Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Movie Quizzola

Offline Boid Brain

I asked this one in a long lost thread and nobody viewed it...so here it is....Cagney, Neville Brand and Ward Bond...name the movie...attn Dunrobin: you are the only dude on this site with even a ghost of a chance to get this one....NO GOOGLING! Be a man and question me if needed be for more clues...

OH! I never gave a clue...this movie was not a western. Go from there....another clue: there was an actress in this movie that would have been the next Janet Leigh..beautiful gal with great acting chops...but she was a hose monster, and loved heroin too...what was a great book written in the 40s became this movie....it was ground breaking in many ways

thats all the clues for now, Mr Robin!

Offline Boid Brain

25 views and no guesses yet. One more clue: It was the 1st movie where the words "Transcendental Meditation" was uttered.

Offline Rich Finegan

I'll take a guess.
First, when you say James Cagney & Ward Bond together I think of an older movie, but adding Neville Brand it has to be post-late 1940's or so. So the only one I can think of right away is "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" (1950).

But I must say, sometimes your clues are more confusing than helpful (what in the world does "hose monster" mean?? I've never heard that before!)(And your clue about a book written in the 1940's makes no sense to me).

But anyway I think I got the right movie.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm guessing "hose monster" means she had affinity for penis.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Rich Finegan

Gee, thanks, I think.
Now, can I go back to not knowing?

Offline Boid Brain

Gee, thanks, I think.
Now, can I go back to not knowing?
He's right. Hose monster is a sex crazed woman. Barbara Peyton was unabashedly that. She started by screwing the producers and word got around. She had only made a couple of B movies when the word got around to Cagney's brother, who nailed her and cast her in Cagney's next movie, the female LEAD in Kiss tomorrow goodbye.

She did not stop there though, she continued her sex crazed ways until Hollywood Confidential blew the whistle. It was in regard to her tryst with the older Franchot tone, I believe. The good roles dried up and after a few more B movies she gradually became a Hollywood prostitute, a junkie and died way to young, in her 30's if memory serves. I don't remember what killed her, overdose or some related disease or a brutal beating by a pimp, which happened plenty.

The book was written by Horace McCoy. Remember "They shoot Horses, Don't They?" He wrote that novel too. Cagney read "Kiss" and decided to change his mind about giving up gangster movies. The gangster Ralph Cotter was an Ivy League gangster by choice, quite a switch from the WOPS, Bonnie and Clyde/Baby Faced Nelsons and the rest.

It is to this day my favorite gangster film, and there have been a ton of good ones!

Offline Rich Finegan

It is to this day my favorite gangster film, and there have been a ton of good ones!

I like it too. It's a good one.

Offline Boid Brain

I went searching for a film clip of Barbara Peyton but had no luck. But I found this piece titled "Bad Blonde". Man, she was a bigger slut job than I though!http://www.filmfax.com/archives/bad_blonde/barbara_payton.html

Offline Boid Brain

Will some of you smart guys find and post some Peyton stuff? Video's, I mean.

Offline JazzBill

Here, have some Peyton.

[youtube=425,350]gp_HnAjFyDU[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Here, have some Peyton.

[youtube=425,350]gp_HnAjFyDU[/youtube]

Great minds think alike, 'cause you beat me to it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Not funny, Boys...if you can't help me with the Bad Blonde, then spare me the bullshit.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Not funny, Boys...if you can't help me with the Bad Blonde, then spare me the bullshit.

Or you could drop the snotty, arrogant attitude - which is really getting old - and try doing your own research for a change.  You have heard of Google, haven't you?   ::)

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Or you could drop the snotty, arrogant attitude - which is really getting old - and try doing your own research for a change.  You have heard of Google, haven't you?   ::)
My thoughts exactly, Rob.   
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Boid Brain

I did not realize that I was being arrogant...I went back and read about 30 of my posts and saw nothing arrogant. But I guess it's all subjective. Sorry if it came off that way.

And I DID search for Barb Peyton stuff but could find no moving images of her. I'm new to the internet and have quite a bit more to learn. I will try to do better.