Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

(DEAD) A&C Complete Universal Box Set

Offline falsealarms

The set is back up to 98 dollars on Amazon.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:37:48 AM by falsealarms »

Offline falsealarms

Anyone else jump on this? At 47.99, I couldn't pass it up as I've been eying for awhile but didn't want to pay $70, $80, $90 dollars for it. 28 features for 47.99 with what seems like gorgeous packaging is a steal.

I'm obviously most anxious to see the few with Shemp in the cast, but others like IN SOCIETY and A&C MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS look good too. I have not previously seen any of the films in this box set.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I bought this set for my brother (an avid A&C fan) back in 2008 for $83.99, and I thought that was a decent deal (that was only $3 a movie.)  It's a nice box set, and kind of novel; my brother really likes it.

At $47.99 I'm tempted to order one for myself, if I have enough left after Christmas shopping (and buying propane, and getting tires, etc., etc.)  That's only $1.71 a movie - a hell of a deal for nearly every feature film that A&C ever did together.

Offline falsealarms

I didn't see the 47.99 coming. They had a short-lived lightning sale a few weeks ago at 56.99. I can't imagine it going lower than 47.99 for awhile.

xraffle

Anyone else jump on this? At 47.99, I couldn't pass it up as I've been eying for awhile but didn't want to pay $70, $80, $90 dollars for it. 28 features for 47.99 with what seems like gorgeous packaging is a steal.

I'm obviously most anxious to see the few with Shemp in the cast, but others like IN SOCIETY and A&C MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS look good too. I have not previously seen any of the films in this box set.

These are great movies. You won't be sorry you bought these. If I didn't have the previous flippers release, I'd grab this myself.

Offline falsealarms

Yeah, I don't blame you. I wouldn't upgrade either if I had those. I mean, IT AIN'T HAY can't be THAT good.

Offline archiezappa

Kinda makes me a little mad about this.  I guess that my timing has been all wrong.

I bought this set at that $119 full price at Barnes & Noble last year, just over a year ago.  I would have held out, if I thought the price would be cut to less than half that!

Also, I held out for lower prices for The Monkees Season 1 and Season 2, but that never happened!  Now, they're out of print and I don't have them.  This is really bad, considering the fact that one of my videos from the '95 vhs box set broke recently.

I can't seem to get it right!

xraffle

Kinda makes me a little mad about this.  I guess that my timing has been all wrong.

I bought this set at that $119 full price at Barnes & Noble last year, just over a year ago.  I would have held out, if I thought the price would be cut to less than half that!

Also, I held out for lower prices for The Monkees Season 1 and Season 2, but that never happened!  Now, they're out of print and I don't have them.  This is really bad, considering the fact that one of my videos from the '95 vhs box set broke recently.

I can't seem to get it right!

None of us ever get it right when it comes to finding the best deals. We can never predict what will happen in the future. You wait for a price to drop, it never does. You bite the bullet and buy something, then later, the price drops significantly. It is annoying, indeed. It's like the world is against you.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, it never seems to go the way we plan it.  And, yes, I'm still looking for a good deal on The Monkees.  Ebay has some extremely high prices for those sets, with season 1 going for over $200!  It makes me wish I had went ahead and bought it for $80.  Ah, well.

Offline falsealarms

Someone unboxes their A&C box set on YouTube... and the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW box set.... but the A&C one is first up.

[youtube=425,350]a3TWNLcpr7g[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

The set came and the first one I watched was BUCK PRIVATES. It was pretty good. A little short of great, but definitely good. I enjoyed it more than any of the TV episodes I've seen them in. There were several musical numbers, but at least they had some spunk to them. The romantic subplot was tolerable as Jane Frazee was cute. A&C shined most during the opening 10-15 minutes when they were selling ties on the street prior to getting themselves into the military.

Even though it's widely hailed as the film that made them genuine stars, seven other A&C features rank higher on IMDB's fan voting.

Offline QuinceHead

I must've been one of the last people to grab one of these sets before the price jumped back up!

My partner is much more of an A&C fan than a Stoogephile -- but is forgiven nevertheless! -- so this is going under the Christmas treee!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline moglia

I was shocked to see it at 47.99 so I grabbed one.  As a kid there was an A&C movie on every Sunday at 11AM IIRC so a lot of great memories.

Hold That Ghost is one of my favorites and Shemp appears as soda jerk, and steals the show IMHO. Too bad the scene isn't longer.  Re: "MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS" - Mack Sennett appears. IMHO probably the best of the 1950's A&C films

So along with the A&C box, any Stooge fan would also want Africa Screams [in public domain] with Shemp and Besser. Look for the "halroachstudios.com"/Image DVD, it was made from the original 35MM Negative all other versions of this pale greatly in comparison.  Here is a pic of the one to get: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B7GWM6NYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg