Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 190999

Offline Boid Brain

As an aside while the Angels crew deals with rain for the first time ever, ESPN is showing a rare game that does not include the Red Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Cubs/Mets with the Cardinals and Reds tonight, and even though I'm not a fan of either team I think I'll watch it.
You watched one boring ass game S#1.....I'm glad I didn't go to see that wet mess. BUT we are finally in 1st place, just 2 games over .500  :o

Offline Lefty

I wouldn't mind ESPN (which unfortunately is just about 95% "E" and 5% "S" anymore) showing the Phillies on a Sunday night when Monday is a holiday.  In other weeks, I would prefer the game being played in the afternoon and televised live on our own channel and that of the opponents, while the rest of the world could view it at that late time ESPN prefers to show things.

Too bad the Phillies don't get to play any more games in San Diego this year, having now won 11 straight at Petco Park.

Offline metaldams

I wouldn't mind ESPN (which unfortunately is just about 95% "E" and 5% "S" anymore) showing the Phillies on a Sunday night when Monday is a holiday.  In other weeks, I would prefer the game being played in the afternoon and televised live on our own channel and that of the opponents, while the rest of the world could view it at that late time ESPN prefers to show things.

Too bad the Phillies don't get to play any more games in San Diego this year, having now won 11 straight at Petco Park.

You Phillie fans just need to fall asleep until October.  I really don't see how you guys are going to miss the playoffs.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You Phillie fans just need to fall asleep until October.  I really don't see how you guys are going to miss the playoffs.

Really, the NL is a race to see who is going to get the pleasure of getting their asses handed to them by the Phillies.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Really, the NL is a race to see who is going to get the pleasure of getting their asses handed to them by the Phillies.
Spoken like a truly uninformed AL fan! No slur intended...I know way less about the AL than you do about the NL.

But if the Phils meet the Cards in the post, they will have their hands full! The Cards starting rotation in the playoffs minus their only shitty pitcher will be as good as the Phils....only 4 starters needed in the post season.

The only thing I know for sure is that the AL winner will meet the Cards or the Phils, and will lose.  ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You're looking at this through Cardinal red glasses. The Cards don't have the lineup to put a scare into a good pitcher and their rotation, while good, does not stack up to the best in baseball. The bullpen is also questionable. I see the Cards contending for the Central and possibly winning it I don't see anyone in the NL getting past the Phillies with the combination of the starting rotation and lineup, which is a bit less intimidating w/o Werth but still formidable none the less. In the AL I fully expect the Red Sox to take the pennant, especially if the rotation continues to perform as it should.

I could be absolutely wrong though, that's why the season is played on the field and not on paper.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

In the playoffs, anybody can get hot at the right time, and not necessarily the best team....look at the 2006 Cardinals.  The playoffs are a crapshoot.

Being good over a 162 game season is a different story.  As far as making the playoffs, there's no way The Phillies, with that line-up and a starting rotation that has the potential to be one of the best in history, are not making the playoffs.  Also, sorry Boid, The Phillies are one of the few teams in the NL that could regularly compete in the A.L.  The Toronto Blue Jays, a perennial 4th place team in the A.L. East, could make a serious run at the N.L. Central or N. L West crown.

Boston should make the playoffs, and in any other division, it's an almost guarantee.  In the A.L. East, there's some tough competition.

Boid, watch an A.L. game, something you've claimed you've never done.  Then imagine facing the Yankees line-up 18 times a year.  There's no Nick Punto's, David Eckstein's, or pitchers in that line-up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

In the playoffs, anybody can get hot at the right time, and not necessarily the best team....look at the 2006 Cardinals.  The playoffs are a crapshoot.

Being good over a 162 game season is a different story.  As far as making the playoffs, there's no way The Phillies, with that line-up and a starting rotation that has the potential to be one of the best in history, are not making the playoffs.  Also, sorry Boid, The Phillies are one of the few teams in the NL that could regularly compete in the A.L.  The Toronto Blue Jays, a perennial 4th place team in the A.L. East, could make a serious run at the N.L. Central or N. L West crown.

Boston should make the playoffs, and in any other division, it's an almost guarantee.  In the A.L. East, there's some tough competition.

Boid, watch an A.L. game, something you've claimed you've never done.  Then imagine facing the Yankees line-up 18 times a year.  There's no Nick Punto's, David Eckstein's, or pitchers in that line-up.
Since your reply the Cards have went from 2nd in hitting in the NL to the best in baseball. .301 team BA. This in spite of the fact that Pujols is batting .250 instead of his Career ave. of .333......Punto has had about 10 AB's and Eckstien was traded years ago. You AL guys don't really know much about the NL. The top 4 hitting teams in baseball are ALL from the NL Central, yes, all better that the mighty Phils. Or Yanks.

S#1 was right that our pen sucks. Our "closer" has blown 4 out of 5 saves! We have better arms in AAA than 3 of our guys on the big club. That issue will be addressed soon. As far as starting pitchers, we have the best in the NL next to the Phils and we are REAL close to them. Get this: our Ace, Carpenter has no wins! (zero run support)

We scored 9 runs on 10 hits last nite in ONE inning. When was the last time Philly or NY did that?  ;)

Offline metaldams

Since your reply the Cards have went from 2nd in hitting in the NL to the best in baseball. .301 team BA. This in spite of the fact that Pujols is batting .250 instead of his Career ave. of .333......Punto has had about 10 AB's and Eckstien was traded years ago. You AL guys don't really know much about the NL. The top 4 hitting teams in baseball are ALL from the NL Central, yes, all better that the mighty Phils. Or Yanks.

It's April.

We scored 9 runs on 10 hits last nite in ONE inning. When was the last time Philly or NY did that?  ;)

It's one game.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, after last night, Jon Lester now owns a 14 - 0 career record against the O's.  One more win against them and he ties the major league record of starting his career with an undefeated streak against a team, as Roy Oswalt started 15 - 0 against the Reds.  

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

By the way, after last night, Jon Lester now owns a 14 - 0 career record against the O's.  One more win against them and he ties the major league record of starting his career with an undefeated streak against a team, as Roy Oswalt started 15 - 0 against the Reds.  

Who does Lester play for?

Offline metaldams

Who does Lester play for?

The Red Sox.  Seriously, he's one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball and threw a no-hitter in 2008, you should've heard of him.

Here's his wikipedia page, he has a good story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Lester
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

The Red Sox.  Seriously, he's one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball and threw a no-hitter in 2008, you should've heard of him.

Here's his wikipedia page, he has a good story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Lester
It was a good story...thanks.

Offline Lefty

The Phillies gave me a fabulous birthday present yesterday -- a rare April 29th victory, and even better, over the Mets.  And it just seems as though Ryan Howard hits half his home runs when I'm at the bowling alley.  At least both of his blasts last night did not come when it was my turn.   

Offline metaldams

The Phillies gave me a fabulous birthday present yesterday -- a rare April 29th victory, and even better, over the Mets.  And it just seems as though Ryan Howard hits half his home runs when I'm at the bowling alley.  At least both of his blasts last night did not come when it was my turn.   

You should feel lucky, the Red Sox never won on my birthday.  I've been trying to get them to play on December 24 for years, but no such luck.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

No-hitter for Francisco Liriano tonight!  Really awesome, game, just a 1 - 0 final, he walks 5, and the final out is a sreaming liner to short by Adam Dunn.  I know Liriano's reading this (I think he's really SLIPP), so congratulations to him.  Boid Brain, this is American League baseball, but you have no excuse now not to know who Francisco Liriano is.

Boston's looking good the past few games.  If after that Saturday night debacle, you would've told me Boston would win three straight when Felix Hernandez, Jared Weaver, and Dan Haren were the opposing starters, I'd say you're nuts.

Oh, and the winning pitcher tonight, Jon Lester.  JON LESTER.  Remember the name Boid Brain, Jon Lester.  He's the man.   W: 4 -  L: 1  ERA: 2.33
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would like to suggest a rule that the BoSox play the Angels at least 50 times this year because we have absolutely owned the faux LA team. It's nice to see Crawford has gotten out of his season beginning slump and Papi has avoided one this year.

Jon Lester is absolutely the man, and Bucholz put in a very good start his last time out, best of the season. I don't understand why in this day and age where the line between AL and NL has been blurred by interleague play and players jumping around between leagues that some people still refuse to follow one league or another. I believe that thanks to the DH rule in the AL and not having a DH in the NL they are two distinct but equally interesting styles of baseball and any baseball fan worth his weight in salt would follow and appreciate both leagues.

Offline metaldams

Jon Lester is absolutely the man, and Bucholz put in a very good start his last time out, best of the season. I don't understand why in this day and age where the line between AL and NL has been blurred by interleague play and players jumping around between leagues that some people still refuse to follow one league or another. I believe that thanks to the DH rule in the AL and not having a DH in the NL they are two distinct but equally interesting styles of baseball and any baseball fan worth his weight in salt would follow and appreciate both leagues.

Agree.  I obviously know the American League better than the National because I'm a Red sox fan, but I can at least name you the star players on any team (unless if you're The Pittsburgh Pirates, where I admit I'm helpless).  But seriously, I don't watch, well....I'll use the Cardinals as an example, I don't watch the Cardinals much, but I certainly know who Albert Pujols, Adam Wainwright, Chris Carpenter, Lance Berkman, and Matt Holiday are.  In this day and age, with all the media, there's no excuse not to know at least the stars.

But it's everywhere.  My Dad is so Red Sox centric that my brother and I had to explain to him this weekend that this Ichiro guy is still good even though he had a rough weekend.  Half the Phillie fans in my area had no clue who Roy Halladay was until he went to the Phillies.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Half the Phillie fans in my area had no clue who Roy Halladay was until he went to the Phillies.

That's interesting, because the Phillies seem to face Toronto every year in that bane of baseball, interleague play.  I remember Halladay getting a win against the Phillies in relief following a rain delay a few years ago.  Unless G-20 decides to take over Toronto during the first weekend in July, Halladay has a 60% chance of pitching at the erstwhile Skydome for the first time as a "guest."

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm watching the Sox/Yanks game on FOX and is it just me or does Joe Buck sound more nasal than usual?

Offline metaldams

I'm watching the Sox/Yanks game on FOX and is it just me or does Joe Buck sound more nasal than usual?

My brother and I were too busy making fun of Tim McCarver to notice.

Yankee fans, you see Adrian Gonazalez this weekend?  7 years of that you have to look forward too.  I knew a left handed power hitter like him would be crushing balls over that short porch in right.

Glad Jorge Posada found a way to steal the media spotlight from Beckett tonight.   >:(

Let's sweep those mother fuckers tomorrow night.  We beat Andre on Friday, now let's beat The Rock on Sunday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

OK Metal...2 weeks later and Pujols is still behind Berkman in all good catagories and in front of him in ALL bad ones. Berkman is in a 6 game slump, going 1 for 22 and STILL leads AP in BA by 100 points.

Offline metaldams

OK Metal...2 weeks later and Pujols is still behind Berkman in all good catagories and in front of him in ALL bad ones. Berkman is in a 6 game slump, going 1 for 22 and STILL leads AP in BA by 100 points.

Good for Berkman, he has surprised me, as he looked completely lost on the Yankees last year.  He deserves NL comeback player of the year if he can keep this up.

I still say Pujols will end the year with better numbers, but even if I'm wrong, Pujols is still the better player in the overall scheme of things.  I admire Pujols and I'm a Red Sox fan.  I'm shocked you as a Cardinal fan don't respect the guy more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I laughed out loud during the inning when Sarah Silverman was in the booth. From FOX needlessly hitting the dump button on Masshole to her suggesting that pitchers should be given LSD ala Doc Ellis and Buck anxiously trying to change the subject I thought she was a blast.

I find it typical of the Skanks to produce off field drama to take away from the game at hand. It is interesting though because from the looks of it Posada is past-his-prime bum (like most of the Skanks lineup) who can't come to grips with the fact that it isn't 1997 anymore. You're hitting .165 Jorge, you should consider yourself lucky that they want you in the lineup at all (and if it weren't for the fact that practically half of his meager amount of hits have been homers I doubt he would be). Crawford, who is in the prime of his career started the season out terribly and got pushed down to 8 in the order. Did he pitch a fit and ask to be removed from the lineup? No, he realized the reason for the lineup change and concentrated on what was important: what's best for the team. On top of that he has brought his average up from the .150 range to the .210 range in the short time he has been batting 8th and I expect it to continue to climb and Carl to move further up the order where he belongs.

I don't know what lit a fire under A-Gone's ass but I'm sure glad it was lit. He's has been unstoppable lately. Lester usually doesn't have two off starts in a row and I would love to see a sweep at the Outhouse That George Built. Skanks fans should be plenty worried, something tells me this collection of fossils doesn't have the legs to compete the entire season plus playoffs, much like the Celtics in the NBA who were just ousted in five games by the Heat.

Offline metaldams

I laughed out loud during the inning when Sarah Silverman was in the booth. From FOX needlessly hitting the dump button on Masshole to her suggesting that pitchers should be given LSD ala Doc Ellis and Buck anxiously trying to change the subject I thought she was a blast.

I find it typical of the Skanks to produce off field drama to take away from the game at hand. It is interesting though because from the looks of it Posada is past-his-prime bum (like most of the Skanks lineup) who can't come to grips with the fact that it isn't 1997 anymore. You're hitting .165 Jorge, you should consider yourself lucky that they want you in the lineup at all (and if it weren't for the fact that practically half of his meager amount of hits have been homers I doubt he would be). Crawford, who is in the prime of his career started the season out terribly and got pushed down to 8 in the order. Did he pitch a fit and ask to be removed from the lineup? No, he realized the reason for the lineup change and concentrated on what was important: what's best for the team. On top of that he has brought his average up from the .150 range to the .210 range in the short time he has been batting 8th and I expect it to continue to climb and Carl to move further up the order where he belongs.

I don't know what lit a fire under A-Gone's ass but I'm sure glad it was lit. He's has been unstoppable lately. Lester usually doesn't have two off starts in a row and I would love to see a sweep at the Outhouse That George Built. Skanks fans should be plenty worried, something tells me this collection of fossils doesn't have the legs to compete the entire season plus playoffs, much like the Celtics in the NBA who were just ousted in five games by the Heat.

I completely fell in love with Sarah Silverman last night.  She's attractive, a Red Sox fan, and has a fun personality.  I too was laughing my ass off about the LSD/Doc Ellis thing, as well as talking about the "bittersweet" aspect of 2004 for us Red Sox fans.  Awesome.

The guy Posada should take a cue from is Varitek, a guy the same age and position who knows he's in decline.  He takes a declined salary and a back up position and does his best to help the team, not throw a god damn hissy fit.  Speaking of which, Boston really needs to do something about their catching situation.

Lester generally owns the Yankees, but if there's one thing this 2011 Red sox team has taught me so far, it's that they're allegic to .500.  If Lester throws 1 R 7IP, the Red sox may get shut out or lose in extra innings at 3:00 AM.  Let's hope not.

Oh, and Gonzalez, the only thing missing from him in April was the homeruns.  He was still getting hits, still playing great defense, and still driving in a lot of runs.  Now that the home runs are coming, he looks that much scarier.
- Doug Sarnecky