Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ten favorite horror movies

Offline Curly4444

The Nicholas Cage remake was ok, I just didn't like the ending. Though the ending wasn't as bad as "drag me to hell's" ending.

Offline SlyVenom

The Nicholas Cage remake was ok, I just didn't like the ending. Though the ending wasn't as bad as "drag me to hell's" ending.
I really liked Drag me to Hell, but I am a big fan of Sam Raimi, and that movie had a lot of Evil Dead II's fun in it...

Offline Curly4444

Drag me to hell had one of the worst endings. The mist was a close second.

*******Spoilers below******

The whole plot of the movie was this hot chick trying to save herself from being dragged to hell. The whole movie your rooting for her and then at the very end shes dragged to hell anyway. So what was the whole point of the movie?? You might as well just skip to the ending, see her dragged to hell, and call it a night.  [bash] [bitchin]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't remind me about The Mist. What a celluloid turd that was.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Don't remind me about The Mist. What a celluloid turd that was.

I was liken it all the way to the end, then i was like F-You Mr. Stephen King.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931)
NOSFERATU (1922)
DRACULA (1931)
DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1969)
PSYCHO (1960)
BLOOD ON THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971)
DRACULA (1992)
DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1920)
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)
FRANKENSTEIN (1910)
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just saw one of the worst horror films ever called The Human Centipede. You would think that by the title it is one of those low budget flicks from the 50's but it is fairly recent and very stupid. 3 people are surgically attached by a crazy German doctor to walk around like a centipede (I'll let you figure out the rest). It might sound cool but it was actually very lame.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I just saw one of the worst horror films ever called The Human Centipede. You would think that by the title it is one of those low budget flicks from the 50's but it is fairly recent and very stupid. 3 people are surgically attached by a crazy German doctor to walk around like a centipede (I'll let you figure out the rest). It might sound cool but it was actually very lame.

I saw the trailer for this.  I'm assuming you heard about this from Howard Stern, since my brother's also a big fan and that's where he heard about this.  Pretty strange shit.

By the way Jim, I forgot to tell you, after the game I went to in Fenway in July, I actually ran into Robin Quivers.  My brother ran up to her like a fanboy little bitch, kissed her hand, and said he loved her.  She seemed flattered. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
ROFL, I know she has a nephew in the Boston area so that's probably why she was there. If I had seen her there is no way I would have approached as I'm sure she gets hassled enough by fans. But yeah I heard about it from the Stern Show. It has an IFC Films tag on it (which surprised me). It's kinda like a stupid, cheesy horror flick from the 50's-80's but totally devoid of any charm.

Offline metaldams

ROFL, I know she has a nephew in the Boston area so that's probably why she was there. If I had seen her there is no way I would have approached as I'm sure she gets hassled enough by fans. But yeah I heard about it from the Stern Show. It has an IFC Films tag on it (which surprised me). It's kinda like a stupid, cheesy horror flick from the 50's-80's but totally devoid of any charm.

I'm the same way with celebrities.  The only time I would ever approach one is if I was at an event where they were there for the purpose of meeting fans.  I could never approach one in say, a restaurant.  I totally agree celebrities get hassled by enough fans and deserve their privacy.  My brother is different.

My brother did the exact same thing (minus the hand kissing and devotion of love) to Tony Graffanino, who actually lives in the town next to mine.  It was new years Eve '05/'06 and Tony walked into the liquor store my brother was working at at the time.  After my brother saw the name on the debit receipt when Tony was about to leave the store, he ran into the parking lot and chased after him.  I could never do that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Hopefully he doesn't do that all the time, as with the wrong people that could get you shot.  :-\

Offline vomit

In no particular order:

1) The Exorcist
2) The Omen
3) Blair Witch
4) silence of the Lambs
5) Jaws
6) Nightmare on Elm street
7) Night of The lIving Dead
8) American werewolf in London
9) The Thing (1982)
10) From hell it Came

Good stuff.
Specto Caelum!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I procured a copy of an Indonesian flick called "Mystics In Bali" that looks quite interesting having heard about it on an article on cracked.com. I'll let you guys know if it is any "good".

http://www.cracked.com/article_18776_the-5-most-baffling-horror-movies-from-around-world_p2.html

Offline SlyVenom

I procured a copy of an Indonesian flick called "Mystics In Bali" that looks quite interesting having heard about it on an article on cracked.com. I'll let you guys know if it is any "good".

http://www.cracked.com/article_18776_the-5-most-baffling-horror-movies-from-around-world_p2.html
Nice! I had heard a little about this movie before reading that article, but now I am half tempted to track that one down myself.  :D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I cannot even begin to explain what is going on and why in Mystics In Bali. Some young lady wants to learn the dark arts (for what reason I don't know) and learns from an evil witch in the woods. Said witch then uses the young ladies' head to perform quick but painful abortions because she (the witch) needs blood. Then there are the good guys, the young ladies' boyfriend and his uncle who apparently has a twin brother that runs around in a turban and diaper or something like that. I need to smoke whatever they smoke in Indonesia.

I also watched the sequel to 1931's Dracula: Dracula's Daughter. It's noted for having a lesbian subtext that is considered racy for the time period but I think people are making too much out of it. After all, Dracula's Daughter wants to spend eternity with the male shrink. On the whole I found the movie rather boring and I asked aloud "if this takes place in London then why does no one have a British accent?"

Offline Bud_Jamison

Classic 70's Hammer double feature tonight...

Twins of Evil
& Vampire Circus!!

Offline Curly4444

They had curse of Frankenstein on Friday night. It was real good, never seen that one before.

Offline metaldams

Well, I did catch THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS yesterday morning and really enjoyed it.  I'll comment more on that one in the Bowery Boys thread soon, but other than that, my horror viewing has been non-existant.  It's because I either have plans, am working, or am watching the World Series.  I'm going to try to get someone to DVR THE MAD MAGICIAN for me today, as I won't be near a TV screen when that one's on either.

I'll just have to do more horror movie watching in November.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

I'll just have to do more horror movie watching in November.

I'm with you.  I've been DVRing and loading up my Netflix queue with macabre movies at a faster pace than I can take them in, so Halloween viewing is getting extended to November.  I recorded THE MAD MAGICIAN as well, as part of the Vincent Price binge I've been indulging in this week.  Last night the wife went to a Halloween party while I stayed home, settled down with a bottle of wine, and watched VP in THEATRE OF BLOOD.  It was a sublime evening.  I drunkenly declared it the best horror movie ever before I passed out on the couch.

I loved TCM's Hammer marathons on Friday nights, but did anyone else detect a touch of distaste in Robert Osborne's intros to the movies?  He likes to emphasize that Hammer was a movie "factory" whose movies appealed to "a certain type of audience."  I mean, fair cop, but it's like the guy hates fun.  The subtext of his intros is, "OK, pleebs, here's another Hammer lollypop, I'll be in the back room discussing Olivia de Havilland's wardrobe designer with with Alec Baldwin."

Offline Bud_Jamison

Seamus,

Theatre of Blood is a masterpiece!  Love it.  "Mr Meredith Meredew, Here is you r dish?"

& Robert Osbourne can certainly go F%@k himself.  Not worthy of introducing the Hammer classics!

Offline metaldams

Well, I did have time to catch BUCKET OF BLOOD on TCM today.  It was my second viewing and I enjoyed it as much the second time as the 1st.  A great mixture of camp, commentary on high-art snobbery (in the form of beatniks), and well......fuck it, it's just a fun movie.

So Seamus, your wife goes alone to a Halloween party while you watch THEATER OF BLOOD.  The last time I see my ex-girlfriend was at a Halloween party where she declared THEATER OF BLOOD "boring."  That's obviously not the reason why we're no longer speaking, but it makes for nice symbolism.  How can anybody find that movie boring?  Vincent Price as a gay hairdresser alone is worth the price of admission, and that's only one of many reasons why THEATER OF BLOOD is great. 

The only somewhat logical complaint about THEATER OF BLOOD is that it's unoriginal as it's structurally very similar to THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES, but so what?  Sometimes you cannot get enough of a good thing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

Theatre of Blood is a masterpiece!  Love it.  "Mr Meredith Meredew, Here is you r dish?"

I got hysterical at the sight of Vincent and his gang sneaking into Merridew's house dressed as poncy chefs after luring away the policeman on guard using a decoy Vincent Price.  In fact, just describing that scene gives me a warm glow.

Metal:  I bowed out of the party (more like an all-night card game with costumes) cause I'd already started in on the wine and didn't feel like leaving the house.  But the missus is always game for a campy movie, and in fact I wish now that I'd saved TOB for when she was home to see it.  She'd have gotten huge laugh out of it (except for the dogs-in-a-pie scene, that would not have gone down well).  I'd say you were fortunate to find out about your ex's apathy toward THEATRE OF BLOOD before things got too far with you two.  I think a potential mate's response to this movie is a good litmus test for compatibility.

The PHIBES comparisons can't be avoided, but it makes for interesting side-by-side comparisons.  PHIBES is a lighter and artier take on the novelty comedy serial murder formula, with Vinny the P hindered by the (admittedly creative and aesthetic) "speaks-though-an-amp-plugged-into-his-neck" contrivance.  TOB takes the same idea and ramps up the grit and gore without losing the comedy, and more importantly ramps up the Vincent Price, who (let's face it) is playing the role he was born to play - a hammy stage actor reeking murderous revenge on his critics for wounding his ego.  His powers are absolutely unleashed in this movie.

Offline Curly4444

Are these all the Hammer Horror Films??

The Mummy (1959)
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)
The Mummy's Shroud(1966)
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

Dracula (1958)
The Brides of Dracula (1960)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
Scars of Dracula (1970)
Dracula AD 1972 (1972)
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

One Million Years B.C. (1966)
Slave Girls (1968)
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)
Creatures the World Forgot (1971)

Offline metaldams

Are these all the Hammer Horror Films??

The Mummy (1959)
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)
The Mummy's Shroud(1966)
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

Dracula (1958)
The Brides of Dracula (1960)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
Scars of Dracula (1970)
Dracula AD 1972 (1972)
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

One Million Years B.C. (1966)
Slave Girls (1968)
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)
Creatures the World Forgot (1971)

No, there are way more.  Of course, there's no such thing as a definitive list as to what's horror and what's not, as genre interpretations vary.

Here's a list of Hammer films on imdb.  Lots of them are horror, but they made other types of movies too.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103101/
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, i see what you mean. Theres others like Night Creatures.