The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 190958

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I can finally watch MLB.tv on my PS3 again so I am watching the Reds and Cards. I can see the Reds making the NLCS if they don't get the Phillies in the first round.

Even though the Sox haven't reached .500 this season it's amazing they are still only 4 games out of first. In fact the difference between first and last in the AL East is 4.5 games. It's only a matter of time before they break though and never look back.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Lester was horrendous the first two innings, but he's settled after that.  5 - 4 Boston after 5 as I type this, let's hope they can hold on and add.

Anybody want to play any drinking games everytime they mention Posada?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Not a pretty game on either side, but Boston won and finally reached .500.  Gotta keep it up, but sweeping the Yankees in Yankee Stadium is always a beautiful thing, albeit all too rare.  The AL East is going to be good this year, and how about Bautista today?  Three home runs in one day, the guy's on fire.

Boid, have The Reds taken over The Cubs as your arch rival?  It seems like both teams are now at each other's throat every time they meet.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I love making a scene at the gym on the bike machines every time the Sox hit a home run, just like Papi did last night.  8)
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

I love making a scene at the gym on the bike machines every time the Sox hit a home run, just like Papi did last night.  8)

Nevermind that, as great as it was (broken bat home runs are rare).  Did you see the comeback Boston pulled off tonight?  Down 6 - 0 in the bottom of the 6th and we win it in the 9th 8 - 7 on an Adrian Gonzalez 2 run double.  Awesome.  Boston really needed a late inning come from behind win, their first all season.

.....and I hate to say it, but the formula we used tonight was the 2009 Yankee model.  Throw Aceves in there for long relief, he'll keep us in the game, and the offense will give him the win.  That guy won 10 games in relief for the Yanks that year, unheard of.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Good for Berkman, he has surprised me, as he looked completely lost on the Yankees last year.  He deserves NL comeback player of the year if he can keep this up.

I still say Pujols will end the year with better numbers, but even if I'm wrong, Pujols is still the better player in the overall scheme of things.  I admire Pujols and I'm a Red Sox fan.  I'm shocked you as a Cardinal fan don't respect the guy more.
Metal, you again expose yourself as an AL fan ignorant of the senior circuit...I respected the guy plenty in his 1st 9 years, then after A Rod and Manny and Ortiz were exposed as cheaters MLB decided to make Albert the face of baseball...he has dropped like a stone since then, believing his own press.

He had to get off of HGH when they found a way to detect it. He has been shit ever since. He leads the NL in only 2 catagories: most GIDP and errors for a 1st baseman. He is batting .240.

Forget about this old, fat turd!...On another note I see that the Sox will play the Cubs for the 1st time in 90 years at Fenway on Friday! I will watch that game! Last comment: checked the standings and Boston is back to .500! And the mighty Yanks tanking! I love it!

Offline metaldams

Metal, you again expose yourself as an AL fan ignorant of the senior circuit...I respected the guy plenty in his 1st 9 years, then after A Rod and Manny and Ortiz were exposed as cheaters MLB decided to make Albert the face of baseball...he has dropped like a stone since then, believing his own press.

I am not ignorant of the NL and I'm much more aware of it then you are the AL.  I realize Pujols is having a bad year so far by his standards (he'll still going to hit 30 HRS and drive in 100), I just think you're giving up on the guy too quickly.  All good players go through slumps or even have bad years, it happens.  I realize Lance Berkman is having a better year than Pujols, I'm not ignorant to the fact at all.  I also realize it's just May and things have a tendency to balance out.

As far as Pujols and steroids, you may be right, but we have no way of proving it either way, so a debate would be pointless.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

I am not ignorant of the NL and I'm much more aware of it then you are the AL.  I realize Pujols is having a bad year so far by his standards (he'll still going to hit 30 HRS and drive in 100), I just think you're giving up on the guy too quickly.  All good players go through slumps or even have bad years, it happens.  I realize Lance Berkman is having a better year than Pujols, I'm not ignorant to the fact at all.  I also realize it's just May and things have a tendency to balance out.

As far as Pujols and steroids, you may be right, but we have no way of proving it either way, so a debate would be pointless.

You are 100% correct that I know nothing of the AL except the standings, so I won't presume to go there. However, you don't see Albert every day as I have for 10 years. His declined started last year, where he was totally useless after the 7th inning.

He had not even ONE GWH all year and has none this year so far. He was batting .286 with 2 weeks left in the season, and he battled to get back over .300 as he batted against rookies brought up to pitch in unimportant games by 2nd division teams. He finished 25 points below his career ave.

BTW, tonite he came up with men in scoring position 3 times with no RBI, and Berkman won the game with a walk off. Albert's 13 GIDP is the worst for a Card hitter since the 40's at this point in the season. He still leads the league in errors for a 1st baseman. You MUST be getting the picture Metal!

Offline metaldams

You are 100% correct that I know nothing of the AL except the standings, so I won't presume to go there. However, you don't see Albert every day as I have for 10 years. His declined started last year, where he was totally useless after the 7th inning.

He had not even ONE GWH all year and has none this year so far. He was batting .286 with 2 weeks left in the season, and he battled to get back over .300 as he batted against rookies brought up to pitch in unimportant games by 2nd division teams. He finished 25 points below his career ave.

BTW, tonite he came up with men in scoring position 3 times with no RBI, and Berkman won the game with a walk off. Albert's 13 GIDP is the worst for a Card hitter since the 40's at this point in the season. He still leads the league in errors for a 1st baseman. You MUST be getting the picture Metal!

Pujols is batting. 269 with 7 HR and 24 RBI.  Since the seasons a quarter over, he's on pace to hit 28 HR and 96 RBI.  A step down for Pujols, but still a very productibe middle of the line up hitter.

A couple of seasons ago, David Ortiz, who is older than Pujols and not quite as good a hitter, had a MUCH worse slump than Pujols ever imagined.  In 2009, he did not hit his first home run until the middle of May, yet he somehow rebounded.  Ortiz also had an unbelievably awful start to 2010, he rebounded again, and this year, at age 35, he's fine.  If Ortiz can rebound, something tells me Albert Pujols will be just fine.  All players go through dry spells.  Heck, Wade Boggs hit .259 in 1992 and then rebounded to his normal self.  Pujols is 31 and has way too much talent, he'll be fine.

Even Lance Berkman, the new Cardinal god, had a struggle recently until this year.  I wouldn't give up on Pujols yet.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

You Boston boys should be happy, the Red Sox should be able to fatten up their win column with the Cubs coming to town this week-end. It's too bad  Alfonso Soriano is probably going to be the DH for the Cubbies. You're going to miss the chance to see him boot the ball around left field like a little leaguer.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

You Boston boys should be happy, the Red Sox should be able to fatten up their win column with the Cubs coming to town this week-end. It's too bad  Alfonso Soriano is probably going to be the DH for the Cubbies. You're going to miss the chance to see him boot the ball around left field like a little leaguer.

Sunday is Tim Wakefield Vs. Matt Garza.  Matt Garza is a career Red Sox killer.  On Saturday Alfredo Aceves is pitching, which may or may not be a good thing.  He hasn't started a game in a couple of years.  Boston's starting rotation is hurt, and Chicago has the spot starters for 2 out of 3 games.  We shall see.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

The Phillies won an interleague game.  Maybe it IS Armageddon!   :laugh:

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This sucks ass: I want to watch the Red Sox/Cubs game tonight, which I would usually do on MLB.tv but probably can't because FOX will be showing Yankees/Mets and there is always a blackout when FOX has a game on of all the other games playing at the same time. So now I have to go and find an illegal stream or listen to the WEEI radio broadcast.

I understand local blackouts for when the Red Sox are playing the Orioles, they want you to watch the game on TV and increase the ratings. It kinda sucks I can't have Orsillo and Remy, but the O's broadcast team is actually not too bad for a bunch of homers (each of the teams broadcast teams are homers) and certainly much better than the tards on YES or Buck and McCarver on FOX. So yeah, I accept that and watch the games on MASN (or if I can't watch it live I'll watch the NESN archive). However, I have no intention whatsoever of watching Yankees/Mets and feel that I should be given the option of watching the game I want to watch! <off soapbox>

Wow, all of a sudden we are 1/2 game out of first place. It wasn't that long ago that we were cellar dwellars.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

This sucks ass: I want to watch the Red Sox/Cubs game tonight, which I would usually do on MLB.tv but probably can't because FOX will be showing Yankees/Mets and there is always a blackout when FOX has a game on of all the other games playing at the same time. So now I have to go and find an illegal stream or listen to the WEEI radio broadcast.

I understand local blackouts for when the Red Sox are playing the Orioles, they want you to watch the game on TV and increase the ratings. It kinda sucks I can't have Orsillo and Remy, but the O's broadcast team is actually not too bad for a bunch of homers (each of the teams broadcast teams are homers) and certainly much better than the tards on YES or Buck and McCarver on FOX. So yeah, I accept that and watch the games on MASN (or if I can't watch it live I'll watch the NESN archive). However, I have no intention whatsoever of watching Yankees/Mets and feel that I should be given the option of watching the game I want to watch! <off soapbox>

Wow, all of a sudden we are 1/2 game out of first place. It wasn't that long ago that we were cellar dwellars.

I agree, this whole Fox thing is a disgrace.  They want to show the Phillie game in Northern Delaware, very understandable.  Thats said, there should be an option to view the Sox game for those who pay for the package, but alas, Fox will not have it. 

Boston has been streaking recently, and yes, even the gods of rain saved us from a Tim Wakefield Vs. Chris Britton match up this past Tuesday, and we have been spared Matt Garza tomorrow!  Close game now as I type, 2 - 1 Red Sox.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm watching it right now; Marlon Byrd took a nasty beanball to the head and was taken to the hospital. Aceves was good but wild, hitting two Cubs. Zambrano intentionally hit Youk and both benches have been warned.

I actually got around the blackout by logging in to a UK server but I can't watch it in HD quality because the UK server isn't fast enough. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nice strike out/throw out DP that just ended the Cubs 6th. I just wanted to add that Matt Vasgersian and Eric Karros are commentating for FOX in this game and despite them being terrible in MLB 11 The Show on PS3 they are actually much better than Buck and McCarver in real life.

Offline metaldams

I'm watching it right now; Marlon Byrd took a nasty beanball to the head and was taken to the hospital. Aceves was good but wild, hitting two Cubs. Zambrano intentionally hit Youk and both benches have been warned.

I actually got around the blackout by logging in to a UK server but I can't watch it in HD quality because the UK server isn't fast enough. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

A shame about Byrd, I hope he's alright.  The Yankees took some scary hits to the head recently too, and as much as I dislike the Yanks, I obviously don't want to see that happen to anyone, Robinson Cano included.

I think Aceves was a great pick up, and Dan Wheeler actually held a lead!  Hopefully he fixed whatever it was that landed him on the DL and will return to his normal self.  Matt Albers has also been a pleasant surprise.  I was not happy at all about signing him, but he's proved me wrong thus far.  If Bard can settle down a little and Paps can keep his good year up, our bullpen might be pretty strong going forward.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Fukudome has the greatest name in baseball if look at it like this... Fuk-u-do-me.  I know, I need to grow up.  ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Geez, I must be slipping in my old age missing that one.

Offline metaldams

Geez, I must be slipping in my old age missing that one.

I take 100% credit for Fuk-u-do-me, but my brother, the one who kissed Robin Quivers hand, has to take credit for wondering if Albert Pujols has a brother named Barry or Phil.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just as I praise Albers, he's screwing us today.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Fukudome has the greatest name in baseball if look at it like this... Fuk-u-do-me.  I know, I need to grow up.  ;D

And all this time I thought his name was "F*** you, dummy!"  Maybe he was saying it to Joe Buck.  Or your pronunciation to Buck.  Either way, the Phillies will see KF 7 times this year.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Creepy, isn't it?  We've been really rallying lately, hopefully it will last 4 months longer.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

Creepy, isn't it?  We've been really rallying lately, hopefully it will last 4 months longer.

Saturday's loss completely sucked, but the Sox rebounded nicely tonight.  Good job by Tim Wakefield.  Saltalamacchia is heating up too, hope he keeps it up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nice job by the oldest player in baseball and A-Gone tonight. Wake gave the team just what they needed; a strong performance from one of the spot starters.