Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

60's Music Thread

metaldams · 160 · 34835

Offline metaldams

I agree, Odessey and Oracle is excellent!  "Care of Cell 44" is one of those perfect pop songs.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I can't believe I forgot about this one. This is when the Stones really were the "bad boys" of rock & roll.

[youtube=425,350]tiMMGC706SU[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I love to meditate to these three classics.  They really help to calm me down, not to mention they are fantastic songs.  I listen to "Ferry Cross the Mersey" when I need to be reminded how wonderful and beautiful New Hampshire is and how shitty California is.

[youtube=425,350]3QCZ_bv9aLc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]juzm3BRksf0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]loyRYFUYg9g[/youtube]
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]bkm1efUhGJ4[/youtube]

"Back Street Girl" (Mono)

[youtube=425,350]S8jE0RFDYMY[/youtube]

"Miss Amanda Jones"

It makes perfect sense the guy posting the most extreme metal in the 80's thread prefers this poppy Stones album.  I'm a BETWEEN THE BUTTONS sucker, what can I say?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I finally heard The Pretty Things S.F. SORROW yesterday and it is one awesome piece of music.  I'll need to get myself a copy, and I'll only play a couple of tracks, which will give a sample of this album, but you really need to hear the whole thing to do it justice.  This is the first concept album, so TOMMY fans take note.

[youtube=425,350]cirh93W-XxI[/youtube]

S.F. SORROW IS BORN

[youtube=425,350]Knq7bbzSui8[/youtube]

OLD MAN GOING

Is anybody else here a fan of this album?
- Doug Sarnecky

Dog Hambone

Before the 1960s music thread gets too far back in the queue, let's not forget this little gem:

[youtube=425,350]hnzHtm1jhL4[/youtube]

I owned the 45 rpm record of this one, and on the flip side was the entire song played backwards.   

Offline Rich Finegan

Before the 1960s music thread gets too far back in the queue, let's not forget this little gem:

And don't forget the sequel / answer song: "I'm Normal" by The Emperor.
Yes, like many popular novelty songs, just when the original starts to finally fade away a few months later someone comes up with an answer song.
Here it is:

Both sides of the 45 are written by someone named Bob Hudson. So perhaps he is The Emperor.
The 45 came out on two different labels:
Current #111
and
RPR #106.

Offline Rich Finegan

I owned the 45 rpm record of this one, and on the flip side was the entire song played backwards.   
Yes, and even all the printing on the label was also reversed.

The performer's real name was Jerry Samuels.

Dog Hambone

Yes, and even all the printing on the label was also reversed.

The performer's real name was Jerry Samuels.

And here it is, courtesy of YouTube:
[youtube=425,350]L47GQG12WHg[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

DONOVAN - CATCH THE WIND

[youtube=425,350]IjIqVL7G-CI[/youtube]

This song is currently all the rage for me.

Offline Curly4444

Great song falsealarms. He sounds kinda like Bob Dylan.

Offline falsealarms

Great song, indeed. I can see the Dylan comparisons. I think this one is great too --

AMERICA - SIMON AND GARFUNKEL

[youtube=425,350]W773ZPJhcVw[/youtube]

Offline LoU fRoM pRiSoN

First off, "Omaha": one of the great songs of the late 60's by ANYBODY!  Failed as a Billboard Hot 100 song due to the fact that Columbia released the whole album at one time to radio as singles.  Epic fail.  Well, not Epic.  Columbia.

Secondly, Status Quo.  There is SO much more to them than "Pictures Of Matchstick Men".  Go check out "Down The Dustpipe", "Ice In The Sun", "Paradise Flat", "The Clown", "Velvet Curtains", "Josie", "Are You Growing Tired Of My Love?" and "Mr. Mind Detector".

Thirdly, Bubblegum Music.  I'll take the quarterly royalty check from "Sugar Sugar" ANY day!

Fourthly, The Move.  Go dig up the "Shazam!" album.  Many of you may realize that they became ELO and Roy Wood's Wizzard, but may not know how great of a band they really were...

Offline falsealarms

Not sure how I missed it before, but I listened to HAVING A PARTY by Sam Cooke.... what an awesome song. Especially the lines about the cokes in the icebox and the popcorn on the table :)

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]DIdqVAG2J7o[/youtube]

Roy Orbison - "Crawling Back"

One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard in my life.  What a voice!

[youtube=425,350]DZ4xALSUysc[/youtube]

Roy Orbison - "Only the Lonely"

...and something a little more famous, and just as good.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I SAW HER AGAIN - MAMAS AND THE PAPAS

[youtube=400,350]9zBMK5OAGyE[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:02:31 PM by falsealarms »

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]NFkkdmMgmpY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Q-0OSK9UK7M[/youtube]

Two more.

Offline metaldams

You know, for most of the decade, Elvis stunk, but he did make a great comeback later in the decade, and in 1969, recorded my favorite song of his.  I'll start a 50's thread soon, I'm sure he'll show up there.

[youtube=425,350]fiwdhmf7JSw[/youtube]

"Long Black Limousine"
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's my favorite Elvis tune, then could make great music when he wanted to.

[youtube=425,350]e-NDXtDUcGQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:21:37 PM by Dunrobin »
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I start a 50's thread and realize I gotta post my favorite Chuck Berry song in the 60's thread, as it's a '64 track.  This is a very romantic song, I hope you all enjoy.

[youtube=425,350]5l2iCYLRjqI[/youtube]

I Want To Be Your Driver
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]ySjxZDT_5SA[/youtube]

Jimmy Durante introducing The Grass Roots.

Offline falsealarms

Offline metaldams

The Laurel and Hardy box is a major event for comedy, but for music, a major music release has happened, and I ain't talking Lulu (blech!).  The Beach Boys finally released as close of a 1967 version of SMILE as we're ever going to get, and it's pretty awesome.  I don't own a physical copy, but I've been listening to the proper 19 song album (in Mono, baby) on Rhapsody non-stop, and it does compare very well to PET SOUNDS.  Has anybody checked it out yet?

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

That track isn't bad, but I agree this doesn't compare well to PET SOUNDS (not like much really does). One track that stood out to me is WONDERFUL, track 9 on disc 1 I believe (I'm listening on Spotify). Vega-Table is kind of corny lyrically, but it sounds pretty nice.

Yet to listen to a lot of this thing.

Offline metaldams

That track isn't bad, but I agree this doesn't compare well to PET SOUNDS (not like much really does). One track that stood out to me is WONDERFUL, track 9 on disc 1 I believe (I'm listening on Spotify). Vega-Table is kind of corny lyrically, but it sounds pretty nice.

Yet to listen to a lot of this thing.

The song I posted, "Surf's Up," is what I consider to be Brain Wilson's masterpiece alongside "God Only Knows."  Listen to those vocal harmonies towards the end of the song again, tell me that doesn't give you chills.
- Doug Sarnecky