Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony Launches MOD Program

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sony has [quietly] launched its manufactured-on-demand DVD-R program. The studio announced its intent to do this a couple years ago, but was beat to market by the Warner Archive in March 2009.

As of now, it appears that Sony is introducing it as an exclusive thru Critic's Choice Video. Sony's had no press announcement, and so far publicity has been word-of-mouth.

If you type "DVD-R" in CC's website search function, and then narrow the results down to "New Titles," it'll bring up a mix of Warner Archive and Sony results... the Sony titles are all priced at $21.21.

Nothing of Stooge-related interest turns up, other than Lou Costello's solo Columbia THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959).

Sony is one of the few studios actively marketing DVDs of its classic catalog, e.g., it's recent collections of film noir, Kim Novak, and Rita Hayworth. I'd love to see some of Sony's more obscure Stooges-related titles turn up on DVD... but the changing economy and market probably makes DVD-R the best chance we have of eventually seeing deep catalog titles like THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (1934), HEY ROOKIE! (1944), etc., and especially Columbia shorts collections with Charley Chase, Harry Langdon, Andy Clyde, et.al.

Addendum
Deep Discount will also have access to Sony's MOD titles, priced at $18.

Addendum 9/8
Sony has set up its own online store, dedicated to the MOD program.  (page down for details)

Offline falsealarms

DVD-R sure as hell beats nothing at all. Lets hope this proves fruitful.

Offline Curly4444

Wow, $21.21 for a burned DVD-r, forget that. I would mind if it was $5 or something, but my $21.21 could buy some other good stuff. It would have to be the best dam movie or short in the world for me to pay $21.21 for a DVD-r. Id rather download it(Legally), and make my own DVD+R, and save the file on my PC and back-up HDD.

Offline metaldams

and especially Columbia shorts collections with Charley Chase, Harry Langdon, Andy Clyde, et.al.

I see the start of something beautiful.

[sign17]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I agree with 4444, $21.21 is way steep for a burned DVD-R, especially for something they have no intention whatsoever of releasing on DVD/Blu Ray for mass consumption. Why not put it out on the cheap instead of trying to fleece the niche markets that these titles would appeal to?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sony has [quietly] set the new MOD program up with its own section on the SonyPictures website as "Screen Classics By Request Store," similar to WB's Warner Archive. This will not be an exclusive program to certain online retailers, as earlier thought.

From the Sony store, you can view all the titles included in this program launch. In addition to the aforementioned THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959) starring Lou Costello and Dorothy Provine, the first batch includes Soupy Sales' BIRDS DO IT (1966).

Offline falsealarms

DVD Talk interview with Sony's Rita Belda -

http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/screen_classics.html

DVD Talk: Without getting into specific titles, are there any plans to release Columbia's two-reel comedies beyond the Three Stooges and Buster Keaton shorts already out on DVD?

Belda: There has certainly been discussion about this, but no specific plans as of yet - we'll of course have to tackle how to make these available in a way that makes sense, and provides consumers value.