Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 192067

Offline metaldams

By the way, I love looking at old box scores, so thanks for posting those games, guys.  Some pretty wild looking games, there.  What's amazing about that 23 - 22 game is that the Phillies, with both teams scoring THAT much, were able to hold a one run lead in the bottom of the 10th.

Speaking of old games, i got this for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Essential-Games-Fenway-Steelbook/dp/B00142UZ8A/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1297534751&sr=1-5

I agree with the reviewer who says the four home run game against the Yanks should've been thrown in as a highlight and replaced with the complete Bill Mueller walk-off/Varitek and A-Rod game fight, but the great thing about this set is that two of these games are before I was even born, and the Clemens 20 strike out game is the year I started watching baseball.

I was also able to watch game 7 of the 1960 World Series recently, the famous Pittsburgh walk off.  Not a single strike out on either side the entire game.  I was watching the game with my Dad and some uncles and my Dad felt real old because he was ten and the rest of us weren't even born when that game took place.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Believe it or not I actually watched the whole thing. This game had everything. Chuck Tanner, manager of the Pirates who just recently passed away, argues with the replacement ump (umps were on strike) for a good twenty minutes before both he and the third base coach are finally tossed out after Phil Niekro gets hit while swinging at a pitch and is awarded first base, so then the Pirates play under protest. Tanner then proceeds to stick around for a good couple of innings until finally being spotted by the Atlanta dugout and Bobby Cox (yes he was Braves manager back then) announces the Braves are playing under protest. The Pirates 2B Rennie Stennett is then ejected when he argues with the ump about the runner being called safe at 2B during a DP attempt (Stennett is well behind the bag when the runner slides into him so the ump made the right call). Later on the legendary Dave Parker is ejected after charging the mound after getting hit by a pitch from Gabe Garber which leads Kent Tekulve going after ATL pinch hitter Rowland Office, who in turn charges the mound after the second pitch that almost hit him and Office gets tossed.

The pitching was awful on both sides and the game was back and forth with each time hitting a Grand Slam at one point (Gary Matthews for the Braves and John Milner for the Pirates) and the Bucs' Bill Robinson hitting two HRs. The Pirates put it away with a 7 run 9th and Milner's GS ended the scoring at 17-9.

Overall very interesting to watch this WCTG (which would become TBS) broadcast, complete with commercials for Discos and whatnot.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

Getting back to the Phillies' 23-22 win at Chicago, when I watched the replay I kept score, which is probably somewhere in my basement.  There were a few interesting things about the game:

The wind is listed as "18 mph in unknown direction."  Well, I'd say the direction was straight out to center field, which is probably from southwest to northeast.

Randy Lerch, the Phillies' starting pitcher, hit a home run before he made his first pitch.  That's a rarity in baseball.

Pitcher Nino Espinosa, who started earlier in the series, pinch-ran for Greg Luzinski in the 4th inning, scored a run, then grounded out as a batter in that same inning.

After the win, the team's record was 24-10.  The rest of the season, they went 60-68, for a mediocre 84-78.

Offline Boid Brain

This just in: Albert Pujols has rejected the Cards offer....they have 48 hrs to raise it to his liking. Now, I know a lot can happen in 2 days, but what if they don't come to terms?

In my mind there are only 3 teams he would (or could) sign with: the Yanks, the Sawks or the Walt Jockety Reds (his old GM)

The sticking point seems to be his 10 year contract demand of 30 mil a year.

Would you guys want him for that price tag?

Offline metaldams

In my mind there are only 3 teams he would (or could) sign with: the Yanks, the Sawks or the Walt Jockety Reds (his old GM)

The Red Sox look like they'll have Adrian Gonzalez tied up and the Yankees Mark Texiera.  I doubt Pujols will play for either team.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

The Red Sox look like they'll have Adrian Gonzalez tied up and the Yankees Mark Texiera.  I doubt Pujols will play for either team.

Pujols has to play for the Cards in this, his final contract year. Who knows what will transpire in a year. My feeling is that he will play ANYWHERE if they give him that 10 year deal...even Kansas City :o

Offline metaldams

Pujols has to play for the Cards in this, his final contract year. Who knows what will transpire in a year. My feeling is that he will play ANYWHERE if they give him that 10 year deal...even Kansas City :o

Yeah, but unless Texiera, Gonzalez, or Pujols is willing to play DH (highly unlilely since all are in their prime and excellent first basemen), I highly doubt the Red Sox and Yankees would be willing to pay huge money for a position they already have huge money invested in and are good at.

I can see perhaps the Angels going after Pujols (that's the kind of impact signing they need to make), or maybe the Nationals or Orioles making a statement if he doesn't re-sign with St. Louis.  The latter two teams are strting to show a willingness to spend money and compete, so I wouldn't rule them out.

Then again, in a fantasy world, Ortiz is most likley playing his last year in Boston, and with all the lefties Boston has, Pujols would make an ideal RH DH.  The problem is he'll probably want a huge contract until he's 40 (not a Theo Epstein type move), and would Pujols want to play DH?  I can dream, anyway.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

No, Metal, Albert loves being the "field general" on the infield, so DH is out. But he is also a decent 3rd baseman and outfielder. Hmmmm....

Offline Justin T

Anybody going to any games?  I have tickets to see Boston Vs. Baltimore in Camden Yards.  I think it's July 19th if memory serves me correct.  I go to Baltimore every year to catch a Sox game, but it's shocking that I have to go in the middle of the week and switch shifts at work, as there's not one weekend series in Baltimore!

I'm hoping to be able to go the Yankees/Rockies series thats in NY this year. Its in late June I think.
I have an Uncle who is a Rockies fan so if we have the money and the time we hope to go.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Curly4444

Those idiots in the cardinal office better sign him, or i wont watch the cardinals anymore. He draws people to the game, and people will be pissed if they let him go.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I hope he stays in St. Louis; it's always good when the face of a franchise stays in the franchise. If it doesn't happen I wouldn't mind seeing him in Boston in some capacity but I tend to doubt it (unless the Sox don't sign Gonzalez long term).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I think today would be a good day to bring this thread up.  First games begin in 20 minutes!  Since the Red Sox don't play until tomorrow, and the Yankees are playing, I just have one thing to say....  Go Tigers!!!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

It was a long, cold, lonely winter! Go Cards!

Hey Curly444....I'm sure you know that Albert was unsigned. He is GONE after this year.

Offline metaldams

Hey Curly444....I'm sure you know that Albert was unsigned. He is GONE after this year.

I'm not so sure.  Pujols would be crazy not to test the market, so it's no surprise he's not signed a new deal yet. Since the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies pretty much have long term first basemen, I think Pujols will stay a Cardinal.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That was a monster blast from Teixeira.

I laughed when Sean McDonough said it was a sell out crowd but there are obviously many empty seats.

Offline Boid Brain

I'm not so sure.  Pujols would be crazy not to test the market, so it's no surprise he's not signed a new deal yet. Since the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies pretty much have long term first basemen, I think Pujols will stay a Cardinal.
The Cubs HAVE the payroll to acquire him, and they want him very bad. The Cards payroll is so top heavy...4 guys make 1/2 of the salary. Moving Pujols would make room for a decent SS and 2nd baseman...badly needed here.

If he has another Pujols year the Cards won't pay him that 10 year contract he wants. The man is 31 (that's 35 in Dominican years) If he has an off year he may accept less.

Lance Berkman is watching close. If he has a big year he might slide into that 1b job. That, I figure is why the Cards got him. Insurance for Pujols.

Offline metaldams

I laughed when Sean McDonough said it was a sell out crowd but there are obviously many empty seats.

Ah, Sean McDonough.  Where's Bob Montgomery when you need him?

Kind of surprised Yankee Stadium would have empty seats on opening day, quite frankly.  Maybe it's because people are working?  Maybe people just can't afford it anymore, I dunno.  Anyway, I just have to settle for following box scores on a computer.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Metal...you do know about the gamecast feature don't you?

Offline Lefty

1.  The Skankees and the Squaws both won. 
2.  I wonder if Jayson Werth couldn't hit a home run today because of that $126 million in his back pocket. 
3.  The main thing is that the weather better get better in time for the Phillies to open their season at 1300 hours tomorrow.  They are 7-16 vs. Houston at CBP, but 4-2 in April, and 3-14 from August on.  At least the schedule makers did something right (maybe).

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Last I heard from Bob Montgomery he was working Paw Sox broadcasts.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
So facking excited for this season! :D
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Boid Brain

Pujols had the worst day at the plate of his CAREER today. 0 for 5 and ground into 3 double plays. Berkman tore the cover off the ball 3 times.

Offline metaldams

Pujols had the worst day at the plate of his CAREER today. 0 for 5 and ground into 3 double plays. Berkman tore the cover off the ball 3 times.

...and I guarantee you by the end of the season Pujols's stats will destroy Berkman's.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

So facking excited for this season! :D

Me too, I just wish Boston was facing somebody else besides C.J. Wilson tomorrow.  That guy killed us last year, and he owns lefty.  Our line-up is lefty heavy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Watching the Giants-Dodgers game now.  While I am a big fan of Tim Lincecum's pitching, my ex-roommate and her boyfriend are Giants fans (they're from the Bay Area), and since I hate her guts for making the night she brought her "friends" over to help her move out a living hell for me, and the fact that I've been a SoCaller for 10.5 years (hated every minute of it), I'm pulling for LA.

Rod Barajas sure is a tough customer at the plate!  2-0 Dodgers in the bottom 8th.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!