Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191116

Offline metaldams

Chicago sweeps the Red Sox in their park, outscores them 24 to 14, gets a 2 run homer off their closer and helps knock them out of 1st place. Chicago has beaten Boston 13 out of the last 15 games they have played at Fenway. Not too bad for a terrible baseball team. I'm glad we don't have to play in the AL East but I wouldn't mind if they built a replica of Fenway here on the south side.  :laugh:

Some teams and players match up well against other teams for reasons that are beyond belief.  Light hitting Mark Ellis of the A's?  He'd be AL MVP if he faced Boston 162 times a year.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Eh, those idiots got lucky, that's all. The ChiSox and Cubs are terrible; in fact I think the ChiSox should be forced to wear those ghastly uniforms from the 80's.

When I was a kid, back in the good old 80's, that old White Sox logo with the Atari looking baseball player was on a pair of wristbands (!) that I owned.  Don't ask me how I got White Sox wristbands, but man I wish I still had those things.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Look at those beauties...or how about the bermuda shorts from 76?

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

Luck is when you find a $20.00 bill on the ground not when you beat a team 3 games in a row. You're right though, the White Sox aren't real good. Now they'll probably go to Detroit and get knocked around in the next series. I don't get too many chances to cheer for my team so when I get them I use them. I'm sure you guy's enjoyed the nice comeback after that lousy start the Red Sox had.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I dunno Bill, if they started rocking the 80's jerseys WITH the 76 bermuda shorts they'd win over 100 games and sweep their way through the World Series (while everyone else was busy laughing).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Luck is when you find a $20.00 bill on the ground not when you beat a team 3 games in a row.

Luck is also avoiding avoiding Beckett and Buchholz and facing Lester when he's going through a bad spell.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Luck is also avoiding avoiding Beckett and Buchholz and facing Lester when he's going through a bad spell.

A double avoidance is lucky. I want to petition MLB to force the White Sox to wear the 80's jerseys and caps and the bermuda shorts with numbers on them like the 80's pants. Then we can have a World Series rematch against the Astros but they have to wear their 80's uniforms too.

Offline metaldams

My "favorite" old school uniform.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Look at those beauties...or how about the bermuda shorts from 76?

I believe these uniforms came out when Bill Veeck owned the Sox. If you're not familiar with Bill Veeck, he once hired a midget for one day and used him as a pinch hitter.

Offline JazzBill

You guy's are killing me. You just can't come out and say it. OK Bill, just for this series, just this week, Chicago was the better team.   LOL

Offline metaldams

You guy's are killing me. You just can't come out and say it. OK Bill, just for this series, just this week, Chicago was the better team.   LOL

They were better the last three games.  I don't deny that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At least my team never had to wear hideous uniforms...

Offline metaldams

If you're not familiar with Bill Veeck, he once hired a midget for one day and used him as a pinch hitter.

No denying the Red Sox have a better midget, and please don't say otherwise.  Your midget just walked on four pitches and was never seen again.  Our midget has been playing second base for years and won an MVP.  ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

You guys hear Dice-K might be getting Tommy John surgery?  That would end his Red Sox career and can only mean one thing.  He'll have some new revolutionary version of it and come back as a Cy Young winner for The Yankees.  Fuck Bartolo Colon!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Sports Illustrated polled 185 MLB players asking them who they thought the most overrated player in MLB was. The Yankees had the top 3 spots and 5 of the top 9, while the Red Sox and Rays had 3 each (including retired Manny Ramirez) bringing the AL East total to 11 out of 16 spots.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/mlb-players-poll-most-overrated-player/content.1.html

Offline metaldams

Sports Illustrated polled 185 MLB players asking them who they thought the most overrated player in MLB was. The Yankees had the top 3 spots and 5 of the top 9, while the Red Sox and Rays had 3 each (including retired Manny Ramirez) bringing the AL East total to 11 out of 16 spots.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/mlb-players-poll-most-overrated-player/content.1.html

No way Evan Longoria belongs on that list, I think he's for real.  No way J.D. Drew belongs on that list, because I don't know anybody who rates him highly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Shee-it! I actually watched all 14 innings of today's game despite having things to do. In fact I was going to consign myself with the fact that I might have to miss the finale and leave after the 14th until Drew got the winning hit. An exciting game helped by a key error and really bad umpiring.

Offline metaldams

Shee-it! I actually watched all 14 innings of today's game despite having things to do. In fact I was going to consign myself with the fact that I might have to miss the finale and leave after the 14th until Drew got the winning hit. An exciting game helped by a key error and really bad umpiring.

Pedroia's been struggling this year, and I'm not 100% sure he's really all healed from that injury last season.  He'll be fine in the long run, but that error almost cost us.  I didn't actually see the game, so I can't comment on the strike zone, but it's telling both Papelbon and Varitek get thrown out for arguing the same thing.

Nice job by Drew today.  I'm normally not his biggest fan in the regular season (he's different in the playoffs), but he came through for the Sox today.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....and by the way, a little birdie once told me Pujols was unclutch.   ;D

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_06_04_chnmlb_slnmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=stl

The only thing that's down for him is his batting average, as .275 is low for him.  12 HR, 37 RBI's, he's fine.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It all started when the ump was obviously squeezing Papelbon, not giving him calls high in the strike zone and Tek got pissed and got in face and was booted. He finally did give him one and Papelbon gave him a perplexed look like "finally after they have scored four runs and tied the game you are going to call that a strike?" The umpire, probably suffering from penis envy, decided to get out from behind Salty and yell at Paps, so Paps came off the mound and got in Randazzo's face and got tossed as well. Randazzo was clearly the aggressor in the Papelbon situation and should really be admonished for his behavior and hopefully fired. He is a terrible umpire and has no business calling Little League games, never mind MLB games.

Offline metaldams

Jim, do you know a way I can get a gameday type strike zone location for the 9th inning at bats?  I know how to view that stuff during the game, but am having trouble finding it after the game.  I'd love to see where those pitches were.

Never mind, just found it. I'll have to check this out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Good start for Lackey upon his return from the DL. He was taken out a bit earlier than I would have liked but I understand they don't want to rush him right away. I hope the bullpen has enough left in the tank to keep the lead.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
...and the bullpen holds up well for a sweep of the A's.

Offline metaldams

Wheeler and Jenks have also looked better coming off the DL, which is a great sign.  Hottovy is also going to go down in history as the David DeJesus killer.

....and how bout that washed up Pujols again?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It looks like today's game is going to go on for 6 hours the way these two pitchers are throwing. Yeesh!