Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who else should be the subject of a biography?

Offline metaldams

Just got finished reading Bill Cassara's Vernon Dent book, so it you haven't already, check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Vernon-Dent-Stooge-Bill-Cassara/dp/1593935498/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287624248&sr=1-1

That said, it got me thinking, we need more biographies.  Perhaps some of us should think about researching one, but here are a few names that come to mind:

Bud Jamison:  Like Vernon Dent, a silent comedy veteran who ended up at Columbia.  He worked with Chaplin and has an extensive resume.  He also was a former Rolling Stone.....well, he had musical talent, so he sounds like an interesting idea.

Jules White:  Again, a silent comedy career, has successful brother in the business, and he ran the Columbia Comedy Shorts department.  Loved by Stooge fans, loathed by Keaton fans, he'd make an interesting choice.

Obviously there are others, but let's hear your opinions.

By the way, not Stooge related, but I would love to see a Larry Semon biography.  One of the biggest stars in his day who went on to fail in features, make a silent WIZARD OF OZ, work with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, die broke with a nervous breakdown in a sanitarium at age 39 and have his body of work dissed by Walter Kerr and forgotten by almost everybody else.  Sounds biography worth.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ProfessorStooge

Here are a few I just thought of and my reasons why a biography of them should be written:

Emil Sitka: Worked with all Stooge incarnations and a favorite to work with. A man who definitely deserves to have a book written about him.

Christine McIntyre: A very talented singer whose association with the Stooges was a memorable one.

Ted Healy: The man who started the whole Stooge story. For without him, the Stooges would not be popular today.

The only Stooges to not have a book written about them were Shemp and Curly-Joe.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would love to see a comprehensive Shemp biography before any of the other supporting cast.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline GentWithoutCents

I've always been facsinated by the rise and fall of Clyde Bruckman. Like Vernon and Bud, he worked with many of the big names in comedy. Would love to read an in-depth biography on him.

Offline metaldams

I would love to see a comprehensive Shemp biography before any of the other supporting cast.

I too would love to see a good Shemp bio, and you know, even though he may not be my favorite Stooge, I'd read a Joe Derita bio as well. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, I'm with you there: I'd pick up a Derita bio if one were to come out.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline StoogeGirl

I, too, would love to see a biography on Shemp. Moe, Larry, and Curly have each have had biographical books published about them, but there is none that I know of for Shemp. That's definitely a shame. I would love to read more about the original third Stooge. :)

Dog Hambone

Christine McIntyre: A very talented singer whose association with the Stooges was a memorable one.

I agree. A beautiful singing voice. Also, I think her comedic timing when working with the Stooges was terrific. I don't recall having ever seen her in anything else (I'll have to check IMDB). It would be interesting to know more about her.

Offline Boid Brain

Of all the Stooges, Shemp's career was the most diverse. I would think there would be a lotta' subject matter there. Did Shem not have any kids?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Of all the Stooges, Shemp's career was the most diverse. I would think there would be a lotta' subject matter there. Did Shem not have any kids?

For several years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Joan Howard Maurer attempted a biography of her Uncle Shemp, similar to her Curly: Biography of the Super-Stooge. She could not find a publisher that was interested.

But that was before the internet increased the circulation and accessibility of niche publishers like McFarland and Bear Manor. Maybe someone, someday...

Shemp's son Mort died in the early 1970s.

Offline StoogeGirl

For several years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Joan Howard Maurer attempted a biography of her Uncle Shemp, similar to her Curly: Biography of the Super-Stooge. She could not find a publisher that was interested.

But that was before the internet increased the circulation and accessibility of niche publishers like McFarland and Bear Manor. Maybe someone, someday...

Shemp's son Mort died in the early 1970s.

No publisher interested? That's a shame!

Offline Boid Brain

No publisher interested? That's a shame!
Yeah, but they are in the business of selling books. Maybe after the new movie comes out there will be renewed interest.