Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Retired Old Men Eating Out

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Gary Lassin, the Fan Club and Stoogeum's exhausted leader, passed along this interesting news article...

ROMEO, a.k.a. Retired Old Men Eating Out is a group of retired Hollywood producers, directors, etc., who meet for lunch once a week at Art's Delicatessen in Studio City CA. The article [see link] ran recently in a neighborhood Studio City newspaper.

One of the ROMEOs is Abby Singer, a production assistant at Columbia Studios from the late 1940s to mid-1950s, including Assistant Director on some Three Stooges shorts. After Columbia, Mr. Singer went on to bigger things... you may recognize his name from the closing credits of many MTM Enterprises series in the '70s & '80s. He was a Producer / Executive Producer for THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, THE BOB NEWHART SHOW, THE WHITE SHADOW, WKRP IN CINCINNATI, HILL STREET BLUES, REMINGTON STEELE, ST. ELSEWHERE, and others.

A couple years ago, a few Three Stooges Journal staffers (Gary, Frank Reighter, Jim Pauley and myself) were on a research/fun trip to L.A. and had lunch at Art's Deli with Leonard Maltin. It happened to be a Thursday, the guys were there, and Leonard told us the story of ROMEO. We had an opportunity to briefly exchange pleasantries Mr. Singer; unfortunately, the Stooges were a very small (and technical) part of his career, and he had no stories to share with us.

Regardless, it was a pleasure to meet him. The article is a nice recollection for myself, and some of you might enjoy it too.

Abby Singer, first on the left (photo from the newspaper article)...

Offline Rich Finegan

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.
But it could have been mentioned that another of those guys also worked with The Three Stooges.
Mitchell Gamson was Assistant Director on three of the Joe Besser Stooges shorts.

http://threestooges.net/crew.php?id=373

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
But it could have been mentioned that another of those guys also worked with The Three Stooges. Mitchell Gamson was Assistant Director on three of the Joe Besser Stooges shorts.

http://threestooges.net/crew.php?id=373

My oversight...

Mr. Gamson, from left - right, is [front] right...

In addition to the link and your sarcasm, perhaps you have some constructive information about Mr. Gamson to share?

Offline garystooge

In Brent's defense, I don't recall Gamson being there the day we met these guys.  And if he was, it was such an event-filled trip that it would be easy to forget.  For a nostalgic reminder, here's the Journal in which I recounted all the gory details of our 2008 Stooges trip (see pages 4 thru 7).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline falsealarms

Yes, all you non-subscribers, check out that full copy of a 3 Stooges Journal... you should then run and subscribe

Offline Rich Finegan

In addition to the link and your sarcasm, perhaps you have some constructive information about Mr. Gamson to share?
What sarcasm? I just made a statement. Sorry if it was misunderstood.

Offline Curly4444

Offline garystooge

1-Abby Singer (asst. director on some 1950's Stooges shorts)
2-Bill Beaudine
3-Bob Rosenbaum
4-Art Marks
5-Jon Andersen
6-Mitch Gamson (asst. director for 3 of the Besser shorts

Offline Boid Brain

What sarcasm? I just made a statement. Sorry if it was misunderstood.
I was wondering what he was referring to myself. ::)

Offline metaldams

5-Jon Andersen

Appropriate he's sitting close to the edge.   [pie]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Appropriate he's sitting close to the edge.   [pie]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I get it!
Great album!

Offline metaldams

I get it!
Great album!

I agree, that is a great album.

I had a surreal experience with my Aunt a few years ago.  She's mainly a pop fan, so I was really shocked when her and I were singing the "I get up, I get down" part together.  Apparantly she had a boyfriend or something who listened to it in college.

We'll have to start that 70's thread soon.
- Doug Sarnecky