Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Andy Griffith Show

luke795 · 17 · 3756

Offline luke795

Are there any fans of the Andy Griffith Show or Mayberry R.F.D.?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What gives you that idea?...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dog Hambone

Are there any fans of the Andy Griffith Show or Mayberry R.F.D.?

Yes. I am a huge fan of the Andy Griffith Show. That is, the B&W episodes from the early 1960s; after they went to color nearly all the really funny characters were gone along with the good writing. I still watch it on TV Land frequently, & recently I spent 2 consecutive afternoons watching TV Land's top 50 Andy Griffith episodes (even though I had seen them all numerous times). 

Offline Boid Brain

That was a great show in the 1st season, when Andy was the funny one...then he became the strait man to Don Knox...unbelievable!

Sure, Knox was a funny dude in his way, but he was nowhere near the talent of Griffith...to this day Andy's "No time for sargents" is one of the funniest movies I ever saw.

I put it 3rd behind "The Jerk" and "Bringing up Baby"

Am I wrong???

Dog Hambone

That's a good one, no doubt. My favorite, though, is A FACE IN THE CROWD. It's not a funny movie, but it really showcased Griffith's acting talent.  

Offline Boid Brain

That's a good one, no doubt. My favorite, though, is A FACE IN THE CROWD. It's not a funny movie, but it really showcased Griffith's acting talent.  
I did not see that film until recently. It changed my mind about him. It was simply a tour de force performance. (I like Patricia Neal in that too!)

And of course the young Lee Remick twirling her baton. Very hot stuff.

Offline Boid Brain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seemed to me that Andy, and later Gomer were the only true country boys on the show! :o

Dog Hambone

Maybe so, if you don't count supporting characters such as the Darling Family or Ernest T. Bass, & maybe Goober, or some of the various moonshiners. Most of the rest of them were just small town types.  

Incidentally, the 4 musicians who played the Darling sons were a real Bluegrass band named the Dillards. I don't recall their first names except for Doug Dillard, the guitar player & lead singer.  

Offline pipboytaylor

Yeah, I'm alos a huge fan of the Griffith Show. There were so many great characters on that show. Not mentioned yet, but the late Howard McNear was a funny character as well. They say he was just himself on the show. Just one of those quirky old guys that makes you laugh just to see his mannersims.

Offline Boid Brain

Yeah, I'm alos a huge fan of the Griffith Show. There were so many great characters on that show. Not mentioned yet, but the late Howard McNear was a funny character as well. They say he was just himself on the show. Just one of those quirky old guys that makes you laugh just to see his mannersims.
Was that guy Floyd the barber? Anyway, I found out recently that Floyd was always seen sitting because his legs were shot from diabetes or whatever. Cool that they kept him on the show for so many years.

And may I say...Goober was a POS compared to gomer...what a charactor he was. Last I heard he was living in Hawaii with his beach baby boys! Is the dude still with us?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Was that guy Floyd the barber? Anyway, I found out recently that Floyd was always seen sitting because his legs were shot from diabetes or whatever. Cool that they kept him on the show for so many years.

Howard McNear suffered a debilitating stroke in the middle of the 3rd season (1962 - 1963), shortly after filming on an episode that featured him, "Convicts at Large." When Andy learned that Howard was suffering depression because he was afraid he wouldn't be hired anymore, Andy made arrangements for him to return in the middle of the 4th season (1963 - 1964), and from that time on he was usually seen sitting. There are a few episodes where he was seen standing, facilitated by a specially fitting brace and prop (invented and patented by Howard Morris, aka 'Ernest T. Bass'). He retired toward the end of the 7th season (1966 - 1967) after suffering a minor stroke that further affected his speech. He died at the Motion Picture Home in 1969.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seemed to me that Andy, and later Gomer were the only true country boys on the show!

Andy is from Mt. Airy NC, Don Knotts from Morgantown WV, and both Jim Nabors and George Lindsey are natives of Alabama.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
gomer...Last I heard he was living in Hawaii... Is the dude still with us?

Jim Nabors purchased a plantation in Hawaii in the '70s. In addition to investing wisely, he became a very rich man running a macadamia farm. He's retired and still living on the plantation.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Howard McNear -
 -  Before his stroke... "Convicts at Large" (1963); fans of classic comedy will appreciate a passing bit of dialogue at the 7:00 mark in the first video
 -  Shortly after returning to the show... "Otis Sues the County" (1965)
 -  His last episode... "Goober's Contest" (1967); and yes, that is Rob Reiner

Convicts at Large
[youtube=425,350]wSb0opvp4xw[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]0nV8DDX1WbE[/youtube]

Otis Sues the County
[youtube=425,350]aTGgvey4eo0[/youtube]

Goober's Contest
[youtube=425,350]QJg0QW4Nd8w[/youtube]

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
The Andy Griffith Show used to be my favorite show in the world.  Barney was my favorite.  I just loved Don Knotts.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!