The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191087

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
...and about a minute after I hit send the Skanks intentionally walk Gonzalez and pull Garcia. I predict a 20-10 score.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Lester's having his normal April in May and early June.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Jenks looks like he threw out his back on that last pitch. I know how that feels, and it's not fun.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Lester does get a "quality start," but he seemed to get behind way too many hitters tonight and a lot of baserunners.  Still, the bottom line is passable.

Jenks is hurt again, but Albers did the job.  Let's hope Bard and Paps can save this thing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, this Noesi kid has poise.  He made his debut pitching 4 innings in an extra inning game against the O's and got a win and has done a good job tonight.  It sucks, but he saved the Yanks bullpen tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What sucks is that guys like A-Roid and Teixeira are leading vote getters at their positions for the All-Star Game when they shouldn't be on the team at all. I really think they should do away with fan voting.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Shit, how can I overlook Old Man Jeter leading the shortstop voting? Really? Derek Jeter? Give me a fucking break!

Offline metaldams

What sucks is that guys like A-Roid and Teixeira are leading vote getters at their positions for the All-Star Game when they shouldn't be on the team at all. I really think they should do away with fan voting.

Agree, it's disgraceful.  Isn't Joe Mauer among the top in catchers?  Hasn't he been on the DL the majority of the season?

You know, when I was 13 years old in 1992, Wade Boggs was my hero, but he was also having an off year.  Even at that young age, I had the sense to know Kelly Gruber of Toronto deseved it more than Boggs.  If a 13 year old kid can figure these things out, why can't rational adults?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Mauer is second to Russel Martin, who doesn't deserve to be a starter either. It should Avila in Detroit, who is having the best season for a catcher in the AL by far. Mooks should not be allowed to be near a computer, nevermind vote for All-Stars.

Derek Jeter, coming into today with a .260 BA, 2 HR and 16 RBI does not deserve to be near the All-Star Game. If he starts ahead of the much more deserving Astrubal Cabrera (or even Jed Lowrie) I will boycott the game.

Offline metaldams

Always has to be drama with Papelbon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well he just told Granderson to sit the fuck down.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My MLB.TV off the PS3 seems to be running behind as I check ESPN.com...

Offline metaldams

You know one shitty thing about closer ERA's?  The whole defensive indifference thing.  The only reason why Papelbon gave up a run that inning was because Gardner took second and scored a run that didn't matter.  Any other inning, he would've stranded men on 1st and 2nd and gave up no runs.  Oh well, he got the save, the most important stat for him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah that does suck for Papelbon but overall it's not a big deal. The most important stat is a win and the Sox got that tonight. Too bad Justin T isn't around so I can bitch him about a certain decrepit SS leading the All Star voting. I really hope the voting evens out soon because it looks now would be disgraceful.

Offline metaldams

Too bad Justin T isn't around so I can bitch him about a certain decrepit SS leading the All Star voting. I really hope the voting evens out soon because it looks now would be disgraceful.

Yeah, where the hell is he?  He's cool, and we need some Yankee fans to balance this thread out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Yeah that does suck for Papelbon but overall it's not a big deal.

Try telling that to him and his agent in a few months.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Pujols is batting. 269 with 7 HR and 24 RBI.  Since the seasons a quarter over, he's on pace to hit 28 HR and 96 RBI.  A step down for Pujols, but still a very productibe middle of the line up hitter.

A couple of seasons ago, David Ortiz, who is older than Pujols and not quite as good a hitter, had a MUCH worse slump than Pujols ever imagined.  In 2009, he did not hit his first home run until the middle of May, yet he somehow rebounded.  Ortiz also had an unbelievably awful start to 2010, he rebounded again, and this year, at age 35, he's fine.  If Ortiz can rebound, something tells me Albert Pujols will be just fine.  All players go through dry spells.  Heck, Wade Boggs hit .259 in 1992 and then rebounded to his normal self.  Pujols is 31 and has way too much talent, he'll be fine.

Even Lance Berkman, the new Cardinal god, had a struggle recently until this year.  I wouldn't give up on Pujols yet.
Here a month later you are proving to be right about Albert. He has gradually gotten better over the last 3 weeks and in the last week has really busted out. You know what the problem was? The guy was not in baseball shape! He has been wearing a huge baggy uni to hide the fat, but has played himself back to form. But I, along with many St. Louisans are still pissed that he refused to sign his contract.

And here a month later I am proving to be correct that the Cards will be the cream of the NL. As I type we have the best record in baseball, 1 game better than the mighty Phils. And this with Wainwright out for the season, and Carpenter 1 and 5 so far. Our .350 hitting 3rd baseman still on the DL, our 3rd starter now on the DL and Matt Holliday on and off of the DL.

I'm really hoping the Yanks/Sawx win it and we meet up in October. ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm still locking in the Phillies in the NL. Even if the Cards do finish with a better record they still can't match up to Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels. I also think that the Yankees or Red Sox (who play in a MUCH tougher division than St. Louis) would beat the crap out of and probably sweep the Cards like the Sox did in '04.

Offline Boid Brain

I'm still locking in the Phillies in the NL. Even if the Cards do finish with a better record they still can't match up to Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels. I also think that the Yankees or Red Sox (who play in a MUCH tougher division than St. Louis) would beat the crap out of and probably sweep the Cards like the Sox did in '04.
We have not faced Halladay yet, but beat Lee, Oswalt and Hamels! In the same time frame we also beat Josh Hamilton and Lincecum. Furthermore we have pounded on the elite relievers around the league for the last month. And last I checked we are still the top hitting team in baseball.

You really don't wanna see us in October. ;)

Offline metaldams

Here a month later you are proving to be right about Albert. He has gradually gotten better over the last 3 weeks and in the last week has really busted out. You know what the problem was? The guy was not in baseball shape! He has been wearing a huge baggy uni to hide the fat, but has played himself back to form. But I, along with many St. Louisans are still pissed that he refused to sign his contract.

And here a month later I am proving to be correct that the Cards will be the cream of the NL. As I type we have the best record in baseball, 1 game better than the mighty Phils. And this with Wainwright out for the season, and Carpenter 1 and 5 so far. Our .350 hitting 3rd baseman still on the DL, our 3rd starter now on the DL and Matt Holliday on and off of the DL.

I'm really hoping the Yanks/Sawx win it and we meet up in October. ;)

Pujols had two walk offs in a row, he's a monster.  Of course he'll go through a relative dry spell on occasion, but there's no way a guy with his talent and at his age will decline if healthy.

The Cards are a good team, I won't take that away from them, I just don't think they'll win the World Series.  Then again, I thought they were a dead team walking in '06, so anything's possible.  It's cool you guys have the best record, but it's early June and Jim's right, the NL Central is a weaker division than most others.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

We have not faced Halladay yet, but beat Lee, Oswalt and Hamels! In the same time frame we also beat Josh Hamilton and Lincecum. Furthermore we have pounded on the elite relievers around the league for the last month. And last I checked we are still the top hitting team in baseball.

You really don't wanna see us in October. ;)

I'm assuming you mean Josh Johnson?  Josh Hamilton's a great ball player, but I don't think pitching is on his resume.   ;)

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

I'm assuming you mean Josh Johnson?  Josh Hamilton's a great ball player, but I don't think pitching is on his resume.   ;)

Yep...that's the Josh

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here we go:

1. Josh Hamilton, an OF for the Texas Rangers, has not pitched against the Cardinals or anyone else.

2. Cole Hamels has yet to pitch against St. Louis this year. His only two loses are against the Mets and Braves.

3. The Cardinals did win when Oswalt pitched against them, but did not tag him with the loss. The score was 2-1.

4. They did beat Cliff Lee, but 3 runs on 6 hits over 6.1 innings is a quality start. The only two terrible games he's had is against the Braves early in the season and the Nationals on Memorial Day. Jake Westbrook had his second best start of the season that day (7.0 IP 1 ER 4 H). Overall Westbrook is 6-3 with a 5.01 ERA. A pitcher's ERA is his most important stat and that ERA is high.

5. The Cardinals did rough up Lincecum, but the Giants won that game 7-5 in 11 innings (6/1).

The St. Louis Cardinals Starting Rotation as of 6/8:

Chris Carpenter 1-5 4.25 (about an average ERA, the record is probably due to no run support as evident when he went 9 innings against the Cubs on Sunday and the Cards needed 10 to win 3-2).

Jake Westbrook 6-3 5.01 (high ERA, gets a lot of run support with that record).

Jaime Garcia 6-1 3.05 (impressive kid, ERA would be lower if not for one bad start against the Rockies. It remains to be seen if he can be an elite guy...he is only 24 after all).

Kyle Lohse 7-2 2.41 (obviously an aberration of a season for this guy; he's mostly been garbage throughout his career).

Kyle McClellan (DL) 6-2 3.86 (first year in the rotation, again it remains to be seen if he can be an elite guy...hopefully he comes back sooner than later).

Philadelphia Phillies Rotation as of 6/8:

Roy Halladay 8-3 2.56 (has only gone less than 7 IP in a game twice this year and never less than 6. Only bad game was against the Brewers in April. Better than anybody in the STL rotation and the best pitcher in baseball).

Cliff Lee 5-5 3.62 (low ERA and a proven commodity, especially come playoff time...would be the ace of the Cards rotation).

Cole Hamels 7-2 2.83 (one bad start the entire year, very low ERA and a proven commodity who would probably be the ace of the Cards rotation).

Roy Oswalt 3-4 3.05 (very low ERA indicates he gets very little run support to have a 3-4 record. Another proven commodity that would be the ace of the Cardinals rotation).

Joe Blanton (DL) 1-2 5.50 (obviously the weak link and this is an off season for him so far. The puffy ERA is more than a run higher than his career average).

Great pitching will beat great hitting 9 out of 10 times, especially come playoff time. The Cardinals do have some intriguing youngsters in the rotation but the Phillies have a Dream Team and I would put my money on the Phillies. Besides, it's not like the Cardinals are tearing shit up; they are 12 games above .500 and Milwaukee is only 2.5 games behind them. Before you buy those World Series tickets make sure St. Louis wins the division first. Also remember that the Red Sox and Yankees play each other and Tampa Bay 18 games each, not to mention that Toronto and Baltimore are no push-overs. The Orioles are in last place in the AL East at just 3 games under .500.

Let's say somehow St. Louis made it the World Series. I doubt it but let's just say they did. If I were you I would be hoping that the AL team was not the Red Sox or Yankees. I don't think those youngsters would fare well at Fenway or the Outhouse That Steinbrenner Built facing those lineups, never-mind Kyle Lohse or the overrated Chris Carpenter. If it were Red Sox/Cardinals the first thing that would come to my mind is "we lucked out and didn't get the Phillies" and the second thing would be "the Red Sox are going to sweep them again".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yep...that's the Josh

Okay, they did beat Josh Johnson.