Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

YouTube Beatles Thread

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I figured the Beatles should probably get their own thread, especially since they came about before the days of MTV. This thread is for anything Beatles related: this includes Beatles music, interviews etc as well as post Beatles stuff and music from Beatle children. Covers are also fine.

With that in mind I thought I would do something unexpected to kick-start this thread. I present Sean Lennon (son of John and Yoko) and a song called Dead Meat which is actually pretty good (much to my surprise). Comparisons to his father both musically and his looks are very obvious...it's almost like looking at John with an olive complexion.

[youtube=425,350]BCVim78vmUM[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Now for some classic Beatles: I Am The Walrus.

[youtube=425,350]RG73Pk1yUj8[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here is a demo of Child of Nature, which would become Jealous Guy on John's Imagine album.

[youtube=425,350]TokHBjAcw5s[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]G3C9F7QRTy4[/youtube]

&feature=player_embedded

I love the White Album version, but I like this even better.  Am I the only one?

# I hate this embedded stuff.  Gotta go on youtube to hear this one, but definitely worth it.  Not quite the caliber of "Uh! All Night" but still essential.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'm posting a bunch of shit now, but I don't have time to listen to anything except on Saturday mornings because my computer is in a room where a TV is constantly on with roomates (right now an Elton John concert)

That said, I'm definitely interested in that Sean Lennon clip.  I'll be watching that along with Mr. Noisy this weekend.  I've never heard Sean's stuff, but I like the few Julian songs I've heard.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

I haven't seen Sean since the Moonwalker video...he's a man now. The resemblance to John is aided by the fact that Yoko could pass for John's sister.

I add this one from the Ed Sulliven show. First time American audience. The fans are much quieter here than they ever would be again. George must have been nervous as hell as he make a couple of mistakes on lead guitar.

I get a kick out of how Paul blushes when he gets a big reaction on a close up shot. And Man, were they young!

&feature=related

Offline FineBari3

I add this one from the Ed Sulliven show. First time American aedience. The fans are much quieter here than they ever would be again. George must have been nervous as hell as he make a couple of mistakes on lead guitar.

I get a kick out of how Paul blushes when he gets a big reaction on a close up shot. And Man, were they young!

&feature=related

George was very sick with the flu. That is why he isn't in any of the famous photographs that were taken of them in Central Park. I even think they were going to have a substitute, but he decided to go on with the show.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I add this one from the Ed Sulliven show. First time American aedience. The fans are much quieter here than they ever would be again. George must have been nervous as hell as he make a couple of mistakes on lead guitar.

I can remember watching the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan when I was a kid.  I don't remember what the date was, and until seeing that video I couldn't have told you which song they performed, but I definitely remember my father's reaction to the Beatles when they came on!  He kept going on about their haircuts (my brothers and I were condemned to have crew cuts, just like Dad), and of course he hated their music.  In my Dad's opinion nothing is "music" unless it was played by Glenn Miller or one of the Dorsey brothers, etc.    ::)

Offline Curly4444

[youtube=425,350]Q1wIXIFfrXI[/youtube]

I dont know if this was the first performance?

Offline metaldams

I can remember watching the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan when I was a kid.  I don't remember what the date was, and until seeing that video I couldn't have told you which song they performed, but I definitely remember my father's reaction to the Beatles when they came on!  He kept going on about their haircuts (my brothers and I were condemned to have crew cuts, just like Dad), and of course he hated their music.  In my Dad's opinion nothing is "music" unless it was played by Glenn Miller or one of the Dorsey brothers, etc.    ::)

You must be brothers with my father, crew cut included.

A friend of mine recently bought the complete episodes of the Ed Sullivan show the Beatles were on and I was watching them with him.  Fascinating stuff.  I'm not going to say any of the other acts topped The Beatles, but some were at least interesting.  It seemed back then people were more interested in the talent on the shows and wanting them to succeed as opposed to wanting to see people getting lambasted by more famous judges.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
This thread got me curious about just when the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan, since all I can remember is that it was early 60's (we were living in Connecticut then.)  This is what Wikipedia has to say:
In late 1963, Sullivan and his entourage happened also to be passing through Heathrow and witnessed how The Beatles fans' greeted the group on their return from Stockholm, where they had performed a television show as warmup band to local star Lill Babs. Sullivan was intrigued, telling his entourage it was the same thing as Elvis all over again. He initially offered Beatles manager Brian Epstein top dollar for a single show but the Beatles manager had a better idea—he wanted exposure for his clients: the Beatles would instead appear three times on the show, at bottom dollar, but receive top billing and two spots (opening and closing) on each show.

The Beatles appeared on three consecutive Sundays in February 1964 to great anticipation and fanfare as "I Want to Hold Your Hand" had swiftly risen to #1 in the charts. Their first appearance on February 9 is considered a milestone in American pop culture and the beginning of the British Invasion in music. The broadcast drew an estimated 73 million viewers, at the time a record for US television, and was characterized by an audience composed largely of screaming hysterical teenage girls in tears. The Beatles followed Ed's show opening intro, performing "All My Loving", "Till There Was You" which featured the names of the group members superimposed on closeup shots, including the famous "Sorry girls, he's married:" (sic) caption on John Lennon, and "She Loves You". They returned later in the program to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

The following week's show was broadcast from Miami Beach where Muhammad Ali, then Cassius Clay, was in training for his first title bout with Sonny Liston. The occasion was used by both camps for publicity. On the evening of the television show (February 16) a crush of people nearly prevented the band from making it onstage. A wedge of policemen were needed and the band began playing "She Loves You" only seconds after reaching their instruments. They continued with "This Boy", and "All My Loving" and returned later to close the show with "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

They were shown on tape February 23 (this appearance had been taped earlier in the day on February 9 before their first live appearance). They followed Ed's intro with "Twist and Shout" and "Please Please Me" and closed the show once again with "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

The Beatles appeared for the final time on August 14, 1965. The show was broadcast September 12, 1965 and earned Sullivan a 60 percent share of the nighttime audience for one of the appearances. This time they followed three acts before coming out to perform "I Feel Fine", "I'm Down", and "Act Naturally" and then closed the show with "Ticket to Ride", "Yesterday", and "Help!". Although this was their final live appearance on the show, the group would for several years provide filmed promotional clips of songs to air exclusively on Sullivan's program such as the 1966 and 1967 clips of "Paperback Writer", "Rain", "Penny Lane", and "Strawberry Fields Forever".

Although the appearances by The Beatles and Elvis are considered the most famous rock and roll performances on Ed Sullivan, several months before Elvis debuted, Sullivan invited Bill Haley & His Comets to perform their then-current hit "Rock Around the Clock" in early August 1955. This was later recognized by CBS and others (including music historian Jim Dawson in his book on "Rock Around the Clock") as the first performance of a rock and roll song on a national television program.

Offline Boid Brain

I was raised by my G Parents who must have been "hep" because they loved Elvis, the Beatles, Jerry Lee Lewis (my Grand Dad would mimic his piano playing) Little Richard, hell, all the '50s acts.

I remember that from Feb. on thru the rest of the summer it was nothing but Beatles, Beatles and more Beatles on the radio. Promotions, contests, all kind of shit. When we went back to school there was a whole lot of long haired boys.

If memory serves they were the #2 group in the U.K. behind the Animals. That chance meeting with Sullivan...what if the Animals got on American T.V. first?

Offline metaldams

If memory serves they were the #2 group in the U.K. behind the Animals. That chance meeting with Sullivan...what if the Animals got on American T.V. first?

I've never heard that before.  The Beatles broke America in 1964, but were having #1's like crazy in England in 1963.  The Animals were big in their own right and a good band, but it was in the wake of The Beatles. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

I've never heard that before.  The Beatles broke America in 1964, but were having #1's like crazy in England in 1963.  The Animals were big in their own right and a good band, but it was in the wake of The Beatles. 
My info came from the D.J.s on KXOK Top 40 Radio in St. Louis. They had a little report on a loop so I would hear it a couple of times a day. And that's why I remember it. I do remember that "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" were #1 and 2 for about a month! After the Sullivan show aired they blew up, and at one point I counted, and they had 7 of the top 10.
(nice to have a backlog of unheard hits to re-release)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
John and Yoko on the Dick Cavett Show.

[youtube=425,350]CmvAdG6c7MY[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]uPowBNpEdQg[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]YiBRBykjU_Q[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]WC6xZXQRnIc[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]-iovLUA2EdE[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]za_ed83rlHY[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]dSVvE-IbdFU[/youtube]