Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Is SNOW WHITE worth a viewing?

Offline falsealarms

Of all the Stooge films readily available on DVD, SNOW WHITE is the only one I've never seen at all. Its reputation has a lot to do with that -- the film is easy to find extremely cheaply online -- but I've been wondering... is it even worth watching once? The film seems lame/corny but fresh Stooge footage (for me) is appealing. After being pleasantly surprised by L&H's FOX/MGM films, which are largely dismissed, it has gotten me to wonder.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
In short, NO.

More likely than not you will watch it no matter what anybody says (I would too if I were in your shoes) but you will be bored out of your mind. It honestly is a terrible film with no redeeming features whatsoever.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Of all the Stooge films readily available on DVD, SNOW WHITE is the only one I've never seen at all. Its reputation has a lot to do with that -- the film is easy to find extremely cheaply online -- but I've been wondering... is it even worth watching once? The film seems lame/corny but fresh Stooge footage (for me) is appealing. After being pleasantly surprised by L&H's FOX/MGM films, which are largely dismissed, it has gotten me to wonder.

If you must see it, and I don't blame your curiosity, I'd at least try to make sure I don't pay for my first viewing.  Try catching it on TV or the Internet.

I like the L&H Fox films for what they are, but SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES is just plain bad, and unlike the worst Besser shorts, it's not over in 15 minutes.  If you like watching fairy tales and enjoy Olympic figure skating this film is for you.  If you like The Three Stooges, there are better examples. 

Also, in the Fox films, Laurel and Hardy are the actual stars, while The Three Stooges are supporting players in SNOW WHITE and don't have many memorable scenes.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I agree with Metaldams. I know this movie was shown on TV before, so I'd wait and see if you can catch it on TV. I wouldn't pay to watch something like this. Watch it for free, if possible. But I strongly advise that you don't blind buy the DVD.

I got to see if for free, and some of it wasn't bad. But I had to turn the volume down during the musical numbers in order to get all the way through it. You may want to try that.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I got to see if for free, and some of it wasn't bad. But I had to turn the volume down during the musical numbers in order to get all the way through it. You may want to try that.

There's always at least one...no matter what Stooges project is being discussed.

If you have to mute a movie just to get through it said movie is terrible. If I found myself saying "I have to mute this part" I would just stop watching the movie instead. C'mon, admit it: not everything the Stooges touched was gold...you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit...banal cliche...banal cliche.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

This movie was so bad that it wouldn't have made a difference if Curly or Shemp were in it rather than Curly-Joe. The storyline is corny, the musical numbers are boring and the stooges rarely do any slapstick. Yeah, it's bad!! I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Offline middlenamewayne

The best way to amuse yourself while sitting thru this movie is to listen to it thru headphones -- you may notice that it is supposedly in stereophonic sound; what it actually sounds like is some guy had his hand on a pan knob and tried desperately to fiddle around with it and keep the mono soundtrack focused as quickly as possible onto whoever is speaking or whatever is making noise at any given moment!

FYI: The above observation was based on a viewing of the original VHS home video release of the flick back in the late 80s, and refers specifically to the sfx and dialogue. I imagine that the musical numbers are probably in true stereo, since there was a soundtrack LP of this turkey released back in the 60s.

- mnw

There's always at least one...no matter what Stooges project is being discussed.
Always at least one what? Person who defends it?

If you want to call "some of it wasn't bad" a defense, that is...  ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Always at least one what? Person who defends it?

If you want to call "some of it wasn't bad" a defense, that is...  ;)

Pardon my late reply.

I feel that trying to pull anything positive out of "Snow White..." is like trying to pull dried up fecal matter out of an elderly, incontinent dog's ass. I'm not saying you gave the film a ringing endorsement or anything but really...if you're advising someone to mute a good portion of the movie wouldn't you be better off advising them to skip it?

It's the worst Stooges project ever: much worse than something like Sweet and Hot or the talking horse shorts.

if you're advising someone to mute a good portion of the movie wouldn't you be better off advising them to skip it?
Normally, yes. But the Stooges are featured here, after all. I'm sure it's not the only feature film where a dedicated fan might want to see the Stooges' part but skip/mute most of the rest.

It's the worst Stooges project ever: much worse than something like Sweet and Hot or the talking horse shorts.
Yeah, at least those are short.

Offline JazzBill

As bad as this movie was I thought "Kooks Tour" was worse.  [sick]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

I haven't seen SNOW WHITE yet, but KOOKS TOUR was a different animal... being the last thing they did, it's something every Stooge fan should see.

Offline metaldams

I haven't seen SNOW WHITE yet, but KOOKS TOUR was a different animal... being the last thing they did, it's something every Stooge fan should see.

......and forget about shortly after.

Even the worst of the Derita Columbia features are at least tolerable to me, and I even like HERCULES, but SNOW WHITE and KOOKS TOUR, hands down, are the worst Stooge movies ever made.  Absolutely not a single memorable Stooge moment at all.  Period.

- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

As bad as this movie was I thought "Kooks Tour" was worse.  [sick]

Now, I must respectfully disagree with that. While "Kook's Tour" was bad, I would much rather watch that than Snow White.

Now, I must respectfully disagree with that. While "Kook's Tour" was bad, I would much rather watch that than Snow White.
I second that.