Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best comedy team ever?

Boid Brain · 127 · 20282

flash70

Stan and Ollie really don't get the credit they deserve for creating such amazingly lifelike characters...If you watch "A Chump at Oxoford"..when Stan reverts to his "Lord Paddington" identity- it's quite jarring to hear him speak as a character who isn't "Stanley".

Offline Boid Brain

The great Chaplin stole the idea of the dictator from the lowly Stooges. Moe was better if you ask me!

Offline metaldams

The great Chaplin stole the idea of the dictator from the lowly Stooges. Moe was better if you ask me!

The great Chaplin took longer to film his movies than The Three Stooges.  By the time The Three Stooges started production on YOU NAZTY SPY, Chaplin already had the idea and began filming in September 1939, with the writing and planning phases being much earlier.  YOU NAZTY SPY was released in January 1940.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

You just say that because Chaplin couldn't remove and replace his "personality" (a.k.a. moustache) while shaving.

"You nitwit! You've shattered my world!"

Offline Boid Brain

You just say that because Chaplin couldn't remove and replace his "personality" (a.k.a. moustache) while shaving.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline OldFred

Chaplin wore a false mustache too.

Offline 7stooges

I'm probably in the minority here, but I also consider "The Little Rascals" and "The Bowery Boys" as comedy teams.

As for the long pauses in Laurel and Hardy films, these were intended. Stan Laurel wanted these pauses in the films so that the entire theater audience could get the full laugh effect before the next joke showed up. When Stan saw some Laurel and Hardy films on television, he admitted that he felt they seemed too slow moving. In fact, he wanted to re-cut the films himself for television. In short, Laurel and Hardy movies are at their best when watched with a full theater audience.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
While we are on the subject of Charlie Chaplin, has anyone come across that asinine "time traveler" nonsense?

For those not in the know, some tards claim that in the Chaplin film the circus there is a time traveler in the background of one of the scenes. There is a woman walking through a shot (these people claim this is a man) and she is holding something up to her ear the way a person of today would hold a cellphone. It was most likely a hearing aid of the day.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]gAhavO89LqQ[/youtube]

The "cell phone" controversy.

Offline metaldams

While we are on the subject of Charlie Chaplin, has anyone come across that asinine "time traveler" nonsense?

For those not in the know, some tards claim that in the Chaplin film the circus there is a time traveler in the background of one of the scenes. There is a woman walking through a shot (these people claim this is a man) and she is holding something up to her ear the way a person of today would hold a cellphone. It was most likely a hearing aid of the day.

Actually footage from the premier of THE CIRCUS that's included as a DVD extra, but yeah, I agree, total bullshit, and I also agree with the hearing aid theory.  My brother said it best, asking how she could talk on a cell phone when there were no cell phone towers in 1928.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Actually footage from the premier of THE CIRCUS that's included as a DVD extra, but yeah, I agree, total bullshit, and I also agree with the hearing aid theory.  My brother said it best, asking how she could talk on a cell phone when there were no cell phone towers in 1928.

I can't believe this was even considered news. When did this alleged 'story' break? 

The explanation of a hearing device is obviously the better one than a friggin' time traveler! Idiots.....
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Boid Brain

The only reasonable answer is that the woman was using a Star Trek-esk communicator. So yes, she was definitely a time traveler!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have to "come out of the closet" and admit that other than the maybe watching the toy movie as a kid that I only have vague memories of now I have never seen an L&H film.

I don't know how long this will remain on Youtube (RHI and Hallmark are pretty good about that), but here is Laurel & Hardy's classic THE MUSIC BOX (1932).

[youtube=425,350]zdvFx6a_jUo[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]jXYuRPQAAVs[/youtube]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
TOWED IN A HOLE (1932)
[youtube=425,350]sMlT6h7DEL8[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]fp3pfJHJXV8[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

If you don't like the above two films, Laurel and Hardy are not for you.
- Doug Sarnecky

If you don't like the above two films, Laurel and Hardy are not for you.

Was that addressed to anyone in particular?

In the first half of The Music Box, my favorite moment is just before the end of the clip, when Stan and Ollie finally get the piano to the house and leave it alone for a moment to go to the door: not only does it immediately and rapidly slip away from them, but when it hits the top of the steps, it turns the corner to begin its rumbling descent! For some reason, that detail, which struck me as showing bad luck concentrated to the point of absurdity, made me laugh even more than the sight of Ollie being dragged down the steps hanging on to the back of the crate.

Offline metaldams

Was that addressed to anyone in particular?

Not at all, just a general statement.  THE MUSIC BOX and TOWED IN A HOLE are among the best Laurel and Hardy films, so if somebody doesn't care for them, they're probably not a Laurel and Hardy fan. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Not at all, just a general statement.  THE MUSIC BOX and TOWED IN A HOLE are among the best Laurel and Hardy films, so if somebody doesn't care for them, they're probably not a Laurel and Hardy fan.  

Okay; I get it. I have to admit that I watched a fair amount of The Music Box without laughing. But I reflected that Laurel and Hardy's comedy, at least in this movie (which is the first one of theirs that I have seen in a very long time; I have seen others but have no immediate recollection of them), and in contrast to the comedy of the Stooges, does not aim at immediate gratification. They try to build to an effect, using repetition and dramatic tension. I would not be at all surprised if at some future time I watched the movie again and laughed even more than I did the first time, or at least found more to admire in it.

Offline falsealarms

Some general thoughts -

Three Stooges - Like for most people here, they will always be #1 in my book. I grew up on the Stooges and still love them today. I was introduced to the Stooges long, long before any of their contemporaries.

Laurel & Hardy - Initially, I thought their sound shorts were too slow for my taste. But the more I saw, the more I liked. Not many of their sound shorts were clunkers, though TWICE TWO is a major exception. I've seen some of their features and they were strong as well. SONS OF THE DESERT and BLOCK-HEADS come to mind.

Marx Brothers - I love DUCK SOUP, MONKEY BUSINESS, and HORSE FEATHERS. I like A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA, and ANIMAL CRACKERS. But the rest of their stuff I can it or leave it rather easily. Their most overrated effort is A DAY AT THE RACES, which overstays its welcome. I've seen just about all their films outside of LOVE HAPPY.

Burns & Allen - I've seen them in INTERNATIONAL HOUSE, HERE COMES COOKIE, SIX OF A KIND, and some one-reelers. I like them, but don't love them. Good chemistry between them.

Abbott & Costello - To be determined. I've seen their TV series and that was a moderate hit with me. Not as good as Laurel & Hardy, the Marxes, or The Three Stooges -- that much is clear, based on what I've seen so far. That could still change. I'll have a much clearer opinion of them once I delve into their Universal box set, which I bought as much for the Shemp appearances than for A&C.

Among single acts -

W.C Fields - He is the "great man." My favorite outside of the Three Stooges. Fields generates more laughs for me than just about anyone else on this list. Efforts like IT'S A GIFT and MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE are just unforgettable. I've seen everything on the 2 Universal box sets + SIX OF A KIND + the Criterion DVD.

Buster Keaton - I like him quite a bit. His Columbia/Educational stuff goes over well with me with only a few misses.

Harold Lloyd - FEET FIRST and MOVIE CRAZY were great. Some of his silent shorts aren't bad. But despite trying really hard to get into the silent era, it's not for me. I tried watching SAFETY LAST, but it couldn't hold my attention for more than 20-25 minutes. I seem to get bored with silent stuff -- even the classic silent stuff like this and the Chaplin's -- after 20-25 minutes. I don't doubt that a lot of great stuff was done in the silent era, but it's not an era that does much for me. Regrettable that he didn't make more sound features.

Charlie Chaplin - Simply not my style. I've seen most of his best stuff (CITY LIGHTS, MODERN TIMES, GREAT DICTATOR) but it doesn't hit the strike zone for me. There's too much emotion and sentiment in a lot of his stuff and that's not what I'm looking for with classic comedy.

Offline metaldams

False, I agree about TWICE TWO, my least favorite Laurel and Hardy.  Coincidentally, my least favorite Three Stooges short might be SELF MADE MAIDS, so I must not like seeing comedians double as themselves in drag.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stooge1029

Twice Two was bad. The worst sound short though has got to be The Laurel and Hardy Murder Case. I actually like the Stooges If a Body Meets a Body better than that one. Oliver the Eighth is another stinker. Otherwise the L&H shorts are pretty consistant.

On a side note on Towed in a Hole, I was watching it again the other day and I noticed that after the opening scence where theyre selling fresh fish Laurel says Boop opp ee doop or whatever the Betty Boop line is. I think thats where the Stooges got the title Booby Dupes for their short that has a very similar premise and opening scene to Towed in a Hole.

Offline falsealarms

This L&H short is also very highly recommended. I'd rank it above TOWED IN A HOLE, as good as that one is.

COUNTY HOSPITAL - 1931

[youtube=425,350]InTaKMUYMjM[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]Q3BixV6uH1c[/youtube]

And.... filming locations:

[youtube=425,350]9_SOR9VN37g[/youtube]

I had low expectations for MURDER CASE AND OLIVER THE EIGHTH based on various reviews, but liked both.

Offline metaldams

COUNTY HOSPITAL was the first Laurel and Hardy short I saw as an adult.  It would be an absolute masterpiece if it weren't for that awful chase scene where it's incredibly obvious they are in front of a screen.  Still a great short....think I'll have some hard boiled eggs and nuts for breakfast tomorrow.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Forgot one team last night.... Schilling & Lane. I recently watched AIN'T LOVE CUCKOO (on the ICONS OF SCREWBALL COMEDY 1 DVD) and it's great to see one of their shorts in very good condition. The short has great pacing, an interesting plot, and a load of familiar names in the cast.... Emil Sitka, Jean Willes, and Judy Malcolm to name 3.

stooged and confused

I love Laurel and Hardy. My first classic comedy love was The Stooges, but in junior high, I discovered Chaplin, Keaton and Laurel and Hardy. I remember vividly going to our public library and checking out the super 8 films of Stan and Oliver, as my Dad had an 8mm/super 8 projector. All the films were silent, even though many were talkies, so the words appeared on the screen as you viewed them. I recall LIBERTY was one of the first I ever saw.

While L & H films are slower than The Stooges, that never bothered me. I always had more patience than most of my age and didn't need the instant pay off. Oliver's expressions always made me howl with laughter.

As my entrepreneurial spirit developed, I came up with a great way to make some bucks as a kid. When L&H movies or the Little Rascals were aired on TV, I'd tape the sound on my cassette recorder and sync it to the silent library films. I got a giant piece of wood, painted it white and made a drive-in in my back yard. Neighbor kids paid a dime to ride their bikes and watch movies in our yard. I'd make Jiffy Pop popcorn and sell that with cans of coke, while kids laughed at The Stooges, Little Rascals and Laurel and Hardy.

Ah, when days were simpler!