Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

60's Music Thread

metaldams · 160 · 34507

Offline metaldams

Post cool music clips from the 60's here.  I just found this little slice of awesomeness.  It's Cream performing "Spoonful."  That's a young Eric Clapton on guitar, but all three of these guys are great, and as a bassist, I bow to Jack Bruce.  Watching him really inspires me.

[youtube=425,350]sf2tJkkYpmg[/youtube]

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

God! Cream , like the Hendricks Experience were so overated to me. Too much fucking drums and too much screaming to compensate for the lack of instruments in the band. I would rather listen to the fucking Dave Clark 5 than this bilge! >:(

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's something a little more your speed Boid:

[youtube=425,350]rCZO9xeYA8g[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

God! Cream , like the Hendricks Experience were so overated to me. Too much fucking drums and too much screaming to compensate for the lack of instruments in the band. I would rather listen to the fucking Dave Clark 5 than this bilge! >:(

Lack of instruments?  Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience (I'll need to check out this Hendricks band sometime) were a rhythm guitar short The Beatles and Stones, but their loudness, virtusoisty, and improvisational abilities more than made up for it.  There's also no such thing as too much drums.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garystooge

Too much fucking drums and too much screaming

Too much screaming?  Dude, Jack Bruce was one of the great voices of rock.  In fact he was so good that Eric Clapton, an excellent vocalist in his own right, was only the "B" singer in that group. I just watched that video twice, it was that good.  Thanks for posting Metal. And I don't think the lack of instruments hurt Hendrix or Cream. Remember, the Stooges did just fine without a Zeppo.

Offline garystooge

For me, this was the first heavy metal band  (BOID-please do not watch....it's a trio with lots of drums and screaming and some flying hair to boot)

Never posted a youtube video before so I hope this works

[youtube=425,350]nU5uDozoSSM[/youtube]

Edit:  I fixed it for you, Gary.   - Rob
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:53:30 PM by Dunrobin »

Offline metaldams

For me, this was the first heavy metal band  (BOID-please do not watch....it's a trio with lots of drums and screaming and some flying hair to boot)

Hey, glad you enjoyed the clip.  I watched it twice myself and had to pick up my bass immediately afterwards!

Blue Cheer are what I classify as proto-metal (along with Cream, Hendrix, Vanilla Fudge, early Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck Group, and probably a few others I'm missing).  All that stuff had elements of metal, like loud guitars and heavy rhythm sections, but there was also a jam element to them.  Black Sabbath and Deep Purple in their more focused moments (namely the IN ROCK album, which was about ten years ahead of it's time) are what I consider to be the first true heavy metal, but of course, these things are based on personal opinion.  There are some people who consider the first true metal Judas Priest and only consider Dio Sabbath relevant, but I'd never go that far.

Blue Cheer is cool, though.  I do have VINCEBUS ERUPTUM and OUTSIDEINSIDE.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Jim, I know you have Rod Stewart as an MST inductee, but this wasn't always the case, and here's the proof.

"Shape of Things" with The Jeff Beck Group.  I had trouble finding actual live footage, sadly, of the original Rod Stewart era, but here's footage instead with the studio version over it.  Obviously Jeff Beck on guitar, and the bass player is some guy named Ron Wood. From 1968.

[youtube=425,350]5SwoVHhidxk[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]Mb3iPP-tHdA[/youtube]

A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum

Offline Curly4444

One of the best one hit wonders.  [cool]

Offline falsealarms

OMAHA by MOBY GRAPE, 1968

[youtube=425,350]c_FlNwQlBmU[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No no, THIS is Rod Stewart: butchering the standards!

[youtube=425,350]anYVUkySEok[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline RICO987

OMAHA by MOBY GRAPE, 1968

[youtube=425,350]c_FlNwQlBmU[/youtube]

Wow, thanks for that post.  I always loved that song - I cannot remember ever hearing it in stereo either.  Great sound from You Tube on that one!

Offline RICO987

Another great song from the 60s.  I saw the version of the group that was around in 1978 at a nightclub in Campbell (San Jose), CA called the Bodega.  I see some sources on the web indicate the band never made it out of the rehearsal studio in 1978-79, but I am 99% certain it was 1978 when I saw them.  They were based in San Francisco, so maybe playing a nightclub in the south bay was part of their "rehearsals". 

In any event, they put on a fantastic show playing Summertime Blues twice - it was the opening and the closing song.  Their entire set was really good which surprised me because I thought they were two-hit wonders.  (I still own Summertime Blues & Fool on 45).  And seeing them in the close quarters of a small nightclub made the experience better still.

Offline Rich Finegan

For me, this was the first heavy metal band  (BOID-please do not watch....it's a trio with lots of drums and screaming and some flying hair to boot).

Gary and metaldams (and any other Blue Cheer fan):
While I like a good loud rocker as much as the next guy (well move over and let me talk to the next guy...or whatever Groucho said...) some of my favorites by rock groups are their less rockin', more accoustic songs. Those with melodies and good tunes. Such as "Stairway to Heaven" and "Free Bird" (even if they tend to get over-played). (And I know I don't need to identify the performers on those two!)

For Blue Cheer, this, to me, is their "Stairway to Heaven":
(From their 1971 album "Oh! Pleasant Hope").
Back then I was much more a collector of 45's than LP's and kept hoping this song would come out on a single. When it never did (and what a missed opportunity by the record label...coulda been a hit!) I had to buy the album. Still have it, of course!

&NR=1

I have also never posted a YouTube video, so I hope this will work.
If you weren't familiar with this one before, what did you think of it?

Offline Boid Brain

Blue Cheer??! I heard those Motherfuckers at a fucking Carnival on Mescalin in 1969, and I admit that they were better than Hendricks and Cream.

I won't argue that Bruce and Clapton were good singers...they were....but the stress of making a cheap 3 piece band sound good was too much! All 3 sucked compared to 4 and 5 piece bands!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This video is probably fabricated from the TV appearance, because the tune still contains the loud inhale halfway through the song that grocery store and elevator versions have deleted, and also sounds like the screams and squeals are intentionally placed. By the way, bands that wore suits and ties never impressed me, but these guys look good.

[youtube=425,350]Kjp0EhQCFM0?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
And forgive me Stooge friends ... a tune I played all during my years in high school. (It was an "oldie" then ... remember that in the seventies and "oldie" was a song that was at least ten years old)
[youtube=425,350]bsbO5NnuBlQ?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Did the seventies coin the term "oldie" ... hhmmm.

Offline Rich Finegan

And forgive me Stooge friends ... a tune I played all during my years in high school. (It was an "oldie" then ... remember that in the seventies and "oldie" was a song that was at least ten years old)
I got that 45 when it was new (summer 1968). "The Horse" by Cliff Nobles and Company.
"The Horse" was actually intended to be the the B-side. The A-side was a vocal selection called "Love Is All Right" and for the B-side (as was often the practice with this record label) they used the instrumental track of the A-side. In this case they called it "The Horse" and although it was the B-side that was the side all the radio stations chose to play. So this was the hit side.

The group's follow-up 45 a few months later was an answer song to the early summer 1968 novelty/comedy hit "Here Comes the Judge" by Motown artist Shorty Long. It was called "Judge Baby, I'm Back" and again the B-side was the instrumental track to it. Perhaps anticipating that this side may also become the hit side, like "The Horse" did, the title they chose for this instrumental was "Horse Fever" so it could be considered a sort of sequel to the hit "The Horse". Sure enough the B-side got the airplay and the single became a moderate-size hit, not as big as "The Horse". What's pretty funny about "Horse Fever" is that if one listens very closely to it the vocal track that was supposed to have been mixed out can still be heard very faintly.

Continuing with the animals theme for their song titles a later single was called "The Camel". But that was it for them. No more big hits.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
From the last of couple of posts ... you poor late born children have to deal with "messed with" versions of original '60s and 70's tunes. Like the tune "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells with the wonderful guitar interlude immersed in the song strangely deleted from your ears.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Nice to know "The Horse" was actually a camel ...

Offline metaldams

Nice videos, guys.  I've always loved "A Whiter Shade of Pale."  The Zombies are cool too.

Rich, that is a real cool Blue Cheer song.  A bit more mellow than what I'm used to from them, but I can dig it.  Interesting instrumentation, too.  Unless if my ears are lying to me, that sounds like a sitar, and I also here something that sounds like a theremin in the background, which is most famous from "Good Vibrations."  If these instruments aren't being used, it sure sounds like it.

OK, here's another cool, one.  While my favorite Jethro Tull tends to be their mid-70's stuff, I've always liked this 1969 track from the STAND UP album, which incorporates Ian Anderson's flute, a cool bass solo, and Bach.  "Bouree."

[youtube=425,350]W37x7lNP4DY[/youtube]

Anybody into The Pretty Things?  I've been meaning to check them out.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

From the last of couple of posts ... you poor late born children have to deal with "messed with" versions of original '60s and 70's tunes. Like the tune "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells with the wonderful guitar interlude immersed in the song strangely deleted from your ears.
Love that long version! That's one where I get furious at oldies radio stations who play the single (short, edited) version and want to ring them up and yell at them "If you're not going to play the complete version you shouldn't play it at all!"

Although more of a 45's guy back when "Crimson and Clover" came out (December 1968) I did get the "Crimson and Clover" album just to get the long version of that song. And it turned out that all of the rest of the album was good, too. One song included was the original Tommy James version of "Sugar On Sunday", a song that became a hit later in 1969 by the group The Clique.

I was glad to see the song "Crimson and Clover" become such a big hit in early 1969. The previous two Tommy James & the Shondells singles ("Do Something To Me" and "Somebody Cares") flopped (at least on Boston station WRKO where they were played as "Hitbounds" and then never even made the Top 30 surveys). I even recall some of the DJ's commenting at the time when playing them that the group was slipping and that their hit-making days could be over. Then "Crimson and Clover" came out and started a whole new string of hits for Tommy and his Shondells.    

Offline garystooge

One of the best one hit wonders

great song but that group is not a one-hit wonder by any means...Procol Harum had lots of great tunes & albums and is still touring today....