Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best comedy team ever?

Boid Brain · 127 · 20283

stooged and confused

It really is a shame how poorly the films of Laurel and Hardy have been treated here in the US. I can't wait for real sets of their classic shorts and films fully restored.

I love that location here and now footage. I always have been fascinated with what a classic film location looks like in modern times.

Oh, one more thing. I think BUSY BODIES was the closest their films came to resembling a Stooges entry. Lots of mayhem in that one.

Offline falsealarms

It really is a shame how poorly the films of Laurel and Hardy have been treated here in the US. I can't wait for real sets of their classic shorts and films fully restored.

I love that location here and now footage. I always have been fascinated with what a classic film location looks like in modern times.

Oh, one more thing. I think BUSY BODIES was the closest their films came to resembling a Stooges entry. Lots of mayhem in that one.

I would agree that BUSY BODIES is probably their closest thing to a Stooge short.

A&C's IN SOCIETY seems a lot like a Stooge offering (I haven't seen it yet) ... but from the IMDB IN SOCIETY page: "Two bumbling plumbers are hired by a socialite to fix a leak.  A case of mistaken identity gets the pair an invitation to a fancy party and an entree into high society. As expected, things don't go too smoothly. "

Offline metaldams

A&C's IN SOCIETY seems a lot like a Stooge offering (I haven't seen it yet) ... but from the IMDB IN SOCIETY page: "Two bumbling plumbers are hired by a socialite to fix a leak.  A case of mistaken identity gets the pair an invitation to a fancy party and an entree into high society. As expected, things don't go too smoothly. "

I would never watch all of IN SOCIETY again because I remember thinking the romantic plot was really bad, but the plumbing scenes had me laughing real hard.  I suppose worth watching once, but once you get that initial viewing out the way, you'll just fast forward through the rest to get to Bud and Lou's parts, as they are quite funny.
- Doug Sarnecky

stooged and confused

That is the problem with much of A&C features and that of the Marx Brothers...too many gooey romantic sub plots and dated musical numbers that weigh the films down.

For your consideration...a dentist scene from L&H's PARDON US

and the big pie fight from the silent short BATTLE OF THE CENTURY

Offline falsealarms

That's my main concern with the A&C films -- too many outdated musical numbers and too many horribly-acted romantic subplots. Those things were a problem with the later Marx features and a large reason why I find them mostly forgettable. There's a comedy in there somewhere, but often too hard to find amongst the musical numbers and romantic subplots. They kill pacing and often ruin the entire experience of watching the film. Once in awhile, those things are something I can stomach but that's rare.

Offline falsealarms

I like romantic comedies from that era -- HIS GIRL FRIDAY, AWFUL TRUTH come to mind -- but the kind of romantic subplots in the later Marx features pale in comparison.

Offline metaldams

I like romantic comedies from that era -- HIS GIRL FRIDAY, AWFUL TRUTH come to mind -- but the kind of romantic subplots in the later Marx features pale in comparison.

If the romantic leads in Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello comedies were Cary Grant, Carole Lombard, or Katherine Hepburn, I'm sure they'd be more enjoyable.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

If the romantic leads in Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello comedies were Cary Grant, Carole Lombard, or Katherine Hepburn, I'm sure they'd be more enjoyable.

Ha, you're right about that. We get stuck with a bunch of hams.

Offline HomokHarcos

I found this thread and decided to bump it with my own ranking
1.Laurel and Hardy
2.The Three Stooges
3.Burns and Allen
4.Marx Brothers
5.Abbott and Costello
6.Wheeler and Woolsey
7.Martin and Lewis
8.Todd and Pitts/Kelly (I happen to really like Thelma Todd, but wished she had her own solo series instead of teaming up)

I don't exactly consider Our Gang a team, but rather a series. If you want to count them they would be third.

Offline metaldams

I found this thread and decided to bump it with my own ranking
1.Laurel and Hardy
2.The Three Stooges
3.Burns and Allen
4.Marx Brothers
5.Abbott and Costello
6.Wheeler and Woolsey
7.Martin and Lewis
8.Todd and Pitts/Kelly (I happen to really like Thelma Todd, but wished she had her own solo series instead of teaming up)

I don't exactly consider Our Gang a team, but rather a series. If you want to count them they would be third.

It’s funny you put Pitts and Todd at 8 - I just started rewatching their DVD set this morning.  Curious about putting Burns and Allen so high.  I take it it’s from the TV show, right?

I stand by my comments for the most part from years back about Martin and Lewis.  I’ve watched a few of their films recently and I’ve found them to be overly long and too serious for a low brow comedian teamed with a crooner.  THAT’S MY BOY, for example.  The worst possible “happy ending” for me would be for Jerry to be fake, ignore who he really is and impress his narcissistic father.  Yet that’s exactly what happened.  Snappy films with light humor and music like Hope and Crosby would have fit them better.  Whenever they try for art or pathos, I’m lost.

Another creepy thing is earlier in the thread I made a comment about having one living grandmother.  She was dead six months after that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

It’s funny you put Pitts and Todd at 8 - I just started rewatching their DVD set this morning.  Curious about putting Burns and Allen so high.  I take it it’s from the TV show, right?

I stand by my comments for the most part from years back about Martin and Lewis.  I’ve watched a few of their films recently and I’ve found them to be overly long and too serious for a low brow comedian teamed with a crooner.  THAT’S MY BOY, for example.  The worst possible “happy ending” for me would be for Jerry to be fake, ignore who he really is and impress his narcissistic father.  Yet that’s exactly what happened.  Snappy films with light humor and music like Hope and Crosby would have fit them better.  Whenever they try for art or pathos, I’m lost.

Another creepy thing is earlier in the thread I made a comment about having one living grandmother.  She was dead six months after that.
I'd like to send my late condolences. Back in 2010 my great grandparents were still alive.

The Martin and Lewis films, to both of their own admissions were not the best display of the team. That goes to the nightclub and television appearances on the Colgate Comedy Hour. I think Jerry Lewis probably would have worked better a silent comic, since many seem to be annoyed by his loudness. I appreciate that he attempted to keep the slapstick tradition going, even if a lot of comedy fans don't like him.

I think Gracie Allen's illogical logic bit was great, it was impressive that she was able to play that role convincingly, and George Burns is my favorite straight man of all time. They were also used correctly their career, from starring in short films, to appearing in supporting roles in ensembles and then 30 minute radio and television shows.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Best comedy team ever?"

Laurel and Hardy — hands down.

Offline metaldams

I'd like to send my late condolences. Back in 2010 my great grandparents were still alive.

The Martin and Lewis films, to both of their own admissions were not the best display of the team. That goes to the nightclub and television appearances on the Colgate Comedy Hour. I think Jerry Lewis probably would have worked better a silent comic, since many seem to be annoyed by his loudness. I appreciate that he attempted to keep the slapstick tradition going, even if a lot of comedy fans don't like him.

I think Gracie Allen's illogical logic bit was great, it was impressive that she was able to play that role convincingly, and George Burns is my favorite straight man of all time. They were also used correctly their career, from starring in short films, to appearing in supporting roles in ensembles and then 30 minute radio and television shows.

That’s cool about Burns and Allen and you paint a vivid picture of their career.  I’ve seen them in two movies, as support and a few episodes of the television show.  I really like what I see.

George Burns was a media personality when I was a kid because he lived to be 3500 years old, same with Bob Hope.  Every other comedian of that generation died either long or shortly before my birth, but George Burns died when I was a teenager.  He was constantly smoking cigars and talking about his 100th birthday party for years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’m curious, have you seen either of Gracie Allen’s solo mystery films? I’ve always been curious to check those out because, as much as I like Burns, I always felt Allen had enough talent to make it as a solo act, and the idea that she starred in mystery films of all things has always fascinated me.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

I’m curious, have you seen either of Gracie Allen’s solo mystery films? I’ve always been curious to check those out because, as much as I like Burns, I always felt Allen had enough talent to make it as a solo act, and the idea that she starred in mystery films of all things has always fascinated me.
No, I haven't watched those but they are curiosities. Gracie was certainly the bigger star when they were a team, and George Burns would often give her all the credit, even though he was talented himself.

Another comedy team I'd like to mention that I discovered recently is Ham and Bud, featuring Lloyd Hamilton and Bud Duncan. Supposedly they are a good watch for Three Stooges fans.

Offline metaldams

No, I haven't watched those but they are curiosities. Gracie was certainly the bigger star when they were a team, and George Burns would often give her all the credit, even though he was talented himself.

Another comedy team I'd like to mention that I discovered recently is Ham and Bud, featuring Lloyd Hamilton and Bud Duncan. Supposedly they are a good watch for Three Stooges fans.

I’ve never seen a Ham and Bud film, though I have seen Lloyd Hamilton solo.  Ham and Bud goes back to the teens.

If you guys want a silent comedy trip, check out Ton of Fun.  I’ve only seen a few of their films, but it’s it’s basically three real heavy guys doing insane and destructive slapstick.  Pretty funny stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ton_of_Fun
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I know I’ve seen at least one Lloyd Hamilton film, but can’t remember the name of it. If I recall correctly, his style was a bit like Harry Langdon’s. I know Bud Duncan played the Cinnamon Bear on the radio show, but that’s the only thing I’ve ever heard him in. I had no idea these two were paired together.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Moose Malloy

PS:  Not that they're the best, but why doesn't Hope and Crosby ever get mentioned?  They were certainly good, and I'd say better than Martin and Lewis.

Crosby wasn't a comedian OR a strait man and being geezers they used stunt men for physical bits

I have 2 cents: Silent to depression era teams are too damn old and no one here ever saw them when they were hot.
3rd cent - Teams consisting of one funny guy and a singer just doesn't fly
4th cent - teams from the 60s to 70s (and I don't think any were mentioned here) like Stiiller and Meara,  Rowan and Martin, Martin and Rossi or Dudley Moore and that other Limey  were too weak

the nickel -  The best should have been a triple threat: live audiences, movies and TV and be a team you would most like to attend  your cocktail party - Bud and Lou  ;)

Offline metaldams

Crosby wasn't a comedian OR a strait man and being geezers they used stunt men for physical bits

I have 2 cents: Silent to depression era teams are too damn old and no one here ever saw them when they were hot.
3rd cent - Teams consisting of one funny guy and a singer just doesn't fly
4th cent - teams from the 60s to 70s (and I don't think any were mentioned here) like Stiiller and Meara,  Rowan and Martin, Martin and Rossi or Dudley Moore and that other Limey  were too weak

the nickel -  The best should have been a triple threat: live audiences, movies and TV and be a team you would most like to attend  your cocktail party - Bud and Lou  ;)

Crosby could do light comedy fine and Bob Hope was excellent.  Hope and Crosby never took themselves too seriously, unlike Lewis.  Lewis aimed for pathos at times and it never worked in my opinion.  Hope and Crosby also never bogged us down with almost two hour comedies.

Moose, hate to break it to you.  I was born shortly after the deaths of Moe and Larry and am old enough to be the father of some of the younger adult posters on this board.  A middle aged guy like me never saw The Three Stooges while they were hot but that’s no reason to stop me from appreciating them.  The same reason why it’s no excuse for a Baby Boomer not to like depression era and silent comics.  Now if you personally don’t care for them - fine.  But don’t use age as an excuse - you and I will be dead someday too.  The comedy can still be watched and loses no relevance just because Moose Malloy doesn’t remember them while they were hot.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Crosby could do light comedy fine and Bob Hope was excellent.  Hope and Crosby never took themselves too seriously, unlike Lewis.  Lewis aimed for pathos at times and it never worked in my opinion.  Hope and Crosby also never bogged us down with almost two hour comedies.

Moose, hate to break it to you.  I was born shortly after the deaths of Moe and Larry and am old enough to be the father of some of the younger adult posters on this board.  A middle aged guy like me never saw The Three Stooges while they were hot but that’s no reason to stop me from appreciating them.  The same reason why it’s no excuse for a Baby Boomer not to like depression era and silent comics.  Now if you personally don’t care for them - fine.  But don’t use age as an excuse - you and I will be dead someday too.  The comedy can still be watched and loses no relevance just because Moose Malloy doesn’t remember them while they were hot.
I've seen a little bit of Bob Hope, and he seems more like a stand-up comedian. I'm really not the biggest fan on stand-up comedy, so I'm not the biggest Bob Hope fan. Though I do want to watch the Road movies sometime.

Offline metaldams

I've seen a little bit of Bob Hope, and he seems more like a stand-up comedian. I'm really not the biggest fan on stand-up comedy, so I'm not the biggest Bob Hope fan. Though I do want to watch the Road movies sometime.

It’s been a long time since I’ve watched it, but ROAD TO BALI is public domain and really easy to watch on YouTube.

I reviewed ROAD TO MOROCCO a while back.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6610.0.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

I see I didn't express myself very well. My favorite team by the way,
 is the Stooges. It's not even close, and of course I wasn't around when they were hot

Let make an amendment to those cents: social impact. For example, the Beatles are considered the greatest band of all time despite the fact that they were not even the best band in Liverpool (Jerry and the Pace makers, Rory Storm) but
because of their social impact they were elevated in the eyes of the world, just like Marilyn Monroe in her field and Elvis in his

Not that impact is the be all-get all of it but it should be considered. In the world of comedy there is one team that stands head and shoulders above the rest: Dean and Jerry. Colgate paid them more money to do an hour ONCE a month than Sid Caesar and his crew made for four shows, and the ratings justified it, but even so I put them 3rd on my list behind the Boys and Abbot and C. (sorry to Minnie's boys)

But back to Crosby/Hope: first off I loved the road movies when I was a kid and they are still OK now, but I just don't think they were a comedy team; more like a movie comedy team. They had no act and didn't write the scripts. They teamed
up but were they really a team?

Offline HomokHarcos

I actually view The Three Stooges as more of a Depression era team than a boomer team. Curly would have quit the Three Stooges before baby boomers were even born (or old enough to remember).

Offline metaldams

I actually view The Three Stooges as more of a Depression era team than a boomer team. Curly would have quit the Three Stooges before baby boomers were even born (or old enough to remember).

Artistically, agreed.

As far as what generation they had the most impact on - Boomers.  They were huge on television, making feature films and doing live performances bigger than ever before from the late fifties to the mid sixties.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I see I didn't express myself very well. My favorite team by the way,
 is the Stooges. It's not even close, and of course I wasn't around when they were hot

Let make an amendment to those cents: social impact. For example, the Beatles are considered the greatest band of all time despite the fact that they were not even the best band in Liverpool (Jerry and the Pace makers, Rory Storm) but
because of their social impact they were elevated in the eyes of the world, just like Marilyn Monroe in her field and Elvis in his

Not that impact is the be all-get all of it but it should be considered. In the world of comedy there is one team that stands head and shoulders above the rest: Dean and Jerry. Colgate paid them more money to do an hour ONCE a month than Sid Caesar and his crew made for four shows, and the ratings justified it, but even so I put them 3rd on my list behind the Boys and Abbot and C. (sorry to Minnie's boys)

But back to Crosby/Hope: first off I loved the road movies when I was a kid and they are still OK now, but I just don't think they were a comedy team; more like a movie comedy team. They had no act and didn't write the scripts. They teamed
up but were they really a team?

I’ll never deny Martin and Lewis’s cultural impact at the time of their teaming.  You’re correct about that, absolutely huge.  I just think artistically, and this is obviously just my opinion, they don’t cut it.  I think Lewis had a few funny moments and was a gifted physical and gag comedian when he wanted to be - but he fell flat whenever he got into deep character.  Dean was a fine straight man, a better singer and was funniest when doing roasts.
- Doug Sarnecky