Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

First great Stooge short?

Dog Hambone

Unless you consider Punch Drunks to be an awful, vomitous short, I don't see why it would be hard to consider it the first great short. It is not even close to being my favorite short as I can name a lot more shorts that I like better, but IMHO, it's a great short that started it all.

Some excellent logic in your argument. I see your point, and I'm therefore inclined to change my vote from HORSES COLLARS to PUNCH DRUNKS. It's an odd short in that they didn't know each other at the beginning and then came together as a team, as opposed to most of the rest where they start & finish as a team. It also seems to have less of the vaudeville routines than MEN IN BLACK does.   

Offline ILMM

I agree that Punch Drunks was the first great Curly short, and I also think that the first great Shemp short was
Hold That Lion!, It had just about everything, a great side cast, several locations, and a Curly cameo!
If I were pressed to say what was the first "great" Joe short I would say that A Merry Mix-Up was
the first [and one of the only] "great" joes.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
None of the Joe shorts are great in my opinion and I would venture to guess that most would agree with me.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

I'd agree none of the Besser's were "great," but a few were "good," such as MERRY MIX UP and FLYING SAUCER DAFFY.

Offline ILMM

I would generally agree that the Joes were poor, hence the quotations.

Offline Curly4444

Nothing was "great" after the last shemp short.  :( Ok, good, but not great.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well anyone who uses the word "hence" is alright with me, welcome to the site.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Well anyone who uses the word "hence" is alright with me, welcome to the site.
Hence

I bet you knew that was coming?  ::) ;D

Offline ILMM

Thank You!

Offline Boid Brain

If Punchdrunks was the one with "Bustoff" I agree whole heartedly! To this day I crack up when Curly starts banging everybody with the ring bell..."Send the riot squad!"

Of course, knowing me I got the wrong title! :-[

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
If Punchdrunks was the one with "Bustoff" I agree whole heartedly! To this day I crack up when Curly starts banging everybody with the ring bell..."Send the riot squad!"

Of course, knowing me I got the wrong title! :-[

You did; Bustoff was in Grips, Grunts and Groans,.  Punch Drunks was the one where Curly goes berserk every time he hears "Pop Goes the Weasel" and Moe makes him into a boxing champion, K.O. Stradivarius.   ;D

Offline LoU fRoM pRiSoN

First great short with Curly: "Men In Black".

First great short with Shemp: "Hold That Lion".

First great short with Joe: My first instinct was to type "We're still waiting for this one", but then I decided I would give "Flying Saucer Daffy" the nod.