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Not so fast, once again the Sox pounce on the Skanks early.

Offline Justin T

Yeah, where the hell is he?  He's cool, and we need some Yankee fans to balance this thread out.

Actually I've been visiting the board almost every day Metal, but just haven't felt like posting for months due to
various reasons that I don't want to get into right now.

I've had what's called a busy life for the last few months

I've gone back to school to get a degree in Information Technology, I just finished my first semester
with a 4.0 GPA. Now that I dont have school again until the last week of August, i've been trying to find a job
for the summer with no luck so far. I scored an interview this week but I'm waiting to hear back if I got
the job.

Am I going to complain my Yankees lost to the Sox last night? No.
Lester is a great pitcher and he was in top form last night, and Garcia was not. Nor do I hold any grudge about
what happend to Teixerra, that was a accident and I'm glad nothing got broken.

Shemps, if you want to complain about Jeter leading in the All Star voting go right ahead, did you expect me to
defend it just because i'm a Yankees fan?

I love Derek Jeter, but he is WAY past his prime and the only reason he is getting so many votes is due to his name and
reputation. I would be happy to see someone else start the All Star Game, but this is what you get when you give
fans the power to vote for this stuff.

So yeah, I agree with you that Jeter leading the voting is stupid.

Also, I would also like to see these so called "stats" that shows the NL Central is tougher then the AL East. I believe that
the AL East is the toughest for the same reasons Shemps and Metal already stated.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Actually, knowing how knowledgeable you are about baseball I expected you to say just what you did. Congrats on the degree.

Offline Justin T

Actually, knowing how knowledgeable you are about baseball I expected you to say just what you did. Congrats on the degree.

Thank you. I try my best to not let my fandom blind me to the reality of certain things.

It's a 2 year degree, so I have 3 semesters left to go. I'm happy to be off to a great start.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline Justin T

Yikes, its 7 to 1 and its only the 4th inning. Looks to be another long night.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I find that one of these teams dominate the pre All-Star battles then the other usually dominates the post All-Star battles and it all evens out in the end so you have that to look forward to.

Offline Justin T

I find that one of these teams dominate the pre All-Star battles then the other usually dominates the post All-Star battles and it all evens out in the end so you have that to look forward to.

That is true, I'm not worried about things right now. The season is long, you never know whats going
to happen until it happens.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm surprised more teams haven't been able to exploit the Yanks terrible pitching....OUCH for Cervelli! No little Cervelli's for awhile.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's almost too bad I banned Boid, Bud Norris of the Astros has no-hit the Cards through 6.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Berkman ends the no-no bid and shutout with a solo homer after 6.2 innings. That sucks for Norris.

Offline metaldams

Justin, great to see you, and glad things are going well with the degree.  4.0, huh?  That's awesome, shows you belong there.

Boston normally dominates the first half and the Yankees the second half.  Two years ago Boston started out the season series 8 - 0 and it ended up 9 - 9.  The difference is this year we're winning games in Yankee stadium and frankly, I think we have the best Red sox team since 2007 right now.  Adrian Gonzalez even drives in 2 runs on a night where he doesn't have a hit.  He's a beast.

I'm telling you, Alfredo Aceves is so valuable.  I thought he was a huge reason why the Yankees won in 2009 and nobody ever gave him his due.  10 wins in the bullpen?  I know wins is not always the best way to judge a pitcher, but in his case it always shows he kept his team in the game and ate lots of innings.  That's twice he saved the bullpen, and he can spot start.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Luckily we are deep in regards to middle infielders that can get the job done. Nonetheless it still sucks to lose Pedroia for a month (if he needs the surgery).

Offline metaldams

Luckily we are deep in regards to middle infielders that can get the job done. Nonetheless it still sucks to lose Pedroia for a month (if he needs the surgery).

Yeah, it's good to have Lowrie, no doubt, but I wish Pedroia was healthy.  I hope he comes back strong, he's too valuable to this team.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He certainly is, but Lowrie can do it in the meantime and Sutton is a capable back up.

Offline Justin T

Justin, great to see you, and glad things are going well with the degree.  4.0, huh?  That's awesome, shows you belong there.

Boston normally dominates the first half and the Yankees the second half.  Two years ago Boston started out the season series 8 - 0 and it ended up 9 - 9.  The difference is this year we're winning games in Yankee stadium and frankly, I think we have the best Red sox team since 2007 right now.  Adrian Gonzalez even drives in 2 runs on a night where he doesn't have a hit.  He's a beast.

I'm telling you, Alfredo Aceves is so valuable.  I thought he was a huge reason why the Yankees won in 2009 and nobody ever gave him his due.  10 wins in the bullpen?  I know wins is not always the best way to judge a pitcher, but in his case it always shows he kept his team in the game and ate lots of innings.  That's twice he saved the bullpen, and he can spot start.

Thanks Metal, I hope I can stay close to that level all the way through.

Yeah, 2009 was interesting all right. After the All Star Break it was like a switch was flipped and we ended up winning the World Series.
Aceves was one of the key reasons, I agree,  he was a great assest to the bullpen that year. I hated it when we let him go after last season.
I miss having him.

This Red Sox team is easily the best you've had since you guys last won the Series in 2007. Your lineup is loaded and your pitching has come
together after the very slow start. It's going to be a dogfight all year in the Al East like it usually is.

Yankees lineup while older, still has the power. The ammount of home runs that they have hit so far is great but like others have said you
also have to play little ball along with the long ball. Our pitching is the big concern. CC is great as usual, and despite last night AJ
has been pitching alot better than he did last year. Colon has been a fantastic pickup, but can he keep pitching like this all year? The
big question marks are Garcia and Nova. Hughes wont be back anytime soon either. I wonder if we will try and trade for a pitcher before
the trade deadline.

Pitching duel tonight, CC vs Becket. We'll see if the Yanks can avoid a sweep.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"