Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

DRACULA (1931)

Liz · 17 · 4334

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Since seeing this movie, I've fallen in love with Dwight Frye.  He's so hot, and he plays an amazing Renfield.  RIP Dwight.  I'm posting posting part 6 because at 6:49 Dwight just looks ridiculously hot. :P

[youtube=425,350]QWk8SzooWBo&feature=related[/youtube]
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

Since seeing this movie, I've fallen in love with Dwight Frye.  He's so hot, and he plays an amazing Renfield.  RIP Dwight.  I'm posting posting part 6 because at 6:49 Dwight just looks ridiculously hot. :P

[youtube=425,350]QWk8SzooWBo&feature=related[/youtube]

Later tonight, I'll have to find you a you tube clip of the song Alice Cooper dedicated to him, "The Ballad of Dwight Fry."  Arguably Alice's best song.

Dwight Fry, along with Bela and the art direction, is what makes DRACULA great.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Later tonight, I'll have to find you a you tube clip of the song Alice Cooper dedicated to him, "The Ballad of Dwight Fry."  Arguably Alice's best song.

I was just going to mention that song!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]KjrgZPhuL9o[/youtube]

Her 'tis, arguably Alice's masterpiece.  Dig that spoken word intro.

I gotta get... OUT-OF-HERE! IgottagetouttahereIgottagetouttahereIgottagethere!!!!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, you hear that mini-explosion around the 4:00 mark?  This is 1971 so they had to be creative.  They achieved that effect by dropping an Alka Seltzer in water and slowing down the sound.

Bob Ezrin is my second favorite producer behind George Martin.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Not a bad song, but I think it overemphasizes Dwight's character and makes the characters he played look like drug addicts instead of just schizos.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Boid Brain

Not a bad song, but I think it overemphasizes Dwight's character and makes the characters he played look like drug addicts instead of just schizos.
Renfield was not a schizo...he was a vampire intern.

But seriously, Liz, if you like him you will want to check him out as the gunsel, later played by Elisha Cook Jr. in an earlier version of "The Maltese Falcon". I don't remember if the title was the same, but it will be easy to find out....uh oh! Wait! He may have played Peter Lorre's Joel Cairo. (A fag part) It's been so long since I last saw it that I can't remember!

Check it out and tell ME. It comes on TCM (rarely) and who knows, it may be on You Tube.

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Renfield was not a schizo...he was a vampire intern.

But seriously, Liz, if you like him you will want to check him out as the gunsel, later played by Elisha Cook Jr. in an earlier version of "The Maltese Falcon". I don't remember if the title was the same, but it will be easy to find out....uh oh! Wait! He may have played Peter Lorre's Joel Cairo. (A fag part) It's been so long since I last saw it that I can't remember!

Check it out and tell ME. It comes on TCM (rarely) and who knows, it may be on You Tube.
Totally forgot to tell you, but I did check Dwight out in Maltese Falcon on YouTube sometime back.  Perfect and sexy as usual. :-*
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Seamus

I'm in the middle of reading Universal Horrors by Tom Weaver, and came across this quote from the man himself a couple weeks ago, lamenting his typecasting:

"If God is good, I will be able to play comedy in which I was featured on Broadway for eight seasons and in which no producer of motion pictures will give me a chance!  And please, God, may it be before I go screwy playing idiots, halfwits, and lunatics on the talking screen!"

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Saw that quote quite a few times, Seamus, but thanks for sharing!

I read somewhere that Dwight was an exceptional singer.  I really would like to hear that, as well as an interview, because he did accents in quite a bit of his films (Man to Man, for instance).
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Seamus

Has anyone seen the Spanish-language version of Dracula that was filmed concurrently with this one?  I haven't given my copy a spin yet.  The general opinion seems to be that the director runs circles around Browning, but the actor playing the lead isn't operating anywhere close to Lugosi's level. 

I'm also assuming it's Frye-less, so Liz probably wouldn't be interested.  ;)

Offline metaldams

Has anyone seen the Spanish-language version of Dracula that was filmed concurrently with this one?  I haven't given my copy a spin yet.  The general opinion seems to be that the director runs circles around Browning, but the actor playing the lead isn't operating anywhere close to Lugosi's level.  

I'm also assuming it's Frye-less, so Liz probably wouldn't be interested.  ;)

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  The Spanish DRACULA, while still slow in parts like the American version due to being an early talkie, is overall better paced.  

The spanish version also has Lupita Tovar as Mina, and she absolutely owns Helen Chandler in that role.  She also absolutely will probably live a longer life than any of us.  She'll turn 101 next month.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
The spanish version also has Lupita Tovar as Mina, and she absolutely owns Helen Chandler in that role.  She also absolutely will probably live a longer life than any of us.  She'll turn 101 next month.
I did not like Helen Chandler.  Her voice was too high-pitched and she was overall very annoying.

Edited to say that in all honesty, I think Helen Chandler is the reason why blonde jokes exist.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

I did not like Helen Chandler.  Her voice was too high-pitched and she was overall very annoying.

Edited to say that in all honesty, I think Helen Chandler is the reason why blonde jokes exist.

So then, does David Manners run a close second to Dwight Frye for you?  ;D  Talk about a milquetoast performance!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
So then, does David Manners run a close second to Dwight Frye for you?  ;D  Talk about a milquetoast performance!
A little bit, lol.

But yeah, Dwight's amazing performance made Manners' (who's supposed to be the protagonist, Jonathan Harker) performance extremely stale.  I've never seen any of his other films, so I can't comment on his overall acting, but the truth of the matter is that Dwight Frye outshines everyone in Dracula, except for Lugosi and maybe even Edward van Sloan. 

If you want to see more of my thoughts, I've posted a review of Dracula on my blog.   
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

A little bit, lol.

But yeah, Dwight's amazing performance made Manners' (who's supposed to be the protagonist, Jonathan Harker) performance extremely stale.  I've never seen any of his other films, so I can't comment on his overall acting, but the truth of the matter is that Dwight Frye outshines everyone in Dracula, except for Lugosi and maybe even Edward van Sloan. 

If you want to see more of my thoughts, I've posted a review of Dracula on my blog.   

David Manners was also in THE MUMMY (different movie, same role) and THE BLACK CAT (somewhat more tolerable).  He was a never a fan of his horror roles and from what I hear, never took them seriously.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
David Manners was also in THE MUMMY (different movie, same role) and THE BLACK CAT (somewhat more tolerable).  He was a never a fan of his horror roles and from what I hear, never took them seriously.
And we can see that clearly in Dracula.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!