Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Bob Dylan

Offline metaldams

While I am a huge Beatles fan (I friggin' pre-ordered the $230 mono box set and don't regret it fer cryin' out loud), we have also discussed them almost as much as The Three Stooges over the years.  Somebody we have not discussed, or barely discussed, is Bob Dylan.

I almost hesitate to post a Dylan thread because I can hear the responses already - he's overrated, he can't sing, he's a good songwriter but other people do his songs better, etc. etc. etc.  If that's the way you feel, fine, but I'm wondering if anybody else has other opinions.

His influence on rock is as big as The Beatles.  If it weren't for Dylan, there's a good chance The Beatles would be writing love songs their entire career (not that there's anything wrong with that, but their entire body of work would not be as interesting).  HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED, which pre-dates RUBBER SOUL, is probably the first rock album to include both good rock music with intelligent lyrics.

My relationship with Dylan's music is not as instant as with The Beatles.  With Bob, he's somebody I appreciate slowly.  I like him more this year than I did last year, and I'll probably like him even more next year.  The Dylan Mono box is numero uno on my Christmas list.

Anybody else have any Bob thoughts?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Well, Metal I will tell you my honest thoughts on Dylan...in the 60's when I heard his songs on the radio I did not think much of them....but I was a kid. Since then I have heard statements from artist's that I like praising his work.

I think that they know what they are saying. But it don't really matter to me...I don't get it...his prose to me is just OK, his singing is horrendous, his interviews show him to be a chain smoking faggot and I just don't get the whole Bob Dylan thing. But that's just me. I'm too confused to figure it out...I guess the bottom line is that I would rather hear an old Everly Bros. song or a Johnny Mathis tune than him.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Dylan's influence cannot be understated. With that said there are many musicians I prefer to listen to. It's not that I don't like Dylan mind you, he's just not in my Top 10...or even Top 30. I can only take his overly nasal singing voice in small doses. While Dylan was a top notch songwriter there are a slew of artists who did covers of sings that I think surpass the Dylan originals like Jimi Hendrix (Dylan himself was quoted as saying that All Along The Watchtower was Jimi's song after hearing the Hendrix version) and Guns N Roses.

He also loses points with me for his conversion to Christianity, which would in itself would have been a non-factor if his music didn't get so pious afterward. On another note: isn't Dylan the reason the phrase "bat shit crazy" has become part of the English vernacular?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

My only complaint about Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is that it's too short at 2:30.  Other than that, I feel it's superior to the Guns n' Roses version and certainly the Clapton version.  The reason?  His vocals.  I think Bob's voice sounded the best in the mid-70's.  

No argument about Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" being better, though I like the original in its own way.

As far as the Christian thing, we're talking about a guy who has released about 40 albums, and the Christian phase lasted for three of them.  I haven't heard much from that era, only "Gotta Serve Somebody" (which I like), but as of this moment, I'll call the Christian phase interesting on paper, though I'm not sure how I'll respond to it once I hear more.  I think the whole Christian thing was just a safety net after leaving his wife, but hey, one thing you got to say about Bob is that he was always honest about where his head was at, whether you, I, or anybody else likes it.  I actually respect the fact he hid away for awhile after the motorcycle crash and didn't buy into the whole voice of a generation image.  Thank God too, one Bono in this world is enough.  
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well you gotta give credit to Bono for accomplishing what has despite being the world's biggest bowel movement (that's for my fellow South Park fans).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Well you gotta give credit to Bono for accomplishing what has despite being the world's biggest bowel movement (that's for my fellow South Park fans).
I stopped watching Southpark after the Chrismas Turd episode, so I dom't get your refrence...but I will re-interate  that Dylan was only a decent poet at best.and a singer /musician at the worst.

He is a classic case of artist's re-doing his shit to lend validation to it,and us swallowing the bilge.

Fuck him.

Dylan....the music that sucks.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I like Dylan.  I don't listen to his stuff a lot, but one of my friends did "Mr. Tambourine Man" for a poetry project junior year.  Great guy, and great sound.

Dylan...the music that does NOT suck.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Curly4444

I like him. I love that song "The Times They Are a-Changin'". I first heard it in the movie "The Watchmen". Loved it instantly.

Dog Hambone

I thought Bob Dylan was at his best in the early days when he was at his visionary best; just him & his guitar & harmonica. He never topped that era. He was almost always one of the best lyricists around, but I'll be the first to agree that he wasn't exactly a great singer. For the most part, I liked his voice (until he got old). I opine that he has often been uneven throughout his career; he'd record some truly remarkable stuff but then follow it up with some throw-away stuff.

The best thing about his Christian era was his use of the Muscle Shoals rhythm section as backup for his fire & brimstone Old Testament influenced lyrics.

Also, one of my favorites of his was BLONDE ON BLONDE; one of the best albums ever.

Offline metaldams

Dog, I'll have to check later to see what song you put, as I'm at work and can't check out youtube.

My all-time favorite Dylan, song, which i've never been able to find the studio version of on youtube, is "Simple Twist of Fate."  The most beautiful song Dylan ever wrote, and one that has a bit of personal meaning for me too.  I also like "Desolation Row" a lot.
- Doug Sarnecky

Dog Hambone

Dog, I'll have to check later to see what song you put, as I'm at work and can't check out youtube.

I modified the post to delete it. It was "Just Like a Woman". There are some notes on YouTube about copyright issues with Dylan's stuff; maybe that's why it wouldn't embed.