Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Haxan

Liz · 6 · 1670

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
It was made in the same year as Nosferatu, but it has nothing on it.  Watch around a few minutes after 5:60. [yikes]

[youtube=425,350]SSBQe_zHgAQ&[/youtube]

Funny thing is, this was billed as a documentary, but looks like a horror film.  Today's hi-I'm-a-modern-horror-film-that-fails-at-being-scary horror movies have nothing on this.  If you're brave enough, watch the whole thing.  
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

I've always wanted to see this movie.  Thanks for posting this, I'll check this out tomorrow morning.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

That was great!  If I get a chance, I'm going to have to either get myself a copy or save a little coin and watch the whole thing on youtube.

Visually, silent films are the best, and this is a great example.  The different colored tintings and use of shadows is really beautiful.

The funny thing is I've seen a good amount of foreign horror related silent films, but never HAXAN, and it's one of the more famous examples.

Liz, if you like HAXAN, you should check out FAUST if you haven't already.

[youtube=425,350]f2bK-v15i9s[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Thanks for posting that, Metal.  Interesting concept for a (for most people) cliche good vs. evil theme.  And I see it was directed by F.W. Murnau, who directed Nosferatu back in 1922.  I've only seen just that clip, but the story does remind me of Milton's Paradise Lost[/u] (battle between good and evil, etc.) 
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

Thanks for posting that, Metal.  Interesting concept for a (for most people) cliche good vs. evil theme.  And I see it was directed by F.W. Murnau, who directed Nosferatu back in 1922.  I've only seen just that clip, but the story does remind me of Milton's Paradise Lost[/u] (battle between good and evil, etc.) 

I actually took an entire class on PARADISE LOST in college!

Most German silent films have servicable stories, but they aren't exactly CASABLANCA as far as storytelling goes.  Visually though, those films are amazing. 

I have a Borders gift card and was kind of hoping I'd find Haxan in there the other day because of this clip.  Of course, no such luck.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
I actually took an entire class on PARADISE LOST in college!
I'm an English major in preparation for my teaching credentials, and I believe we have to take a class on Milton's works with special focus on Paradise Lost[/u].  I've been excited to read it ever since one of my friends did a book report on it in sixth grade.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!