The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

60's Music Thread

metaldams · 160 · 34588

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The song I posted, "Surf's Up," is what I consider to be Brain Wilson's masterpiece alongside "God Only Knows."  Listen to those vocal harmonies towards the end of the song again, tell me that doesn't give you chills.

I'm listening to it as I'm posting this and I think you setting expectations way too high by putting it up there with "God Only Knows" which is their best song and one of the best songs of all time. That's not to say "Surf's Up" is bad, in fact it's quite good, but it doesn't approach "God Only Knows".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline vomit

Offline falsealarms

Upon further listening, SURF'S UP is better than initially thought. I see what Metaldams means about the end.

Offline falsealarms

I can't stop listening to SURF'S UP now. I've listened to it at least a dozen times in the past two days. Amazing how much a second listen to this song changed my feelings about it.

Offline metaldams

I'm listening to it as I'm posting this and I think you setting expectations way too high by putting it up there with "God Only Knows" which is their best song and one of the best songs of all time. That's not to say "Surf's Up" is bad, in fact it's quite good, but it doesn't approach "God Only Knows".

I just saw this post now!  Late to the party, I guess.

I've been listening to the song "Surf's Up" for years as it's been released previously (it's actually the title track of their 1971 album).  While I realize it does not have the cultural impact of "God Only Knows," to my personal tastes, I think it's as good, and this is coming from somebody who's lived with the song for a while.  They're my two favorite Beach Boys songs.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I can't stop listening to SURF'S UP now. I've listened to it at least a dozen times in the past two days. Amazing how much a second listen to this song changed my feelings about it.

The White Album didn't do much for me on first listen, now it's my favorite Beatles album.  A lot of times songs need to grow, especially stuff with depth.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

This song's WAY heavier in mono.  Listening to the original UK sequenced Mono version of ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? on youtube, quite cool.

"I Don't Live Today"

.......and this is how you cover Jr. Walker and the All-Stars, Vanilla Fudge doing "Shotgun"
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

Here's one of my all-time favorite one-hit wonders.  It's "Psychotic Reaction" by the Count Five, released in 1966.  This is 1960s garage-rock at its finest.  Enjoy.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Speakng of one-hit wonders, here's another I truely love.  It's a great surf/pop song titled "New York's a Lonely Town" by the Trade Winds, released in 1965.  Boy, I sure do love this song!

Radio station KRLA in, of course, Los Angeles had some fun with this record.  Here's the studio version, but with a twist.  Pay close attention to the second verse.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline RICO987

It did not chart as high as "New York's a Lonely Town", but "Mind Excursion" could also be considered a "Hit" for The Tradewinds:

http://youtu.be/WFCMhe-0uzA