Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191132

Offline metaldams

Nice job by the oldest player in baseball and A-God tonight. Wake gave the team just what they needed; a strong performance from one of the spot starters.

Fixed that for you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Can you name this very famous young man that signed a Cardinal contract the same day as Kieth Hernandez?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would have gotten that even if you didn't leave the person's name in the file name again. I just read an article about Savage's baseball days that had that exact same picture.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Yep, I suck at pics...but ain't something that Hernandez has been retired from a pastoral sport for 20 years and Randy kept banging in rasslin' all these years?

They say he had a heart attack and that's why he crash his car. Steroid induced I have to wonder.

Offline Lefty

They say he had a heart attack and that's why he crash his car. Steroid induced I have to wonder.

That may explain why 13 participants of Wrestlemania VII in 1991 are dead, not including the natural-causes deaths of broadcasters Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes, plus Monsoon's son Joey Marella from a car crash after falling asleep while driving following a card on the East Coast in 1994.  Yet everyone from the 1991 Super Bowl (Wide Right) are still alive.  They must have used better steroids.

Offline metaldams

That may explain why 13 participants of Wrestlemania VII in 1991 are dead, not including the natural-causes deaths of broadcasters Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes, plus Monsoon's son Joey Marella from a car crash after falling asleep while driving following a card on the East Coast in 1994.  Yet everyone from the 1991 Super Bowl (Wide Right) are still alive.  They must have used better steroids.

I'm just going to copy and paste the match results from WIKI and bold the dead ones.  We won't count the dark match or managers, only wrestlers.  Dead ones in bold.

1 The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty) defeated The Barbarian and Haku (with Bobby Heenan) Tag team match 10:41
2 The Texas Tornado defeated Dino Bravo (with Jimmy Hart) Singles match 03:11
3 The British Bulldog defeated The Warlord (with Slick) Singles match 08:15
4 The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs and Jerry Sags) (with Jimmy Hart) defeated The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) (c) Tag team match for the WWF Tag Team Championship 12:10
5 Jake Roberts defeated Rick Martel Blindfold match 08:34
6 The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) defeated Jimmy Snuka Singles match 04:20
7 The Ultimate Warrior defeated Randy Savage (with Sensational Queen Sherri) Retirement match 20:48
8 Tenryu and Kitao defeated Demolition (Crush and Smash) (with Mr. Fuji) Tag team match 04:44
9 The Big Boss Man defeated Mr. Perfect (c) (with Bobby Heenan) by disqualification Singles match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship 10:47
10 Earthquake (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Greg Valentine Singles match 03:14
11 The Legion of Doom (Hawk and Animal) defeated Power and Glory (Paul Roma and Hercules) (with Slick) Tag team match 00:59
12 Virgil (with Roddy Piper) defeated Ted DiBiase by countout Singles match 07:41
13 The Mountie (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Tito Santana Singles match 01:21
14 Hulk Hogan defeated Sgt. Slaughter (c) (with General Adnan) Singles match for the WWF Championship 20:26

By my count, that's 38 wrestlers, ten dead, which makes 26%!  The card is 20 years old, so you figure some would be dead, but 26% is a lot!

TEXAS TORNADO - Age 33 suicide
DINO BRAVO - Age 44 murdered
BRITISH BULLDOG - Age 39 Heart attack
RANDY SAVAGE - Age 58 - Car accident
CRUSH - Age 44 Heart attack (drugs?)
BIG BOSS MAN - Age 41 Heart Attack
MR. PERFECT - Age 43 Cocaine induced heart attack
EARTHQUAKE - Age 42 Cancer
HAWK - Age 46 Heart Attack
HERCULES - Age 47 Heart Attack
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Randy had a heart attack which caused the accident and there is speculation that it was the heart attack that killed him and not the accident.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Randy had a heart attack which caused the accident and there is speculation that it was the heart attack that killed him and not the accident.

I thought the heart attack was survivable but the car accident is what actually killed him.  I could be wrong, but he's dead either way, sadly.

Before checking the Boston score today, I was seriously thinking I'd like an easy game for once and I hope we score 8 runs in the first inning.  Well, Boston disappointed me, they only scored 7.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well this game is downright ugly; at least Boston is on the good end.

I filled out my All-Star Game Ballot today:

First Base:
Adrian Gonzales (BOS) AL, Joey Votto (CIN) NL

Second Base:
Howie Kendrick (LAA) AL, Rickie Weeks (MIL) NL

Shortstop:
Asdrubal Cabrera (CLE) AL, Troy Tulowitzki (COL) NL

Third Base:
Adrian Beltre (TEX) AL, Placido Polanco (PHI) NL

Catcher:
Alex Avila (DET) AL, Jonathan Lucroy (MIL) NL

Designated Hitter:
David Ortiz (BOS) AL, N/A NL

Outfielders:
Jose Bautista (TOR) Jacoby Ellsbury (BOS) Curtis Granderson (NYY) AL (yuck on that last pick)
Lance Berkman (STL) Andre Ethier (LAD) Ryan Braun (MIL) NL

I was real close to writing in Jed Lowrie (BOS) for SS in the AL and picking Yadier Molina (STL) for C in NL.

Offline Lefty

While I was listening to the radio on the way home today, the announcer doing the sports said, "Boston got by Cleveland 14-2."  Gee (not Dillon of the Mets), what would the score would have had to be for him to say, "Boston pounded Cleveland"?   :o

Offline metaldams

Well this game is downright ugly; at least Boston is on the good end.

I filled out my All-Star Game Ballot today:

First Base:
Adrian Gonzales (BOS) AL, Joey Votto (CIN) NL

Second Base:
Howie Kendrick (LAA) AL, Rickie Weeks (MIL) NL

Shortstop:
Asdrubal Cabrera (CLE) AL, Troy Tulowitzki (COL) NL

Third Base:
Adrian Beltre (TEX) AL, Placido Polanco (PHI) NL

Catcher:
Alex Avila (DET) AL, Jonathan Lucroy (MIL) NL

Designated Hitter:
David Ortiz (BOS) AL, N/A NL

Outfielders:
Jose Bautista (TOR) Jacoby Ellsbury (BOS) Curtis Granderson (NYY) AL (yuck on that last pick)
Lance Berkman (STL) Andre Ethier (LAD) Ryan Braun (MIL) NL

I was real close to writing in Jed Lowrie (BOS) for SS in the AL and picking Yadier Molina (STL) for C in NL.

Nothing against your picks, Jim, but if I did vote for the all star game, I would wait to the deadline gets closer so the stats pad out a bit more.

That said, the all-star voting in general is a joke. It's a popularity contest.  I remember a few years ago Julio Lugo was placing in the top 5 for SS votes simply because he was a Red Sox the pink hat fans voted for him, never mind that he's awful.

Derek Jeter, a first ballot hall of famer past his prime, will garner millions of votes because of his popularity and past accomplishments, nevermind that he's now mediocre.  Your votes were thoughtful, but since anybody can vote, thoughtful picks are few and far between.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I usually vote in early-mid June but voted early this year. I was looking over the stats and already there were a bunch of standout stars.

I know that most of the people I voted for will probably not get in but they should. Astrubal Cabrera deserves it far more than Jeter, in fact I found that the only Yankee who was truly deserving was Granderson and maybe Russell Martin, but we'll probably see Jeter and A-Roid get voted in along with Cano (even though Kendrick has been far better for the Angels).

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Sox offensive seems to be doing alright for itself the past couple of games.

Offline metaldams

The Sox offensive seems to be doing alright for itself the past couple of games.

I just read it was the 1st time they scored 14 runs in consecutive games since 1998.  Yeah, they're definitely on a roll.  Yesterday we destroyed a guy coming off the DL, but today was against Max Scherzer, a good young pitcher having a great year.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Boston sure made a hell of a comeback from that awful start they had. I believe as of right now they're tied with the Yankee's.  :o
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Boston sure made a hell of a comeback from that awful start they had. I believe as of right now they're tied with the Yankee's.  :o

Yeah, they're finally starting to gel, praise Allah.  Jazz, I forget, are you a White Sox or Cubs fan?

By the way, you guys hear about Buster Posey?  He took a nasty hit at home plate and might be out the entire season.  What a shame, you hate to see that happen to anybody, but especially such a young player with his potential.  I hope he rebounds.  
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Yeah, they're finally starting to gel, praise Allah.  Jazz, I forget, are you a White Sox or Cubs fan?

By the way, you guys hear about Buster Posey?  He took a nasty hit at home plate and might be out the entire season.  What a shame, you hate to see that happen to anybody, but especially such a young player with his potential.  I hope he rebounds.  

I'm from the south side so that makes me a White Sox fan. But unlike most people here I don't hate the other side. I figure it's still a Chicago team. Between the Posey collision or Marlon Byrd getting hit in the face by a pitch, it's hard to figure out which one is more gruesome.

Offline metaldams

I'm from the south side so that makes me a White Sox fan. But unlike most people here I don't hate the other side. I figure it's still a Chicago team. 

I know you guys are having a rough season, but when you guys beat the Yankees this year with those two awesome catches by Lillibridge in Yankee Stadium, I absolutely loved that.  One of the best endings of a baseball game I've ever seen.

Even though he's an an acquired taste, I happen to love Ozzie Guillen.  You always know where he stands and he's incredibly entertaining. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

The Red Sox, White Sox game just started. The White Sox are playing like crap, so this will probably be a good series for Boston. I'll say one thing, when it comes to baseball parks you can't beat Fenway and Wrigley.

Offline JazzBill

Chicago just finished beating Boston. Lester looked like shit, what a surprise. He came in at 7-1.

Offline metaldams

Chicago just finished beating Boston. Lester looked like shit, what a surprise. He came in at 7-1.

Lester is great overall, but he's looked like shit four out of his last five starts.  I was screaming at Francona to take him out in the 6th, and he finally did, when it was too late.  He threw what, 127 pitches?  Francona is great in a lot of ways, but he's terrible in managing a bullepen and pulling his starters.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'd still rather have Tito than that piece of shit press hog they have on the South Side. A good manager/coach in sports knows it's about his team and not himself. That's main problem with guys like Ozzie Guillen and Rex Ryan of the NY Jets in football, they always want the spotlight. Add to that the fact that the ChiSox are terrible and the future does not look bright in US Cellular Field. With their win today the White Sox are 6 games below .500, same as the Cubs, and in an overall weak division. If they were in the AL East their record would look more like Minnesota's does at the moment.

Offline metaldams

I'd still rather have Tito than that piece of shit press hog they have on the South Side. A good manager/coach in sports knows it's about his team and not himself. That's main problem with guys like Ozzie Guillen and Rex Ryan of the NY Jets in football, they always want the spotlight. Add to that the fact that the ChiSox are terrible and the future does not look bright in US Cellular Field. With their win today the White Sox are 6 games below .500, same as the Cubs, and in an overall weak division. If they were in the AL East their record would look more like Minnesota's does at the moment.

I like Tito overall.  I think he handles the Boston press well and the players seem to back him, and both things are extremely important.  I still think he's bad at handling a bullpen and pulling starters.

Ozzie Guillen is entertaining as hell, but I say that as an outsider.  I may feel differently if I were a White Sox fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Chicago sweeps the Red Sox in their park, outscores them 24 to 14, gets a 2 run homer off their closer and helps knock them out of 1st place. Chicago has beaten Boston 13 out of the last 15 games they have played at Fenway. Not too bad for a terrible baseball team. I'm glad we don't have to play in the AL East but I wouldn't mind if they built a replica of Fenway here on the south side.  :laugh:

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Eh, those idiots got lucky, that's all. The ChiSox and Cubs are terrible; in fact I think the ChiSox should be forced to wear those ghastly uniforms from the 80's.