Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Popeye

luke795 · 28 · 6006

Offline luke795

Are there any Popeye fans out there?

Offline OldFred

I Yam what I Yam and that's all what I Yam!

[youtube=425,350]FjyoKpuJa38[/youtube]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I loved the early Fleischer Studios Popeye cartoons (pre-World War II) as a kid.  I never cared for the later "Famous Studios" cartoons, when Paramount took over.

Offline Curly4444

I'm also a casual fan. I just couldn't get into them like looney tunes. It was kinda hard to root for an idiot that liked some anorexic,whinny, fickle, ugly woman.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was never a huge Popeye fan. I did watch him as a kid, not to mention the awful live action movie starring Robin Williams, but quickly grew out of him.

Here's a piece of WWII propaganda that rivals "The Yoke's On Me" called "You're A Sap, Mr. Jap".

[youtube=425,350]wEK45-_5y0s[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

As a kid I was a BIG fan, especially the old King Features ones. I have to believe that Popeye was the original inspiration for Shuster and Seigals "Superman". Popeye was indeed a superman after ingesting the vile weed.

I remember reading that in the original comic books there was no spinach, and he was just a brawling, gashouse sailor that had all of his teeth knocked out and one eye gouged out in bar fights!

I just saw the 1st Popeye cartoon again after many years where he cavorts with Betty Boop and a bunch of animal charactors that wore clothes and talked like people. I don't think they made any more cartoons like that....I wish I knew more, but much lore is lost to history.

Got any additional facts, Luke?

Offline SlyVenom

Casual fan here as well. I also enjoyed the live action Robin Williams movie, which most people seem to dislike.

Offline Boid Brain

I think it was Ray Walstons last movie part....Robin was OK in the part, as was Shelly Duvall. But they could have made a better picture.

Offline OldFred

I think it was Ray Walstons last movie part....Robin was OK in the part, as was Shelly Duvall. But they could have made a better picture.

The problem with the Popeye movie was not the cast but the director Robert Altman. Altman has made some really excellent films in the past like 'MASH', 'The Long Goodbye' among others, but he was the wrong director for this movie. The cast gave more than 100% for their efforts in the movie and it shows in their performances.

Offline Boid Brain

The problem with the Popeye movie was not the cast but the director Robert Altman. Altman has made some really excellent films in the past like 'MASH', 'The Long Goodbye' among others, but he was the wrong director for this movie. The cast gave more than 100% for their efforts in the movie and it shows in their performances.
Mash was good, but Altman lost me forever with that turd of a movie "Nashville"...I know it was highly regarded and even won the Oscar (I think) but I just didn't get it! Fucking Henry Gibson from "Laugh In" as a C/W icon??!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A couple of songs (from my Pilsner Downloads collection) which feature Popeye.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Mash was good, but Altman lost me forever with that turd of a movie "Nashville"...I know it was highly regarded and even won the Oscar (I think) but I just didn't get it! Fucking Henry Gibson from "Laugh In" as a C/W icon??!

Nashville was nominated but did not win Best Picture. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest won that year (1975) but Nashville did win for Best Original Song.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ProfessorStooge

I thought the Popeye film was average. Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall did good jobs as Popeye and Olive Oyl. I once read some trivia that their roles were originally offered to Dustin Hoffman and Gilda Radner.

Offline metaldams

I haven't seen the Popeye films since I was probably about 10 years old.  My memory of it so faded all I can say is that I've seen it and it was on some old rusty VHS tape my Mom made.  I guess it didn't make too much of an impression.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I haven't seen the Popeye films since I was probably about 10 years old.  My memory of it so faded all I can say is that I've seen it and it was on some old rusty VHS tape my Mom made.  I guess it didn't make too much of an impression.

Youtube

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've inherited it from my mother's vast DVD collection and all of this talk is making me want to watch it. Like Doug I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember not liking it.

Offline Smaug

Just watch a copy of "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor" (the restored version), and you"ll want to see more. Guaranteed.

Offline QuinceHead

Actually, Ray Walston's last film role was in the movie version of My Favorite Martian (1999).  And he worked steadily on television (especially on Picket Fences) right up until his death on January 1st, 2001.

And count me in as a Popeye fan too -- at least of the original cartoons and EC Segar's comic strip!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Count me as a fan also, please.  Recently purchased all of the Popeye Cartoons; {remakes} from Amazon Marketplace for 2-5 per season.  Regularly watch them.  Remember some of the later ones coming out when I was young.  Thanks.

Hoekstra
Moron4392

Offline Boid Brain

Just watch a copy of "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor" (the restored version), and you"ll want to see more. Guaranteed.
Yep, they went all out on that one...the animation was superb, and it ran 14 minutes, twice the norm....I guess Disney lit a fire under King?

xraffle

I like "Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves" better.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Yep, they went all out on that one...the animation was superb, and it ran 14 minutes, twice the norm....I guess Disney lit a fire under King?

King Features owns the trademark/character "Popeye." They did not produce the theatrical cartoons. *

Fleischer Studios produced the "Popeye" cartoons of 1933 - 1942, distributed thru Paramount. Paramount bought out Fleischer in 1942, and produced the toons under its Famous Studios brand until 1957.

Fleischer is highly regarded for making technical advances in animated films, and lit as many fires under Disney, as Disney did to Fleischer.

* King produced the 1960-1961 made-for-TV limited animation cartoons, but the actual films were created by sub-contracting out to several independent production houses, including Gene Deitch in Europe and Larry Harmon in L.A.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
A bit of a coincidence in regards to the "You're A Sap, Mr. Jap" that I posted earlier in this thread: that is actually the first Famous Studios Popeye cartoon.

xraffle

Casual fan here as well. I also enjoyed the live action Robin Williams movie, which most people seem to dislike.

I’m probably going to regret this, but I just bought the Robin Williams movie during my lunch hour today. The DVD was on sale at J&R for only $4.79, so I figured what the heck! I only watched it once when I was a kid and I thought it was ok. I’m not sure what I’ll think of it now. I’ll just have to find out and see.