Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best comedy team ever?

Boid Brain · 127 · 20280

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I’ll never deny Martin and Lewis’s cultural impact at the time of their teaming. I just think artistically, and this is obviously just my opinion, they don’t cut it.  I think Lewis had a few funny moments and was a gifted physical and gag comedian when he wanted to be - but he fell flat whenever he got into deep character.  Dean was a fine straight man, a better singer and was funniest when doing roasts.

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis' best work cannot be found in their films, but in their hilarious live appearances on "The Colgate Comedy Hour" from 1950 to 1955. Fortunately, all 28 kinescopes survive and capture the real Martin and Lewis. As solo artists, I always thought Dean was naturally funnier than Jerry — whether on his classic variety show or his 100-proof Vegas performances.

Offline Moose Malloy

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis' best work cannot be found in their films, but in their hilarious live appearances on "The Colgate Comedy Hour" from 1950 to 1955. Fortunately, all 28 kinescopes survive and capture the real Martin and Lewis. As solo artists, I always thought Dean was naturally funnier than Jerry — whether on his classic variety show or his 100-proof Vegas performances.
Sorry it took so long to reply but I just moved to Vegas and it took me a whole week to obliterate my wad

I have to agree that their movies sucked. The audiences had to be mostly kids.

Jerry often said that Dean was a crack-up off stage and before them Groucho and Harpo agreed that Zeppo was the more "naturally" funny brother.  A final word on Abbot and costello:   I liked their fast paced Brooklynish patter, just great timing