Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ten favorite horror movies

Offline metaldams

It's October, we got a Hammer thread, we got a Jekyll and Hyde thread, so let's just list our ten favorite horror movies.

No particular order.

THE BLACK CAT (1934)
SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939)
THEATER OF BLOOD (1973)
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (1968)
THE BODY SNATCHER (1945)
WITCHFINDER GENERAL (1968)
THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES (1971)
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
WHITE ZOMBIE (1932)
TARGETS (1968)

Bound to change any minute, and I'll write deeper comments if this thread takes off and I'm not feeling so damn lazy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline pipboytaylor

Good Idea!

The Haunting (1963)
The Legend Of Hell House (1973)
The House On Haunted Hill (1959)
The Shining (1980)
Psycho (1960)
The Birds (1963)
Halloween (1978)
Clownhouse (1988)
The Woman In Black (1989)
Dark Night Of The Scarecrow (1981)

Gimme atmosphere, low blood/violence, lean toward the classic spookfests.

metaldams, I've only seen Witchfinder, Dr. Phibes and Abbot & Costello Meet from your list. I knew Witchfinder General  as "The Conquerer Worm" and thought it was actually pretty brutal for a Vincent Price film. It's been a few years since I viewed it but that is how I recall it. Love Dr. Phibes! I alos found Price's "Pit And The Pendulum" to be equally interesting and "House Of Wax" is always a good staple. I have the DVD of "House Of Wax" and thought it was also a nice time capsule to view the extra feature "Mystery Of The Wax Museum" (1933). Surprisingly good. It is really tough to find a good atmospheric haunted house film.  The Haunting & Woman In Black ooze atmosphere!

What can you tell me about "The Black Cat"?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
DRACULA (1931)
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933)
THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
THE WOLF MAN (1941)
HOUSE OF WAX (1953)
PSYCHO (1960)
HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1970)
JAWS (1975)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Wolf Man
Bride of Frankenstein
House of Frankenstein
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankstein
Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
An American Werewolf in London
Werewolf of London
Son of Frankenstein
Dracula's Daughter

As you can probably tell by my list, I'm partial to a lot of the old Universal horrors, though I have to shamefully admit that I've yet to see some of the highly touted Karloff/Lugosi films like The Black Cat or The Raven. Maybe when I ever get around to seeing them, I could add them to the list.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

What can you tell me about "The Black Cat"?[/color]

Well, it's a 1934 Universal Horror with Lugosi and Karloff starring, and out of all their collaborations, it is the one where they both have equal importance.  Lugosi plays a good guy with a sinister edge, a Hungarian WWI vet who basically confronts his enemy Karloff, who plays a Satanist living in an awesome looking house.  I won't give away too many plot details, but it involves love triangles, necrophilia, muder, torture chambers, superstition......the standard 1934 Hollywood fare.  Great movie.

From a Stooge point of view, character actress Lucille Lund plays an important role.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

metaldams, I've only seen Witchfinder, Dr. Phibes and Abbot & Costello Meet from your list. I knew Witchfinder General  as "The Conquerer Worm" and thought it was actually pretty brutal for a Vincent Price film. It's been a few years since I viewed it but that is how I recall it.

It's definitely violent for its time, especially Price's death scene!  It was 1968, so the Code just ended and filmmakers were starting to figure out what they could get away with.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Here's my top 10. Not really my all time favorite horror movies, but my fav horror movies for Halloween.

Halloween (1978)
An American Werewolf in London(19??)
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
THE WOLF MAN (1941)
The Birds (1963)
War of the worlds(19??)
HOUSE OF WAX (1953)
DRACULA (1931)

Offline JazzBill

Frankenstein
Dracula
The Wolf Man
The Pit And The Pendulam
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Night Of The Living Dead
Psycho
Jaws
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Young Frankenstein
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I said bound to change any minute, but geez, how can I forget THE LODGER?  A Fox 1944 film that was a very pleasant surprise a few Halloweens ago. 

Nice lists so far, guys.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
In chronological order and dominated by the Universal classics.

Nosferatu (1922)
Dracula (1931)
Dracula (Spanish Language 1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Mummy (1932)
The Invisible Man (1933)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Psycho (1960)
Halloween (1978)
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Dracula (Spanish Language 1931)

This was the best version of dracula, as it was unedited/longer. Cant believe how tame the stuff was they cut, boy have times changed.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, the Spanish Language Dracula is probably my favorite horror film of all time. It might not have Bela but overall it tops the English Language version.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, the Spanish Language Dracula is probably my favorite horror film of all time. It might not have Bela but overall it tops the English Language version.

Ah, thats right Bela wasn't even in it. Man, the memory sure goes when you get old.  :D

Offline Bud_Jamison

In no particular order

Frankenstein - 1931
The Wicker Man - 1972
Witchfinder General - 1968
Frankenstein Created Women - 1967
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - 1969
The Exorcist
Curse of the Werewolf
The Devil Rides Out
Dracula Prince of Darkness
House of Frankenstein

Offline pipboytaylor

Thanks for the input metaldams.

Each year about this time, I try to choose one spooky classic to view that I have not seen. This season I decided to go with Bob Hope's "The Ghost Breakers"! Lighten up the mood!

Offline SlyVenom

In No Particular Order:

Shutter (Thailand)
A Tale of Two Sisters (Korea)
Phone (Korea)
Cinderella (Korea)
The Ghost (Korea)
Whispering Corridors (Korea)
Cello (Korea)
One Missed Call (Japan)
Audition (Japan)
Suicide Club (Japan)

Honorable Mention:
Dog Soldiers (UK)
Evil Dead II (US)
And Anything Pre-Color Movies

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the input metaldams.

Each year about this time, I try to choose one spooky classic to view that I have not seen. This season I decided to go with Bob Hope's "The Ghost Breakers"! Lighten up the mood!

THE GHOST BREAKERS is excellent, though I've never seen the talkie version of THE CAT AND THE CANARY.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

In No Particular Order:

Shutter (Thailand)
A Tale of Two Sisters (Korea)
Phone (Korea)
Cinderella (Korea)
The Ghost (Korea)
Whispering Corridors (Korea)
Cello (Korea)
One Missed Call (Japan)
Audition (Japan)
Suicide Club (Japan)

Honorable Mention:
Dog Soldiers (UK)
Evil Dead II (US)
And Anything Pre-Color Movies

You're into a world of Asian horror I have not checked out.  I'll have to imdb some of those titles.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

DRACULA Vs. Spanish DRACULA

Overall, the latter is a better movie.  It's longer but somehow manages to be better paced.  I also like Lupita Tovar (who I believe is still with us) much better than Helen Chandler in the Mina role.

But, and this is a big but (insert Sir Mix A Lot song here), the English version does have Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye.  Also, the first 20 minutes of the English version are among the best 20 minutes in film history, it's just the rest of the film, minus a brief scene or two, is early talkie stage bound Hell. 

But still, those 20 minutes!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

In no particular order

Frankenstein - 1931
The Wicker Man - 1972
Witchfinder General - 1968
Frankenstein Created Women - 1967
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - 1969
The Exorcist
Curse of the Werewolf
The Devil Rides Out
Dracula Prince of Darkness
House of Frankenstein

Do you know I've yet to see THE WICKER MAN?  I really need to remedy that.  I've seen every other film on that list.

My ex-girlfriend actually saw the guy who played the priest in THE EXORCIST drinking at a bar shortly before he died.  He's from the Scranton, PA area just like her and sadly, I believe he died an alcoholic.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline SlyVenom

You're into a world of Asian horror I have not checked out.  I'll have to imdb some of those titles.
Overall I find the K-Horror, Korean horror movies, to be some of the scariest, they probably aren't for everybody but I really like them.
(fixed a grammatical error)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I hate to cast aspersions on Bud's list, but Wicker Man is not that good, and most definitely avoid the Nicolas Cage remake.

Offline Bud_Jamison

The original Wicker Man is a masterpiece, but not everyone's taste that's for sure.  Christopher Lee told me himself that he felt it was the best thing he ever did! (this was in 1998).

The Nicholas Cage remake is almost laughable, they should not have bothered.

Metal:  Have you sat down and watched "Frankenstein & The Monster from Hell" yet?

Offline metaldams

The original Wicker Man is a masterpiece, but not everyone's taste that's for sure.  Christopher Lee told me himself that he felt it was the best thing he ever did! (this was in 1998).

The Nicholas Cage remake is almost laughable, they should not have bothered.

Metal:  Have you sat down and watched "Frankenstein & The Monster from Hell" yet?

Speaking of Christopher Lee, did you check out the interview he did this year with Tony Iommi in Metal Hammer magazine?  It was great, and Christopher Lee refers to Iommi as a young man, then goes on to mention how he's old enough to Iommi's father (which is true).  Then Lee talks about playing golf with Alice Cooper and seeing David Bowie in concert.  Definitely worth hunting down.

No, I have not seen FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL.  I know, I'm slacking.   :(  I'll have to remedy this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Herman

Okay, but what is the best Stooge Halloween short?