Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Dutiful But Dumb question

Herman · 3 · 1755

Offline Herman

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but:
Although I really enjoy Dutiful But Dumb, I don't get two gags in it. The first is when they show the picture of Curly with the ripped bits of the original photo on his face. Is that supposed to be a photo they took of a photo, or is it a double exposure (because Moe says "You forgot to wind the camera.")

The second gag is in the firing squad sequence. Why do they suddenly have their heads hidden in their shirts as they run away? Almost seems as if something was cut.

Dog Hambone

Part of that photograph looks like the one Curly took when he was in the apartment & the rest of it is pieces of his face. I don't recall seeing how Curly's face got in there unless it has something to due with Moe dunking his head in the tub containing the developing solution.

As for the missing heads, isn't the implication that the firing squad shot their heads off? I assumed we were supposed to see it the way Bud Jamison saw it, when the camera shows Jamison look at them & get that shocked expression on his face. In other words, he didn't see their heads come off, either. So, while Jamison & the guards were trying to figure out what happened, Click, Clack, & Cluck were able to make their escape. It seems to be a much funnier sight gag than actually showing the Stooges hiding their heads.     

Offline Herman

Hey Dog,
I thought the photograph joke was that Moe had pushed Curly's head in the developer destroying the photo, so after they took a photo of him with the pieces to try and salvage it (?)-- but I'm still not completely sure.

I think what you are saying about the heads suddenly missing makes sense, but I guess it seems more odd than funny. Still not completely clear to me, but I get what you are saying.