Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THOSE CRAZY EIGHTS! MST IV ROUND 5 RESULTS & ROUND 6 MATCHES

Offline metaldams

Below are the Round 5 Results, winners in caps.

1. In the Sweet Pie and Pie (1941) VS. 20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940) 7 - 10
67. THEY STOOGE TO CONGA (1943) VS. 49. Dutiful But Dumb (1941) 11 - 6
43. Three Dark Horses (1952) VS. 16. THREE LITTLE BEERS (1935) 7 - 10
6. WHO DONE IT? (1949) VS. 15. Micro-Phonies (1945) 14 - 3
36. Violent Is The Word For Curly (1938) VS. 94. THE SITTER-DOWNERS (1937) 5 - 12
85. Scrambled Brains (1951) VS. 103. BRIDELESS GROOM (1947) 7 - 10
4. A PLUMBING WE WILL GO (1940) VS. 22. Tassels In the Air (1938) 13 - 4
7. Hoi Polloi (1935) VS. 25. AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941) 8 - 9

Two past winners still remain, including AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE and the defending champ, WHO DONE IT?  Will we have a repeat, or will there be a new champ?  Below are the round 6 match-ups. 

20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940) VS. 67. THEY STOOGE TO CONGA (1943)
16. THREE LITTLE BEERS (1935) VS. 6. WHO DONE IT? (1949)
94. THE SITTER-DOWNERS (1937) VS. 103. BRIDELESS GROOM (1947)
4. A PLUMBING WE WILL GO (1940) VS. 25. AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941)

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

THEY STOOGE TO CONGA
THREE LITTLE BEERS
THE SITTER-DOWNERS
A PLUMBING WE WILL GO
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940)
16. THREE LITTLE BEERS (1935)
103. BRIDELESS GROOM (1947)
4. A PLUMBING WE WILL GO (1940)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Conga
Who?
Brideless
Plumbing (tough because both shorts are overrated)
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Stooge

20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940)
6. WHO DONE IT? (1949)
25. AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940)
94. THE SITTER-DOWNERS (1937)

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940)
6. WHO DONE IT? (1949)
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Is there any way both "Plumbing" and "Ache" can lose? There are so many shorts that are better than those two.

Perhaps I've been hanging around these websites too long, but it's almost come to point that I can't stand either short, and I think part of it is due to your tourneys! Thanks Doug!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Frankly Jim, I don't get it.  Plumbing has never won for one thing, while WHO DONE IT, has.  I can understand you thinking they are overrated, but disliking them because other people think higher of them than you?  I am tired of seeing WHO DONE IT getting so high because I think there are better shorts, as good as it is (DOPEY DICKS and CORNY CASANOVAS, for starters, are among my favorite Shemps, and it always disappoints me seeing average Curly shorts eliminate them), but I still like WHO DONE IT and vote for it when I truly think it's the better short.  Oh well, to each their own.

My MST IV prediction, by the way, is BRIDELESS GROOM.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Re: Who Done It?, I agree. It is overrated, but I think it has been very lucky thus far in that it hasn't faced much competition. It's certainly better than Three Little Beers, another overrated short.

In fact, looking at the 8 remaining, there are only three that I consider "great" or "top-notch" shorts: Brideless Groom, You Nazty Spy, and They Stooge To Conga. Maybe I'm crotchety in my old age, but I am tired of folks going ga-ga over slightly-above-average-at-best shorts. Personally I would love to see Conga vs Brideless in the finals, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Most likely it will be the Plumbing/Ache winner against Beers. What pisses me off is that the Stooges (with both Curly and Shemp) have made so many great shorts that constantly get overlooked for these milquetoast shorts (especially Ache, a short I have never liked). How about Playing The Ponies, Hoi Polloi, Malice In The Palice, Hula-La-La, Fright Night etc.?

As for your prediction, I don't see it happening. Brideless is having trouble with The Sitter-Downers...The Sitter-Downers!

Offline metaldams

"How about Playing The Ponies, Hoi Polloi, Malice In The Palice, Hula-La-La, Fright Night etc.? "

None of those shorts are bad, but PLAYING THE PONIES has never been one of my favorites.  HOI POLLOI, on the other hand, is number two all-time for me, and is always a popular short with others.  Basically, there are seven shorts which almost always get high in these tournaments:  A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, HOI POLLOI, THREE LITTLE BEERS, DISORDER IN THE COURT, BRIDELESS GROOM, and WHO DONE IT, though I am SHOCKED DISORDER IN THE COURT lost so early, but hey, it won the entire first tournament.  Basically, those are the seven shorts which more or less get all the praise, on Stooge boards, at least.  Critics are sometimes another thing when they actually turn off their snob meter and admit The Three Stooges exist.  Leonard Maltin called MICRO-PHONIES the greatest short (a worthy contender in my mind), and some magazine article I read recently (forget the name of the magazine and am too lazy to find the article) said HOI POLLOI was the greatest Stooge short, so I guess that conforms with the boards "magic seven."  For the early shorts, it seems a lot of critics think the best era of Stooge shorts started when Del Lord started directing with POP GOES THE EASEL.

A PLUMBING WE WILL GO deserves all the praise it gets because it has the Stooges as inept blue collar workers destroying a high society home....always one of their best scenarios.  It also has arguably the greatest supporting player performance ever in a Stooge short from Dudley Dickerson, definitely Curly's best performance, and the most brilliant editing of any Stooge short.  Those are the reasons why I love it, at least.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hoi Polloi is popular, but not as popular as it should be as far as I'm concerned. It definately should have gotten in over Ache. Others I can think of that get overlooked are Goof On The Roof, Uncivil Warriors (as opposed to Uncivil Warbirds, which is trash), both "Dizzy" shorts, and of course the two you mentioned previously, Corny Casanovas and Dopey Dicks.

Plumbing is good, but overrated. Ache, on the other hand, is a really flat short that should be ousted out of the first round.

Offline Baggie

Everyone has their favourites and that's what the competition is all about. I have a soft spot for Ache because I grew up watching it, so I won't slag it off, but some shorts are a lot better than it and haven't made the final eight. I've never liked Plumbing all that much, I would much rather watch Vagabond Loafers. I also think Beers is overrated. The three shorts I would most like to have made it which didn't were Scrambled Brains, Uncivil Warriors and of course Pop Goes The Easel, but obviously other people didn't want them here as much so that's that.
 Anyhow, here are my choices:-

20. YOU NAZTY SPY (1940)
6. WHO DONE IT? (1949)  I think this is a DAMN good short, and not really overrated at all.
94. THE SITTER-DOWNERS (1937) I love Brideless Groom, but I want Sitter Downers to win, being a bit of an underdog.
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That's not a good reason to vote for Sitter-Downers. If you honestly think it is a better short, then you should vote for it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Good Lawd, most of these are really close. C'mon folks, get off your asses and vote. Let's make Doug work (and kill off Ache).

I've never liked Plumbing all that much, I would much rather watch Vagabond Loafers.

How can you like Vagabond but not like Plumbing? They are essentially the same short, just different third Stooges. I think Vagabond is as good as Plumbing, due to the refreshing Shemp aspect. If it's not  "as good as" then it's slightly lesser than Plumbing.

Offline Baggie

I prefer Shemp to Curly in that particular instance. You're right it is the same short essentially, just with a different 3rd Stooge, and in my personal opinion Shemp did it better.
 I found choosing betwen Brideless Groom and The Sitter Downers really hard, but I've gone off Brideless Groom at the moment, so The Sitter Downers it is.

Offline metaldams

LET'S GO PLUMBING! (Clap Clap) BY GAWD, PLUMBING IS TORTURING THE CHAMP!  FINALLY, BY GAWD, FINALLY, AFTER A  65 YEAR JOURNEY, CONTINENT AFTER CONTINENT, MILE AFTER MILE, PLUMBING HAS WON AN MST!  Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Seriously, great to see all this conversation, it makes the tournament more interesting, and yes, most of these pairings are close after 12 votes.  You people who aren't voting, vote.  Seriously, or I'll go Robert Tilton on your ass with a sermon you'll never forget, and I don't want to type in tounges.  You people who are voting, keep up the voting in future rounds, and thanks.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I found choosing betwen Brideless Groom and The Sitter Downers really hard, but I've gone off Brideless Groom at the moment, so The Sitter Downers it is.

I love Brideless Groom - it's one of my favorite Shemp episodes - but The Sitter-Downers was actually an easy choice for me.  Sitter-Downers is a Larry masterpiece, if for no other reason than that he gets away with dogging Moe time and time again.  Larry gets in some really great abuse, too; watch him as he goes to whale away on Moe with the 2 x 4, when Moe's finger is stuck in the faucet!
[stooges] 

Offline Waldo Twitchell

67. THEY STOOGE TO CONGA (1943)

'Conga' all the way!

Offline metaldams

I agree about THE SITTER DOWNERS, Rob.  I think house construction/destruction brings out the best in all the great slapstick comedians, and THE SITTER DOWNERS has always been a favorite of mine.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Baggie

One bit in that I had to keep rewinding and watching again is after Moe has his finger stuck in the tap, and he's chasing Larry around that huge pile of wood, then Larry moves the plank with his hand and it smacks Moe in the head.  :D

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
One bit in that I had to keep rewinding and watching again is after Moe has his finger stuck in the tap, and he's chasing Larry around that huge pile of wood, then Larry moves the plank with his hand and it smacks Moe in the head.  :D

LOL!  That bit is great.  [rotflmao]

My brother and I were watching Sitter-Downers once, and counted the number of times Larry dogs Moe in that whole sequence, and while I don't remember the exact number it was over a dozen times.  And the funniest part is that Moe never does get even with him for it;  Larry got off scot-free!

[thumbsup]

Pilsner Panther

LOL!  That bit is great.  [rotflmao]

My brother and I were watching Sitter-Downers once, and counted the number of times Larry dogs Moe in that whole sequence, and while I don't remember the exact number it was over a dozen times.  And the funniest part is that Moe never does get even with him for it;  Larry got off scot-free!

[thumbsup]

It hardly ever happens, but Larry does get his revenge on Moe once in a great while. One of my favorite instances of that is in "Scrambled Brains," when Moe and Larry see Nurse Nora for the first time, and Larry says to Moe, "Hey, ya know, she's almost uglier than you are!"

Moe starts to agree with him, before he realizes what Larry's just said.

Then Moe gives Larry an eye-poke and a head-conk, but the line is such a total rip on Moe that neither one makes up for it!

[pound]

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:39:30 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
As said before, Corny Casanovas should have made it this far, as well as Hoi Polloi and Dopey Dicks.  Not only is Corny Casanovas my all-time favorite (and Hoi Polloi my 2nd-favorite Curly short), but if I recall, it lost to the most overrated short of them all: Grips, Grunts, and Groans.  My opinion of this short is basically the same as Jim's on An Ache in Every Stake and I know I voted against Grips, Grunts, and Groans in every round.
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, I'm not really high on Grips either, it's just Punch Drunks with wrestling.