Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Loaf of Bread Well Soaked?

· 10 · 2918

Dog Hambone

If this was asked before, it was a long time ago & I missed it.

Curly is stuffing a turkey in AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE when the recipe calls for "a loaf of bread well soaked". He picks up a loaf of bread & then starts punching it. Shemp repeats the routine in LISTEN, JUDGE.

What's up with that? Is "soaked" some kind of boxing slang (for getting beaten up, maybe)?

??? 

Offline FineBari3

If this was asked before, it was a long time ago & I missed it.

Curly is stuffing a turkey in AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE when the recipe calls for "a loaf of bread well soaked". He picks up a loaf of bread & then starts punching it. Shemp repeats the routine in LISTEN, JUDGE.

What's up with that? Is "soaked" some kind of boxing slang (for getting beaten up, maybe)?

I've wondered that myself.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Lefty

I think that they read "soaked" and thought it said "socked."  Just my 6&7/8 cents' worth.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The word "soak" can mean to beat hard or punish severely as slang.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I seem to recall that during my childhood (roughly 40 years ago) there was a game called "soak 'em" (I only recall the sound; I'm sure I never saw it written) that involved throwing a ball at people.

Dog Hambone

Well, plant me now & dig me later. By golly, you're right. I tried Wiktionary before I started this thread, but the only definitions I found were about what you'd expect (saturating something with liquid). I then tried Dictionary.com. & they had your definition word for word:
"Verb. Slang. to beat hard; punish severely"

For you boozers, there is also a slang definition of soak, a noun, which is "a heavy drinker".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
For you boozers, there is also a slang definition of soak, a noun, which is "a heavy drinker".

Ref., see GOOD OLD SOAK (1937), starring Wallace Beery and Ted Healy.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well, plant me now & dig me later. By golly, you're right. I tried Wiktionary before I started this thread, but the only definitions I found were about what you'd expect (saturating something with liquid). I then tried Dictionary.com. & they had your definition word for word:
"Verb. Slang. to beat hard; punish severely"

Yeah, that's where I got it from. I had heard the term "soak(ed)" used that way before and figured that's what it meant but I just wanted to make sure.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Finally, someone has asked a question that I've been wondering myself for many years. I finally know the answer! Thanks guys!

Offline Rich Finegan

In the 1932 Laurel & Hardy short SCRAM! Arthur Housman is drunk, and has been out in the rain. His wife asks Stan & Ollie if her husband is wet, and Stan answers, "Wet! He's soaked!"