The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 191312

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I believe it was Jim Palmer with Gary "Asswipe" Thorne and not Flanagan. It is sad to see a physically healthy person like Flanagan take his own life; it leaves me curious as to his reasoning for doing so (or his mental health state).

What was also terrible was the actions of Yankees manager Joe Girardi during this whole mess. From what I understand he chewed the ass of the Orioles' player rep for quite some time when the O's would not acquiesce to the Skanks wishes to play a double-header on Friday. What this terrible manager who lucked out by signing with a loaded team needs to realize is that the world...even the baseball world does not revolve around the Yankees. The games are being played in Baltimore and they have the right to dictate when they will be played, not the Yankees. The Orioles did what was best for them as they should and Girardi should show some respect.

Here's hoping Girardi gets a slow, painful bout of testicular cancer that invades the rest of his body. I'd call him a scum bag but I don't want to disparage condoms.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Here's hoping Girardi gets a slow, painful bout of testicular cancer that invades the rest of his body. I'd call him a scum bag but I don't want to disparage condoms.
WOW  ???

You seem to hate the skanks more than me.  :laugh:

Offline metaldams

The Oriole announcers were also ripping Girardi for not even acknowledging the whole Flanagan situation, be it publically or even privately.  Joe Torre would have handled this situation with a lot more class.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's not about hating the Skanks this time, Quad 4's. Joe Torre was a hell of a manager who did a lot more with a lot less and as Doug said would have been a lot more classy about the whole situation. Joe Girardi lucked into the job after having a surprisingly good season with the Marlins and isn't a millimeter of the manager the likes of Torre, Bobby Cox, Tony LaRussa or Terry Francona. If I called him a piece of shit I'd be asking for a defamation lawsuit from fecal matter.

There's an article on ESPN.com about the situation right now: http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6904397/baltimore-orioles-rip-new-york-yankees-hurricane-irene-makeup-date-complaints

It amazes me that these overpriced whores are bitching about losing their day off and think the Orioles should have to bend to their wishes.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm watching a good Rangers/Angels game on ESPN right now, tied 4-4 in the 4th with the Rangers having just a 2 game lead in the AL West. I try to catch as many of the non Mets/Yankees/Phillies games on ESPN in the hopes that they will "mix up the playlist" a little more.

Offline metaldams

I'm watching a good Rangers/Angels game on ESPN right now, tied 4-4 in the 4th with the Rangers having just a 2 game lead in the AL West. I try to catch as many of the non Mets/Yankees/Phillies games on ESPN in the hopes that they will "mix up the playlist" a little more.

I'm watching too.  Sadly, the two Western races are the only games that matter right now, and we're not even in September.  It's possible some team from another race makes a big comeback (Tampa Bay has the pitching to do it), but it's unlikely.

Oh, and one thing I always like to keep track of at this time of year - who's eliminated.

Houston is the 1st and only team who is mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot.  This will probably change in a week or so.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Houston is the 1st and only team who is mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot.  This will probably change in a week or so.

And i know who will be joining Houston very soon. Can you take a guess??

Offline metaldams

And i know who will be joining Houston very soon. Can you take a guess??

Kansas City, Baltimore, Seattle, Oakland, San Diego, Los Angeles, and every team in the supposedly mighty NL Central not named Milwaukee, amongst others.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Kansas City, Baltimore, Seattle, Oakland, San Diego, Los Angeles, and every team in the supposedly mighty NL Central not named Milwaukee, amongst others.
You didn't get it. You were suppose to say the cardinals. Did you forget i'm from St. Louis like Boid Brain?

Offline metaldams

You didn't get it. You were suppose to say the cardinals. Did you forget i'm from St. Louis like Boid Brain?

Oh, I remembered, it's just that there are also a zillion other teams about to be eliminated as well.  The races are pretty boring for the most part this year.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Where to begin?
1.  It's a shame about Mike Flanagan's death. 

2.  Joe Girardi should have a death of his own -- his career.  Yes, he did luck into managing the Junkies -- so much for wanting to manage his hometown Cubs.  And as Bobby Clarke said about Scotty Bowman winning all of those Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens, "It's not easy coaching 20 All-Stars."

3.  The poor Junkies wanted more days off.  Well, the Phillies, with 4 games in hand on Atlanta and a magic number of 26 to clinch the division, now have to play all remaining 31 days of this season (weather permitting), for a total of 33 games, with Let's-make-the-fans-pay-twice day/night doubleheaders on Sept. 15th and 20th.  The 15th was their last scheduled day off after this past Thursday.  Maybe the Junkies should play a day/night doubleheader -- in two different cities.

Offline Justin T

As a Yankee fan, I'm not even going to attempt to defend Giradi's bitching this weekend
because it was really uncalled for. The O's just lost someone who ment alot to the organization,
I thought he would have more class than that, I was wrong.

"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

To bring up a more positive and refreshing story, here's Jared Weaver avoiding free agency to stay with his team.  "How much money does one need" indeed.  I wish more players had Weaver's attitude.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/08/23/11/Emotional-Weaver-values-team-over-money/landing_angels.html?blockID=552780&feedID=8686
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
To bring up a more positive and refreshing story, here's Jared Weaver avoiding free agency to stay with his team.  "How much money does one need" indeed.  I wish more players had Weaver's attitude.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/08/23/11/Emotional-Weaver-values-team-over-money/landing_angels.html?blockID=552780&feedID=8686

You know, sometimes I think that BUT if a bunch of players had the same mindset as Weaver they would be handing the owners too much power and things that guys like Curt Flood fought for would be gone. Sure the players make huge money now but there was a time when they weren't making a whole lot and basically had control of a player through his career until he was traded.

Offline metaldams

You know, sometimes I think that BUT if a bunch of players had the same mindset as Weaver they would be handing the owners too much power and things that guys like Curt Flood fought for would be gone. Sure the players make huge money now but there was a time when they weren't making a whole lot and basically had control of a player through his career until he was traded.

Yeah, but this is not 1970 anymore and the pendulum has swung to the opposite extreme.  The fact is players do make much more money now and they all have a choice to go elsewhere or stay with their old team if they don't get traded.  I think a player has the right to go to the highest bidder if he chooses, but it's also nice to once in a while to see a player who realizes 85 million is enough and he just wants to stay where he is out of loyalty.  Weaver's loyalty was based on choice, and I don't think Curt Flood would've objected to that.

11th win against the Yankees tonight  Papelbon looked nasty, 7 pitches, 2 K's.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

What the hell is going on with the Red Sox? They're picking a bad time to slump. The White Sox are done, so I was kind of hoping the Red Sox would be strong.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Lefty

Phase 1 -- Phillies clinch playoff spot -- complete.
Phase 2 -- Phillies clinch N.L. East -- complete.
Phase 3 -- Phillies clinch N.L. best record -- magic number = 2.
Phase 4 -- The Hunt(er) For Red October. 

"Good game.  Let's go eat!"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What the hell is going on with the Red Sox? They're picking a bad time to slump. The White Sox are done, so I was kind of hoping the Red Sox would be strong.

Well we are without Kevin Youkilis and Clay Bucholz, just got Josh Beckett back and the Rays are the team in the division that has our number right now. On the plus side today is the last game of the season against Tampa.

Offline metaldams

the Rays are the team in the division that has our number right now.

right now = since 2008

There was a time when Boston would destroy the Rays unless they faced Scott Kazmir, who owned the Red Sox at one time.  These days, Tampa Bay has five Scott Kazmir's.  It's actually historic how bad they own us.  They 3 hit us three games in a row earlier this year (and we somehow managed to win one of those), and I think after the first 14 games Boston's team batting average against Tampa Bay was .177.

I might be a Yankee fan for a few days when Tampa Bay plays them this week, and I'm hoping Boston does their usual damage against Baltimore.  If Boston doesn't make the post season this year, I have a feeling somebody big's gonna go, I just don't know who.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What would be most disappointing about the Sox not making the post-season and the Rays making it is that their "fan base" is absolute garbage and in no way deserving of the team they have. Florida sports fans suck and do not support their teams.

Offline metaldams

I gotta ask, Jim, what's your opinion on Theo?  I think he's great with drafting players, but is absolutely terrible with free agents and long term deals.

Check out these disasters:

Julio Lugo
Edgar Renteria
John Lackey
Daisuke Matsuzaka (better than average for this list, but still not a good pick up)
John Lackey
Matt Clement
Bobby Jenks
Mike Cameron

.......is there anybody else I'm forgetting?

J.D. Drew was also not as advertised, but I'll give a C average based on periods where he was really hot and three huge post season hits.

Marco Scutaro gets a pass because he has played as advertised.

Jason Bay and Victor Martinez were good year and a half rentals, but it would be great to have Justin Masterson now.

Eric Gagne was a trade disaster.  Let's also not forget scrap heap boners like Wade Miller, Brad Penny, and a way past his prime John Smoltz.

As far as Crawford and Gonzalez, the former has also under performed, but he has 6 years left and a chance to turn it around.  He shows signs of getting hot.  Gonzalez overall is having a great season, but he's not been as good past the all-star break and it's revealed his off season shoulder surgery may have something to do with this.  How will this hold up after six seasons?

On the positive end, there's Bard, Lester, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papelbon, and Buchholz, and perhaps a few other I'm missing.  He is good at drafting players.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I'm dissapointed at some of the games the Yankees lost this past week, we could have a bigger lead on Boston. Oh well, gotta move foward.

The final stretch run for the AL East is going to be wild. Yanks have a 4 1/2 game lead on Boston while Tampa is now 2 games behind Boston for the Wild Card. We start Monday with a make up game vs the Twins then we get the Rays 7 times to finish the season with 3 against Boston in between while Boston gets Baltimore for 7.

There is plenty of pressure for the Yanks to win the division and beat out the Tigers for AL home field advantage. We just have to win enough against Boston and Tampa to keep them both off our backs, it's going to be a interesting week for sure.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Gonzalez will be fine in the long run. I wouldn't worry about him.

Crawford wasn't worth what he was paid, but someone was going to give him that kind of money. Last year is kind of as good as it gets with him, a career year. He's paid as if he's a great player, but he's not one. He's good, not great. He'll be better next year, but I don't think he'll have another 851 OPS.

Clement was done in by injuries. He came to Boston off 3 solid years in Chicago, but just couldn't stay healthy. He would have been a good value at 3 yrs/25 if he was healthy.

Lackey was a disaster. There were enough red flags with him before he ever got to Boston. That contract can't be saved.

Matsuzaka's first two years were good, but I think he's fallen apart physically since.

Masterson has turned out better than expected... the knock on him was he couldn't get lefties out and belonged in the pen over the long haul. That turned out to be selling him short. Some preferred the other pitcher Boston gave up, Nick Hagadone.... he's barely a prospect now.

Gagne was a roid creation, nothing more.

Bay? Be glad your team doesn't have him now.

Offline metaldams

Crawford wasn't worth what he was paid, but someone was going to give him that kind of money. Last year is kind of as good as it gets with him, a career year. He's paid as if he's a great player, but he's not one. He's good, not great. He'll be better next year, but I don't think he'll have another 851 OPS.

I simply think they need to find a role for Crawford on this team.  He's batted a zillion places in the order and they really need to give him focus.

Lackey was a disaster. There were enough red flags with him before he ever got to Boston. That contract can't be saved.

John Lackey has the highest ERA for a Red Sox pitcher with 25 starts in FRANCHISE HISTORY.  The Red sox have had some awful pitching over the years.  Enough said.

Matsuzaka's first two years were good, but I think he's fallen apart physically since.

Dice-K may have had an 18 - 3 2.90 season in '08, but it was the worst 18 - 3 2.90 season in the history of baseball.  Jim will back me up on this.  His WHIP was through the roof and he hardly ever got to the 6th inning.

Bay? Be glad your team doesn't have him now.

I'll give Theo all the credit in the world not re-signing Bay.  Too bad for Bay and the Mets, I really liked him in Boston.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Dice-K wasn't as good as 18-3 might indicate, and walked too many... but he had a good strikeout rate, gave up comfortably less than a H/IP and a 1.320 WHIP is solid enough. Not a great mark, but average-ish. I think he's toast at this point, though.