Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Exit... Margaret Dumont

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Margaret Dumont's farewell performance, with Groucho Marx. She died a week later.

From THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, taped 2/26/65, aired 4/17/65 on ABC.

[youtube=425,350]e8hmxIn1-OA[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Thanks for posting that, Brent.

I looked her up on wikipedia and she had a heart attack, which is probably good in the sense that she was 82, able to do a television show eight days before her death, and most likely she wasn't dealing with any long term illness.  Good for her, she seemed to be having fun and Groucho was as sharp as ever.  I'm glad she got to work with Groucho in the end, they made a great team.

Margaret Dumont, interestingly enough, was born on the same day as Bela Lugosi.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Thanks for posting that, Brent.

I looked her up on wikipedia and she had a heart attack, which is probably good in the sense that she was 82, able to do a television show eight days before her death, and most likely she wasn't dealing with any long term illness.  Good for her, she seemed to be having fun and Groucho was as sharp as ever.  I'm glad she got to work with Groucho in the end, they made a great team.

Margaret Dumont, interestingly enough, was born on the same day as Bela Lugosi.

Same exact day?

Offline metaldams

Same exact day?

Both Bela Lugosi and Margaret Dumont were born October 20, 1882. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

"Well I hope your disposal is working, because I brought a lot of garbage with me from Africa....and I've been saying it all evening."

Great find, thanks for posting.  Maggie's still on top of her game there even at 82.  And watching Groucho tossing out ad-libs like candy is always fun.  I'm guessing this televised recreation of the "exploring" scene is truer to the spirit of the original Animal Crackers stage play than the filmed version, since Groucho has an audience to react against here.  I've always said that if I had a time machine one of the first things I'd do is buy a ticket to see Animal Crackers on Broadway.

Leave it to Metaldams to shoehorn Lugosi into a thread about Margret Dumont  :laugh:.  (BTW, I bought the Boris Karloff Bela Lugosi Collection a couple weeks ago.  Great stuff, if misleadingly named.)

Offline metaldams

Leave it to Metaldams to shoehorn Lugosi into a thread about Margret Dumont  :laugh:.  (BTW, I bought the Boris Karloff Bela Lugosi Collection a couple weeks ago.  Great stuff, if misleadingly named.)

There's not a single moment in life that doesn't deserve an Uncle Bela reference.  Any thought to the contrary is supernatural bologna.

THE BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION would be wonderful if it wasn't a double sided disc.  My copy freezes during the finale of THE BLACK CAT.  This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't one of my favorite movies of all-time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

THE BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION would be wonderful if it wasn't a double sided disc.  My copy freezes during the finale of THE BLACK CAT.  This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't one of my favorite movies of all-time.

Oh yikes.  Hope I don't have the same problem.  I haven't watched my copy of BLACK CAT yet since I watched a rented copy recently.  Double-sided disks really are the worst.  My copy of SON OF DRACULA from the Dracula Collection is completely unplayable. 

[Note to those entering this thread expecting a discussion of Margret Dumont: Despite appearances, the foregoing post is in fact on-topic, as we've been informed that Bela Lugosi was born on the same day as Margret Dumont.]